text and data service?

rich17

May 1, 2006
aside from making and receiving calls. do any of the cell phones providers offer walky-talky service similars to nextel here in the u.s . how about data?(text messaging, internet service etc...?

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Yes they do. But textmessages don´t always work when sending from one company to another. ( Ie. Verizon phone to Orange etc ).
You can check the websites of each company. Usually it is the name of the company + com.do ( Orange.com.do / verizon.com.do ).

gamana

Apr 24, 2006
GPRS/EDGE ready

I have looked into Orange data services but it does not seem they are offering any. They have the technology in place though. The north coast has GPRS signal and, believe or not, Santiago is fully covered by EDGE network. Any GPRS phones from US or Europe can use the networks while in DR.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Verizon now offers a similar service to Nextel. Works great and most businesses using it, report cost savings on cell phone charges.

aside from making and receiving calls. do any of the cell phones providers offer walky-talky service similars to nextel here in the u.s . how about data?(text messaging, internet service etc...?

yakinodo

Jul 18, 2006
I have looked into Orange data services but it does not seem they are offering any. They have the technology in place though. The north coast has GPRS signal and, believe or not, Santiago is fully covered by EDGE network. Any GPRS phones from US or Europe can use the networks while in DR.

Does the EDGE network work on the North Coast as well?
Thanks

gamana

Apr 24, 2006
Edge

So far No. I have only been able to get an EDGE signal in Santiago, and a very good one.

The North Coast (part of it) is on GPRS which is still acceptable to send and receive emails on a GPRS capable device but not websurfing/downloads. The switch from GPRS to EDGE is minimal for the providers so it shouldn't took too long.

yakinodo

Jul 18, 2006

Gamana,
Is Edge network working on North Coast yet or still only GPRS?
Thanks
Yak

yakinodo

Jul 18, 2006
So far No. I have only been able to get an EDGE signal in Santiago, and a very good one.

The North Coast (part of it) is on GPRS which is still acceptable to send and receive emails on a GPRS capable device but not websurfing/downloads. The switch from GPRS to EDGE is minimal for the providers so it shouldn't took too long.

Excuse the last question...you already answered it. duh