My Dominican American Story

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
i.love.it!!! Right down to the comments on the blog, I love every part of it.

Thank you for sharing your life. Let me tell you, you are one of the reasons why I love Dominican people. The "numbers" one cracked me up - my husband is addicted to the lottery (which I realize is somewhat different from "the numbers"), and if, by some chance, I forget to play the lottery one day, let me tell you, es un gran cosa! I'm in the doghouse, because he'd had a dream the night before, and for sure, those were the numbers that were going to win. I patiently look up the winning lotto numbers after they come out to show him that I wasn't this terrible little dreamstealer, and lo and behold, he hadn't gotten even one number right! But, in his mind, if I'd have played "his dream numbers", Dios queria cuidarnos, so his numbers would have been the winners...but since I didn't play, Dios lo di a otra gente. Probably Dominican people, too...I'm sure....

You also shared some insight as to why my husband's fathering skills are so...errr...traditional, and like you mentioned, a little iron-fist-like. Although I could never imagine him with firecrackers or even being drunk for that matter, I can definitely relate to the control of the remote, especially when the METS (no, not Yankees, definitely NOT) are playing and his beloved Pedro 'ta pichando.

I immensely enjoyed reading your blog, it's definitely refreshing and a welcome addition, esp. in light of recent blogs that have 'enhanced' our reading experience. I loved the travelogue articles, and look forward to future blog episodes.

Thanks again for sharing - I've saved you to my favorites, subscribed (you're NOT going to SPAM me, right?), and will patiently await future entries.

Last edited:

Led Black

Jun 21, 2006
Thanks

Trina - Thanks for the positive feedback, it is much appreciated. If you don't mind I would like to use your comments on the comments section of my blog.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Led Black said:
Trina - Thanks for the positive feedback, it is much appreciated. If you don't mind I would like to use your comments on the comments section of my blog.

Sure, but allow me to post them (now done). I meant every word I said, I thoroughly enjoyed reading your blog.

One question:
No 'pelia gallo' when you went back?

Last edited:

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Love the way you write, it brought me back to my many trips there. Your mom reminded me of my mommy RIP who's loved for the campo was stilled in me. Many Dominicans feel the way you do about the DR. Its true it must be in our DNA, the love for the island.

That was a close call, the accident in the pool, take it easy with the Brugal, LOL.

Very Nice writing.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Nice stories.

Assuming the powers that be allow it, could you let us know when you add a Dominican related entry to your blog.

JarabaRubia

Aug 1, 2006
I LOVED your Father's Day post! My "Papi" as I still call him, also calls Father's Day "El Dia de Los Perros". Last Sunday was Father's Day in DR and I called my Dad. I call him on both American and Dominican Father's Day.

My Dad was very quintessential Dominican in many ways, except for the whole tyrannical streak...that's my Mom. My Father considers himself a renaissance man and he would polish off an entire liter of Johnny Walker Black, listening to Los Panchos and writing long prose-filled letters to friends back in DR.

On Sundays, he would get up early, shower and dress himself up in his best suit....all the way down to cuff-links and silk pocket square and park himself on the couch frinking his "etiqueta negra" and listening to Toña La Negra, Carlos Gardel and a whole mess of other boleros.

Thank you so much for bringing back so many great memories!!!

Keila

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
I hope that you will be able to go to the Dominican-American National Roundtable conference this Oct. 6-8. Bring your stuff on! There is a panel on Dominicans in the Arts/lit and ent. It would be great if you could be on it. Spread the word. www.danr.org

D

Last edited:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Led Black, congratulations!

You have quite a talent for writing and expressing your thoughts.

Have you ever thought of publishing a book? Perhaps a memoir of your childhood? Or maybe even better would be a novel based on your own life experiences?

Whatever you do, don't lose your talent, again congratulations!

-NALs ;)

Led Black

Jun 21, 2006
Thanks!!!

I just wanted to thank everyone for taking the time to read my work as well as for posting such kind words. Part 2 of El Pale will be up in the next few days. Please forward the links to friends and family. Thanks again.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
great stories! made me think of this little music shop just south of houston street that not only sells great bachata but has a dice table there. WHen i walk in everyone gets all quiet...but then i nod at the table and just say i love latin music...share my ipod...and they smile and the gringo is welcomed in.

Now..i used to know of a bodega up in the heights that sold brugal extra veijo....if anyone can remind me or knows other places in manhattan please PM me.