Unlocking Verizon cell phone?

Rimmyrimrim

Aug 2, 2006
I just spoke with Verizon Wireless... they said that their phones were not able to be unlocked!

Can I, do I have to, or should I unlock the phone before leaving the United States? If so, how do I do it, and what does it cost?

Much obliged to all responders!

(Sorry if this is a retread thread (nice rhyme, eh?), but I searched)

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
There are small shops selling/repairing/activating phones about every other block in every city in the DR. The "technico" will unlock your phone and activate it with either Verizon DR or Centennial for a small fee.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Most verizon phones in The US are CDMA technology and DO NOT get unlocked! GSM phones like Sprint or Cingular need to be unlocked.

Just bring your Verizon phone to a Verizon Kiosk/store in the DR and they will activate your phone locally, and give you a new (829) DR number for FREE. Just buy a calling card. A NON Verizon store will try to charge you for this FREE service.

What city are you going to?

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
It does not cost ANYTHING!

Go to The Verizon office on Calle 30 de Marzo around the corner from el Conde. It takes 10 minutes if they are not busy.

Did I mention it is FREE to activate your phone @ Verizon?

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Rimmyrimrim said:
I'll be in Santo Domingo... Any idea what I should expect to pay?

..and thanks so much!
Take it to a verizon shop and they will do it for 100 pesos (3 dollars) reprogramming.
have fun.
AZB

P.S. do not get tircom service as they are giving away free minutes but you will never be able to use up their free minutes. You will not be able to recieve or make calls. The free minutes are offered to attract suckers. Verizon has the best service in this island.

Rimmyrimrim

Aug 2, 2006
sorry, I posted at the same time you did. Didn't see your post before I posted.

But, thanks a ton for the info!

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
AZB:

I have NEVER paid to activate my NY Cell @ a Verizon office my man.
I have done this in Santiago, SDQ, as well as Sosua in Playero.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Tamborista said:
AZB:

I have NEVER paid to activate my NY Cell @ a Verizon office my man.
I have done this in Santiago, SDQ, as well as Sosua in Playero.
If your verizon cell phone already has the PRL programmed then you pay nothing at all. Now if you bring in a fresh CDMA cell phone from USA, then you have to have PRL installed inside the phone and in santiago, they charge 100 pesos in plaza paseo. Now there might be some places where the activation and PRL is totally free but not in PLaza Paseo, they will do it right there while you wait. I think Tricom does everything for free but I wouldn't get their service even if they give me 1000 minutes free.
AZB

Kevyboy

May 12, 2005
So, If I have a CDMA phone used in Canada, that I do not use anymore, I could bring it there and have it reprogrammed for 100 pesos and use it there?

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Just go to The Verizon Kiosk in the large Playero, on the right hand side as you walk in, and she will activate your CDMA phone for free. Buy a card for a few hundred Pesos! The girl speaks perfect English. Lemme know how it works out please.

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
Anyone know how long you retain your phone number with Verizon if you leave the country with your phone and DR number programmed on it?

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Beads said:
Anyone know how long you retain your phone number with Verizon if you leave the country with your phone and DR number programmed on it?

Most phones have dual Nam's, so you can have one Nam programmed for your home country and the second Nam programmed for the DR.

It's much easier only having to carry one phone instead of switching back and forth. Ofcourse, this only works if th ecarrier you have back in your country is also CDMA. Else you are back to using 2 different phones.

Two ways to keep the number from the DR. The first I do not recommend even if you live here.

(1) Get a number that is by contract, not pre-paid. Pay by the month. EXPENSIVE!

(2) Use pre-paid cards, you can have up to 70 days to use the balance, before the 70 days are up, you if you are here , put in another pre-paid card, if not here, have a friend re-charge it for you. That's what I do, but then I am usually only gone from here for 3 months or less.

I usually buy the $250 pesos card, you get $50 pesos free each time. The more you put into the pre-paid, the more time they give you to use it, up to a max of 70 days.

NOTE: Make sure the technician is told "Many Times", use the second nam for Verizon here. They by defualt will wipe out your home number in Nam 1.....

MizCreant

Jul 6, 2006
Verizon Phones

My apologies right now for being cell phone lame.

Ok, I take my Verizon cell phone to the DR and it's reprogrammed for usage there. Then I buy my phone card. Now, am I correct in assuming that my Verizon must must be reprogrammed when I return to the US?

Thanks,
Miz:eek:

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
If done correctly in DR with NAM2 and not NAM1, you can do it yourself easily in the USA, or it takes 5 minutes on the phone with a Verizon Customer service when you get home.

Drugdog

Mar 28, 2003
If you use a "New" RAZR V3m purchased in the US and go to the local Verizon store and have them update the phone for international calling you will have ha very nice alarm clock for your vacation. Not even calling cards will work.

Tried the kiosk and local cell phone shops. Went to the main Verizon store in Puerto Plata and with them working and via land line telephone to Verizon customer service for 2 hours we still had 2 RAZR V3M alarm clocks. They told us several things which were of course our error. The best one they told us is that since we checked our voicemail in New Jersey that our phones were locked on that tower. After several trips to Verizon and several phone calls they were nice enough to take 15 days off our bill. What a joke. Cell Service is great if your phone works. Customer Service Stinks.

Kevin

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
A RAZR V3m has 2 NAMS, it takes under 10 minutes to activate for LOCAL usage @ Verizon Dominicana! This has nothing to do with Verizon USA or your Bill in the States, ' glad you got a Free 2 weeks for unrelated stupidity!

FYI, Verizon DR ROAMS for a price in DR, by doing nothing to the phone.

It is also sold locally by Verizon, you just had an ignorant rep.

http://www.verizon.com.do/productosyservicios/common/equipospcs/Motorola_V3_RAZR.asp