What to do in Puerto Plata Area?

Sandi

Aug 3, 2006
Being new to Puerto Plata area, I would be interested to find out what to do in the evenings and on weekends...
Handicap: only basic Spanish and no car.

Can you rent a car with a chauffeur and how much would that be?

Where do you go on a Friday or Saturday Night when you live here, and not in one of the All Inclusive hotels?

Is it safe for women at night? Is it ok to be by yourself and go somewhere or will people give you that ?funny? look?

Can anybody give a tip on a nice, clean, down to earth but stylish restaurant? Does this exist outside the big hotels?
Are there any jewels in the area?

Lots of questions but I am happy for any answer.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Do you know where exactly you will be staying?
Many people feel they are going to Puerto Plata, as that is the airport they are flying into, but it's actually in Sosua.
The recommendations for Sosua and POP are quite different, so it would be useful for us to know where you will be staying.

Sandi

Aug 3, 2006
Thank You Rocky for that quick reply. To clarify. Will be staying in the area near the Riu Hotels and Sun Village Hotel. Sorry, I do not know if that´s POP or Sosua. Was told it is POP...
Does this direction help?

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Yes it is in POP and I will defer to the POP residents for their suggestions.
If you plan to make trips out to Sosua or Cabarete then we'll have some additional suggestions.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Rocky said:
Yes it is in POP and I will defer to the POP residents for their suggestions.
If you plan to make trips out to Sosua or Cabarete then we'll have some additional suggestions.

Sun Village ect are somewhere bewteen Costambar and Cofresi, aren?t they???

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Definately down to earth, but not very stylish are the cluster of pescadarias (seafood restaurants) located very close to you right on the North coast highway in Maimon. Every imaginable kind of seafood, fresh cought and expertly prepared at ridiculously low prices. If you want, you can pick your own fish from the days catch and tell them how you want it cooked. Langosta, cangrejo, and my favorite LAMBI A LA VINAGRETTE. Yummm!

You need to get there early. They are usually closed about sunset.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Then Café Negril in Costambar might be a nice place to go, owned by Mike - a nice guy.
Maybe someone living in the area would have more suggestions.

In Puerto Plata, that would require taxi for you, Esquina by the postoffice is nice. Not very touristic, more middle/upperclass locals. Jazzmusic and great food.
On the Malecon Swiss Jardin is popular.

Friday/Saturday are nothing special when you live here. People go out when they want, no matter of day of the week. Sunday is popular evening out, especially on the Malecon. Most people bring beer and play music from their cars. Might seem messy for an outsider, but it is the local way.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I was parked outside Cafe Negril in Costambar today and a sign said it was reopening next week as Pequeno Mundo, if I recall correctly.........Not sure if this means it has been sold or is merely having a name change, but the indications were that it won't be open until next week (day unspecified).

Sandi, Sun Village is Cofresi, the Riu hotels are at Maimon, both are in the province of Puerto Plata, but a way outside the town. If you won't have a car, as you say, might be an idea to find out whether area you will be living in is nearer to either Cofresi or Maimon. Costambar is yet another place. None of these are walkable to from each other unless you're really fit, but I wouldn't recommend walking at night on your own in any event. Daytime would be ok.

skyblue

Mar 20, 2006
carina said:
Then Caf? Negril in Costambar might be a nice place to go, owned by Mike - a nice guy.
Maybe someone living in the area would have more suggestions.

love CAFE NEGRIL, love mike - great guy. has the best ribs on the north coast. is he really closed???

I also like Sole Mio Italian restaurant across from cafe negril. BEST hawaiian pizza i've ever had and their pastas are really good too. they open at 6pm.

Estrella1

Jan 13, 2006
Cafe Negril is closed. It seems that the owners have thrown Mike out without long notice. Sole Mio is excellent also. Good food also in Blackbeard. As restaurant in Puerto Plata I could advise Jepol's and maybe Aguacerros (but very touristic). To go out at night I don't have any idea now with the new law. After Maimon, going to Imbert, you have the Rancho Tipico Las Avispas where I went last year. It was very nice. But you need a car or use the guaguas (not alone at night would be preferable). We should know more precisely if it is closer to Maimon or to Cofresi.

Sandi

Aug 3, 2006
Thank you so much for all your replies. Very helpful indeed. Will try all, one after another.
Today: went to Ocean World and it was awesome! They advertise a once in a lifetime experience but that was even better. For sure I will try all the encounters and swims with the animals.
Please keep those advises coming. They are great when you are the new kid on the block. Sandi