Barcelo Bavaro Caribe Resort CONCERNS...are they warranted??

tvldeals

Jul 15, 2006
I was wondering if the rooms at the Barcelo Bavaro Caribe or in general at this whole resort, have been renovated recently or when the recent renovation was?

I found some pics on webshots and it appeared the bespreads for the most part looked like just a white sheet and not even a regular bedspread...LOL, anyhow looked really tacky. Is that fruit wallpaper behind the headboards still there too?
Boy that's dated as all get out!!!!!

As well have they replaced the bathroom fixtures and so forth?

Considering the resort is 20 some years old, it has me wondering.

I'm certainly not expecting the greatest here outside of perhaps the beach and hopefully the food will be halfway decent.

I am far from being picky but having just stayed in June at the Barcelo Maya Beach Resort in Riviera Maya, MX .....this might be a total about face, compared to that, considering the resort there was only 5 years old.

I know a vacation is all what you make it but since we are only staying 4 nites I surely hope we aren't going to be dealing with cockroaches, leaky ceilings, rats in the room, no air condiitioning, broken toilets or showers....(as others have mentioned) ......you know you read so many bad reviews on TripAdvisor like "don't touch this place with a BARGE pole"....LOL. Maybe I need to quit reading those.

Have they also replaced the loungers at this resort? I see some pics with the open weave ones (those are so uncomfortable) and then some like we had in Mexico at the Barcelo there, which were NOT open weave and all one piece fabric, way better..

I guess you would think after nearly 10 years since I read the last renovation was done in 1997, it would be a priority to start the second round of new renovations now LOL

I am surprised that as nice as the property was in Mexico there and so well kept, that the property here seems so run down.

Of course for $41 per nite (as a couple) for the room at least, maybe we should not be complaining, but with our AIR it came to as much as the 7 nite stay we had in Mexico for $1200. However I have a feeling this stay, won't even come close to our trip there.

Sure could use some words of wisdom from those in the know here.

Thanks again for your help, all of you.

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Tvldeals,

I can't give you any of the information that you have requested as I don't have that experience but hopefully one of our members can help you out with your questions. However I did note that you said, "I know a vacation is all what you make it", and from your post it sounds as though you have already made up your mind that your visit with us is going to be a disappointment to you. I honestly hope that you change your mental attitude in that respect as many people enjoy their vacation here in the DR and as you said "it's all that you make it".

Rick

tvldeals

Jul 15, 2006
Oh I know what you are saying, and actually it's not our first time to the DR, we were there in Aug 2002, and stayed at was is now the Palladium. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay there....

Its only the resort this time I am concerned about....as far as the DR, we absolutely loved it....

tvldeals

Jul 15, 2006
OK with no comments, I'm only left with trying to resolve this issue in my head, on my own...

Realistically the resort is 20 years old. We are paying $40 per nite at the 75% OFF special. For that matter we couldn't eat 3 meals a day or stay at the cheapest run down motel for that price in the states here. And that covers 2 people.

It is a risk but even on TripAdvisor this resort rated 3-1/2 out of 5 stars. Guess I'd be a a bit more concerned if it was scoring like a one star and never EVER read a good review.

I found these reviews as well as 14 one minute VIDEO CLIPS of both the BARCELO Bavaro Beach and Caribe Resort taken as recently as September. Click on the resort links for each there and scroll to the bottom then to select each video clip taken by travelers.

Again once you click on the resort, (Barcelo Bavaro Beach or Barcelo Bavaro Caribe) then select the tab at the top that says Hotel Pictures & Videos The videos are then displayed at the bottom of the page.

All of them seemed to think the whole complex was great.

http://www.zoomandgo.com/placestostay/quicksearchresults.asp?Destination=&HotelName=Barcelo

Anyhow after watching these, it appears this place is not nearly as bad overall, as some might make it out to be. The videos even show inside the bathrooms and rooms themselves as well as the lobby, beach, pool area, restaurants and buffets. Since most were taken just this past September, and NOT doctored up, it helped to give us a better perspective.

As far as the resort food, I am thinking it's going to be comparable to the one resort owned by Barcelo in the Riviera Maya. And even then, I did not go without incident there, as far as some stomach upset at one point. In fact it lingered awhile after we returned from our trip there, last month.

I chalk it up to OVER-indulging on a overwhelming amount of food choices, not to mention the abundance of spices used and different foods consumed that ordinarily I might not eat here at home.

Mix all that with the alcohol consumed (those Co-Co Locos more often than not) and this probably did me in more than anything.

I am using a bit more moderation this NEXT time anyhow....well so I say!!

While other resorts may be better, more upscale and the like, we grabbed this for the super DEAL we got. Money was a factor since we only just returned from Mexico last month and generally are only able to take one vacation a year.

So rationalizing it in my head.....for the price of ONE vacation at a very upscale property in either area, we are able to take 2 this year.

Thats how I have to view it....

freekofweek

Feb 22, 2005
I have been to the Barcelo Resort several times !!!

First let me tell you that the 75% off discount is without Dominican taxes !!
The various Dominican taexes for tourist will put the cost much higher than $45. Most of the Barcelo complex is over 20 years old and the answer is NO, the Spanish owners have NOT put any money back into this site.
The resort is very similar to a Motel 6 room. If you are only going to be in the room for sleeping, it is OK - but then I am not hard to please.
Food is fair at best. Swimming pools and beaches are very clean and beautiful.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
hi Freekofweek,
i don't know where you got all your precise deatils from, but i don't think that you know punta cana or the barcelo resort very well. the 20 years old part of the resort is the Barcelo Bavaro Beach Hotel only, not the resort like it is builded today, and that beach hotel complex been overhauled several times til then, like all 6 complexes in the resort have each low season several buildings closed for renovations. the resort is located on the most beautiful beach of the island, very quiet waters, amazing pool areas and they run their own golf course, food is better than in most restaurants of your own country even if it's inclusive ina $40.- per day fee plus taxes.
the only problem i see at that resort the last 12 months is that the owners deal more and more with south american and spanish youth groups travel agents, so the quiet family style from before switched to more party-time style, that's the only reason why i would not recommend this resort to a family looking for a quiet vacation.
have fun
Mike