Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question What to do in Puerto Plata Area?

Being new to Puerto Plata area, I would be interested to find out what to do in the evenings and on weekends...
    Handicap: only basic Spanish and no car.

Can you rent a car with a chauffeur and how much would that be?

Where do you go on a Friday or Saturday Night when you live here, and not in one of the All Inclusive hotels?

Is it safe for women at night? Is it ok to be by yourself and go somewhere or will people give you that ´funny´ look?

Can anybody give a tip on a nice, clean, down to earth but stylish restaurant? Does this exist outside the big hotels?
    Are there any jewels in the area?

Lots of questions but I am happy for any answer.

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you know where exactly you will be staying?
    Many people feel they are going to Puerto Plata, as that is the airport they are flying into, but it's actually in Sosua.
    The recommendations for Sosua and POP are quite different, so it would be useful for us to know where you will be staying.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank You Rocky for that quick reply. To clarify. Will be staying in the area near the Riu Hotels and Sun Village Hotel. Sorry, I do not know if that´s POP or Sosua. Was told it is POP...
    Does this direction help?

Post Thanks / Like

Yes it is in POP and I will defer to the POP residents for their suggestions.
    If you plan to make trips out to Sosua or Cabarete then we'll have some additional suggestions.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky
    Yes it is in POP and I will defer to the POP residents for their suggestions.
    If you plan to make trips out to Sosua or Cabarete then we'll have some additional suggestions.
    Sun Village ect are somewhere bewteen Costambar and Cofresi, aren´t they???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by carina
    Sun Village ect are somewhere bewteen Costambar and Cofresi, aren´t they???
    I do believe so.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Definately down to earth, but not very stylish are the cluster of pescadarias (seafood restaurants) located very close to you right on the North coast highway in Maimon. Every imaginable kind of seafood, fresh cought and expertly prepared at ridiculously low prices. If you want, you can pick your own fish from the days catch and tell them how you want it cooked. Langosta, cangrejo, and my favorite LAMBI A LA VINAGRETTE. Yummm!

You need to get there early. They are usually closed about sunset.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Then Café Negril in Costambar might be a nice place to go, owned by Mike - a nice guy.
    Maybe someone living in the area would have more suggestions.

In Puerto Plata, that would require taxi for you, Esquina by the postoffice is nice. Not very touristic, more middle/upperclass locals. Jazzmusic and great food.
    On the Malecon Swiss Jardin is popular.

Friday/Saturday are nothing special when you live here. People go out when they want, no matter of day of the week. Sunday is popular evening out, especially on the Malecon. Most people bring beer and play music from their cars. Might seem messy for an outsider, but it is the local way.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I was parked outside Cafe Negril in Costambar today and a sign said it was reopening next week as Pequeno Mundo, if I recall correctly.........Not sure if this means it has been sold or is merely having a name change, but the indications were that it won't be open until next week (day unspecified).

Sandi, Sun Village is Cofresi, the Riu hotels are at Maimon, both are in the province of Puerto Plata, but a way outside the town. If you won't have a car, as you say, might be an idea to find out whether area you will be living in is nearer to either Cofresi or Maimon. Costambar is yet another place. None of these are walkable to from each other unless you're really fit, but I wouldn't recommend walking at night on your own in any event. Daytime would be ok.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by carina
    Then Café Negril in Costambar might be a nice place to go, owned by Mike - a nice guy.
    Maybe someone living in the area would have more suggestions.
    love CAFE NEGRIL, love mike - great guy. has the best ribs on the north coast. is he really closed???

I also like Sole Mio Italian restaurant across from cafe negril. BEST hawaiian pizza i've ever had and their pastas are really good too. they open at 6pm.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast