driving from santiago airport to sun village

milleniunthug

Jul 2, 2006
I read this here before, but now I can't find it...I'm arriving in santiago and I'm renting a car to get to sun village, how long is the drive?, is it Duarte all the way?...I've never been to puerto plata or anything beyond santiago.

thanks for the help

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Autopista Duarte to Navarete, where you catch the North coast highway going East to Cofresi.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Why rent? It's a $60 cab ride with an English speaking driver....

Leave the driving to "them" ...

HB

milleniunthug

Jul 2, 2006
Hillbilly said:
Why rent? It's a $60 cab ride with an English speaking driver....

Leave the driving to "them" ...

HB
true, true...but after my 4 day stay in puerto plata I will be driving to san francisco de macoris for 3 days and then to santo domingo, so I figure a $200 car rental fee is not bad since I will be getting around...thanks for the replies

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
milleniunthug said:
true, true...but after my 4 day stay in puerto plata I will be driving to san francisco de macoris for 3 days and then to santo domingo, so I figure a $200 car rental fee is not bad since I will be getting around...thanks for the replies
What ever you do, remember the following tips:

1. Don't drive at night. The roads are fine, but its the cars with broken headlights and high speed drunk driving the problem! Also, in rural areas there could be cows, goats, you name it in the middle of the road or might jump out of nowhere onto the road, just in time for you to slam into them. Whatever you do, don't drive at night.

2. Don't take a risk with gasoline. When it hits half a tank, fill up. Many stations close after dark and sometimes, some stations may be short on gas. Other times you may not find a gas station for kilometers, especially in rural areas.

3. If you have really never driven in the DR, be cautious and never expect the other driver to actually follow the laws. Don't expect that because you have the right of way that it will be given to you. Also, be careful when a guagua gets in front of you. They do have a tendency to slam their brakes very often, even when they are going at high speeds on the main highways.

Also, technically driving laws in the DR are the same as the US, but few people follow them all the time. As in the US, you can pass a car by crossing onto the opposite lane in a two lane road only on the stretches where the yellow line closest to your lane is broken as oppose to a smooth long yellow line.

In the DR, people will pass you on the left regardless if the yellow median line is broken or straight and unbroken or if the yellow line does not exist on some roads.

Despite all of this, driving is pretty easy and straight forward, especially in certain stretches of the countryside along the main roads.

Good luck!

-NALs

dcwp26

Aug 11, 2006
I am also looking into flying into Santiago

Hillbilly---you seem to know quite a bit about this---how much would this cost--Santiago to Sun Village and how long will it take? How many people are in the taxi? Who do I contact to arrange for the taxi?

Thanks for all your help

Mark

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
In these cases I always suggest you contact Rocío Valerio at palomalinda0890@hotmail.com She and her husband "JJ" run a very good service that has earned kudos from all of her passengers.
Just tell her the day and date of your flight, the airline & flight number. They have a driver there with a sign with your name on it waiting for you as you leave Customs...

As to cost it should be about $55 door to door(You can ask
Rocío for the exact price, since gasoline prices cause changes). Only you and your party would use the taxi.

Be sure to book the return trip also, since with these new security rules a LOT more time is needed to check in....

Hope this helps,,

Cordially,

HB :D:D:D

dot

Jun 19, 2005
www.beyondthebeach.ca
There is an on-line auction and one of the items is round-trip transfer from STI to Puerto Plata area - compliments of Roc?o and JJ. It they are travelling after Sept. 4/06, they could bid on it. Many thanks to Gregg (FireGuy) for getting this donation! The money is going to the Children of the Dominican Republic

With just 10 days left , bidding has picked up and, a new item has been added:

Item #6:
Round-trip transportation from Santiago's Cibao Airport (STI) to the resort zone between Maimon (Riu) and Cabarete. This is offered by Rocio and JJ (well known, reliable and English speaking) who have ferried hundreds of tourists to the North Coast from STI. At least one of our directors has availed himself of this service and recommends JJ as a driver for this route.
Value $140US

All details available at http://onlinedr.proboards18.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=1149332880
Olive Thompson
President, Beyond The Beach Children's Foundation
http://www.beyondthebeach.ca

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
What ever you do, remember the following tips:

1. Don't drive at night. The roads are fine, but its the cars with broken headlights and high speed drunk driving the problem! Also, in rural areas there could be cows, goats, you name it in the middle of the road or might jump out of nowhere onto the road, just in time for you to slam into them. Whatever you do, don't drive at night.

2. Don't take a risk with gasoline. When it hits half a tank, fill up. Many stations close after dark and sometimes, some stations may be short on gas. Other times you may not find a gas station for kilometers, especially in rural areas.
3. If you have really never driven in the DR, be cautious and never expect the other driver to actually follow the laws. Don't expect that because you have the right of way that it will be given to you. Also, be careful when a guagua gets in front of you. They do have a tendency to slam their brakes very often, even when they are going at high speeds on the main highways.

Also, technically driving laws in the DR are the same as the US, but few people follow them all the time. As in the US, you can pass a car by crossing onto the opposite lane in a two lane road only on the stretches where the yellow line closest to your lane is broken as oppose to a smooth long yellow line.

In the DR, people will pass you on the left regardless if the yellow median line is broken or straight and unbroken or if the yellow line does not exist on some roads.

Despite all of this, driving is pretty easy and straight forward, especially in certain stretches of the countryside along the main roads.

Good luck!

-NALs

$5 a gallon for gasoline!!!!