English School in Juan Dolio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dirty Girl

Jun 12, 2006
Does anyone know of an English School in Juan Dolio? I heard there was one but can't find any information about it.

STEVE G.

Bronze
Apr 2, 2006
community.webshots.com
Villas del Mar International School

Dirty Girl said:
Does anyone know of an English School in Juan Dolio? I heard there was one but can't find any information about it.

Juan Dolio
Villas del Mar International School

Villas del Mar International School offers quality education in the warm, friendly atmosphere. The purpose of this school is to give a solid academic foundation in the basic fundamentals of learning for the average and above average child.

Academic standards are high with added emphasis on humanism, patriotism and character training. Each student has a close, personal contact with well-qualified teachers who are prepared to give each student a thorough scholastics background.

The classrooms are properly equipped and air conditioned. Villas del Mar International School has provided an academic excellence in a caring environment since 1995.

FAQ

How does a student enrol?

Enrolment packets may be picked up at the school office at any time. A registration fee in non-refundable and non-transferable. This fee will hold the student's place until September payment is due. If there is no opening, the registration fee will hold a place on the waiting list and you will be notified when an opening becomes available.

When does the school begin?

PK to K5

Regular school hours are from 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.

Grades 1 to 6

Regular school hours are from 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.

Grades 7 to 12

Regular school hours are from 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.

Is bus transportation offered?

Villas del Mar International School offers transportation for students from Juan Dolio area, Boca Chica and San Pedro de Macoris. While we do not promise house to house service, we do our best to come as close to the house as possible.

Do you have an extended day program?

Extended school day is available for students in all grades until 4:30 p.m. Help class, homework, English as a second language and special classes such as music and sports are available.

Dirty Girl

Jun 12, 2006
Thanks

Hey Steve G. thanks for the informaton.l That's what I was looking for! I was trying to find something on the internet but I couldn't. And the friends I have there don't have kids so I didn't really want to ask them about school.
Thanks again!

pipero

Jan 19, 2008
moving to juan dolio

im a profesional baseball coach who's planning to move with my wife and daughter to juan dolio. ill be working at bocachica but my daughter needs a bilingual school and i heard the nearest was JD. Who could give me any info about it and a little of housing or apartment rent.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Housing and apartments start at around 400us$ for 2 bed apts up to wahtever you want to pay. pm me for more info

Matilda

DanaP

May 23, 2007
school

i am american and recently moved to juan dolio. my 5 year old son attends the english speaking school here and I rent in juan dolio as well. I've done research into the two engish speaking schools in the area and can give you what info i have. Let me know what info you'd like specifically and I'd be glad to help.

d

DrChrisHE

On Probation!
Jul 23, 2006
Congrats on your move. Our children attended Villas Del Mar International School in Juan Dolio last year and we chose to move them to the trilingual Los Pininos this year for a variety of reasons. We wanted our US born children to learn Spanish during our stay and they were learning NONE at VDMIS. There were other issues such as the serious encroachment of creationism in the science curriculum and philosophies over discipline. We've been ecstatic over Los Pininos and I'd be happy to share more info and/or give you their number. The private guagua picks them up at our door in the morning in JD and the school really feels like a family. They learned more Spanish in their first month at Los Pininos than almost a full year at VDMIS. The third language is French but the school does dual instruction for English and Spanish for all subjects (ie. math is in both, science in both, etc.
paz y salud,
DrChrisHE

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
There were other issues such as the serious encroachment of creationism in the science curriculum and philosophies over discipline.

Could you expand on these two issues if you don't mind? What was it about their MO that concerned you enough to move your children to another school?

pipero

Jan 19, 2008
thanks to everyone for the information.i didnt now this could really work.. my wifes major concern is the security around? someone could tell me more or less school fees and housing bills are like?i just want a space for me, my wyfe and 10 year old girl...what kinds of jobs could be found. were puertoricans and my wifes an english teacher over there. my email is pipemanin40@hotmail if someone could be more specific with any info

DrChrisHE

On Probation!
Jul 23, 2006
Differences in schools

Could you expand on these two issues if you don't mind? What was it about their MO that concerned you enough to move your children to another school?

First, I should say that clearly there are many happy parents with kids at VDMIS; however, we were not among them. When my child has a required science text that states "Fossils showing the geologic age of the earth to be millions of years old are lies..." I have a problem with it. These texts went on to say how scientists who claimed evolution was fact were blatantly lying. The use of scripture throughout science, spelling, literature, history and social studies was pervasive (in addition to having our kids there I taught 7-12th grade English for ONE MONTH and hated it in spite of being an award winning teacher at many levels).

As for discipline...what we saw was basically "All talk, no action" or NO consequences for egregious infringements of cheating, bringing cell phones/iPods/PSPs to class, disrespecting teachers and each other. The school SAID it took policy seriously but invariably let students off the hook and the students KNEW it so they acted worse (cursing at the teachers, performing mock sexual acts in classrooms, etc.) The kids in the 6th and below grades watched VIDEO teaching most of the time and I was NOT impressed by the quality of the videos.

IMNSHO...The administration really gave the impression that as long as you paid your bill, they really didn't care if your kids were learning.

Our experience at Los Pininos has been a complete about face from VDMIS. The teachers and administration truly seem to care and go out of their way to make your child's learning a successful experience (not just a way to get a grade on a test). We have monthly report cards and meetings (so far an hour PER child PER month) and I've met repeatedly with many of the teachers, the VP, Principal, and various advisors. If students are late, they're held accountable. It they are fooling around (our 9 year old thinks he's a clown) WE HEAR about it (which is what I want.)

Our kids are in 7th and 4th grade (we have one entering college too--whom we home schooled since 1st grade due to ADHD issues.) They have made honor roll all but one month since August. They have lots of hands on projects and the environment of the school is CLEAN (the bathrooms have soap, water, toilet paper and doors on the stalls--things missing from VDMIS.)

I know there will be folks who don't agree but this is OUR experience from UP close.
paz y salud,
DrChrisHE:bunny::bunny::bunny:

Fernandez

Bronze
Jan 4, 2002
Interesitng posts on the schools.
Where is Los Pininos located?
What are the approximate costs p.a. / per child at both schools.
thanks

DrChrisHE

On Probation!
Jul 23, 2006
The Los Pininos Collegio school is about 2 blocks from the Malecon in SPM off of the street that starts out as Jose Rojas (if you are headed from JD to SPM, when you get to the green rotunda go right as opposed to around the rotunda--that street is Jose Rojas; take it ALL the way--past the Cathedral and calle Duarte-- till you are a few blocks from the Malecon and it's on the left.) Los Pininos is--INCLUDING FOOD and TUITION--5200 RD/month per child. There's a matriculation fee in the beginning but it was substantially less than at VDMIS. They have a NICE guagua (with doors and seatbelts) that picks up in JD (and is even allowed into Metro unlike the VDMIS bus.) Having ridden on the VDMIS bus several times, I was NOT impressed by either the safety of it or the conduct of the kids.) The LP van is much smaller and civilized.

You'll have to as to the current prices for VDMIS but at the beginning of the year there was a substantial difference--especially with two kids. Both schools have other fees for books and labs too, and both require uniforms.
paz y salud,
DrChrisHE

Last edited:

chiquittabanana

Feb 11, 2004
Los Pininos

Do you know if they offer services for special needs children?

My daugther is Autistic and is receiving 20 hours of IBI at an Autistic school here in TO in the mornings and attends regular full integration JK in the afternoon.

If they do,, what grade do they start?

Thanks

CB

DanaP

May 23, 2007
Vdmis

I have certainly heard, in my short stay here, various ideas, stories and opinions (positive & negative) about both Villas del Mar & Los Pininos.

I wouldn't say that I absolutely LOVE VDMIS, but I feel good enough about it for now. My son is 5 and has learned how to write and do some reading very quickly. The bus picks him up at my doorstep, he has to ride the bus only a very short distance (avoiding a bus ride on the larger highway which i prefer) and his teacher & the other children seem nice enough. I definitely hear about video teaching and the physical education curriculum sounds slightly limited, but again, I am satisfied for now.

Admission entry cost is $12,000 (about US$400) this is a one time registration fee, tuition is anywhere from $3950/month for preschool/kinder which goes until only 12pm to $6200/month for 12th grade (~US$125-$200/month). There are the books & uniform expenses, about US $200 for us & other optional services; bus transportation $1000-$1700/month depending on where you live (US$30-$60), lunch $1500/month (US$40), aftercare services until 3pm for preschool/kinder $600/month (!US$20 which is dirt cheap!!!) etc...

They give a 10% discount for additional kids in one family or if you choose to pay in advance. Feel free to PM me if you have other questions.

buena suerte, d

DrChrisHE

On Probation!
Jul 23, 2006
Yes Dana there are always pros and cons to every school. Each family has to find the right fit for each child. For you it sounds like you have a good situation.

Our very quiet (but enormously popular) middle son was so traumatized by his experiences at VDMIS in 6th grade that he refused to go back. We have home-schooled our son who is going off to university and the other two at various times, but after investigating Los Pininos thoroughly, we decided to make the switch for this year. I must say that we are VERY pleased with the teaching, structure, diversity of theory (including a SCIENCE-BASED science program as opposed to a RELIGION based science program, art, PE, and the three language teaching. Our main issues with VDMIS were: serious encroachment of the more fundamentalist religious teaching into ALL areas of curricula (LP IS a religious based program as well--but it doesn't slam things like evolution); serious lack of consistent, firm discipline (the iPods, PSPs, & cell phones being pervasive as well as major disrespect for teachers and each other from say grades 3 and up); and the video teaching.

While I am the first to admit that having them in SPM is not what I wanted initially, my dh and I agree that having the boys in SPM (by the malecon) has been great for them. Instead of predominantly rich kids, they have more of a mix. There are lots of JD kids at LP and vice versa with regard to VDMIS. Having ridden the bus for VDMIS, even a short distance on those big yellow school buses (or similar types) is VERY scary and dangerous at least from the 20+ trips I made on them. The smaller vans that go to and from LP are more well equipped and the drivers have a much better handle on the situation.

As I said, everyone knows their own kids best (hopefully) and needs to find what works for their family. We wanted both our 4th and 7th grader in the same school. LP has won MAJOR awards in many areas, but what impressed us most is the caring and thoughtful teachers and administration. It is really like one big family. The teachers and students show great respect (not false respect either) for one another and themselves. Situations change, kids grow and schools evolve (maybe)...I'm happy to discuss any of this with anyone who is interested.

Pedro42

Jul 21, 2008
Hi, sorry to reopen the subject but I didn't see any actual student from there on this post.

My family and me moved to DR in 1997 and stayed there for about four years.
I attended VDMIS, and really, this school was kind of fun, except for some things.
First of all, every morning it was bible class for an hour or so, I have never believed in any kind of god so it was realy a pain in the a**, also they tried to convert me for four years that was kind of creapy.

I see that the books haven't change (I remember the thing about the fossils in the science book, the begining of the book talks about humans and dinosaurs living together and stuff like that).

This school bases all his educational system on two things, the first is this american shcool where the class videos have been shot (a really strange school where what you learn there should be banned => creationism and nothing else, you think darwin was right than you're an ass) the second is of course MONEY, if you think the care about your kids you're totally wrong, this school is really about money, your kid can do nothing all year long and fail all his exams because as long as they have your money your kids will pass ( if they don't pass in June then they have to attend "summer school", it's more like a summer camp only in school where you spend your day, if you have failed a subject, studying for nothing because there won't be any test and the rest of the time you go horseriding, driving quads, going to the beach...).

This school is only great for parents who don't really care if their kids learn something as long as they have fun with a bunch of jesus freaks (we had shows on christmas where we sang the same songs about jesus every year, also there are prayers in the morning)

If you don't believe in god this place is not for you.

Greg

LIZA

Jan 3, 2009
Thanks to all for the info. We have a house in JD and are considering moving down with our two children. We lived on the north coast for 7 years before children. Our kids 10 & 6 have been brought up in TO. My concern is for thier well being....education, making new friends, sports etc....The info. on Los Pinios is interesting...any more opinions...do you hve concerns with the safety in SPM? Any comments, ideas, advice would be greatly appreciated.

LIZA

Status
Not open for further replies.