Dominican Holidays & Traditions

miss j

Aug 1, 2006
Hi everyone,

I'd like to learn more about customary holidays in the Dominican Republic. (like Christmas, Easter, Hallowe'en, Valentine's day, etc). What kind of holidays are celebrated in the Dominican Republic, when are they, and what kind of things do people do on those days?

I did a google search and all I found was hundreds of "travel/holiday/vacation kind of info.:ermm:

Thanks!
j

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
New Year's Eve: fireworks, family and friends. Also major dances and get togethers with all the top name bands. Food is Roast pork and the typical foods.
January 6, Three Kings day. Children get presents to commemorate the visit of the three kings to the Christ child..
Next is La Virgen de la Altagracia, the Patron Saint of the DR. Masses is all the churches and a special mass in Higuey at the cathedral with the President and dignitaries.
Then Juan Pablo Duarte Day, the George Washington of the DR. Parade in Santo Domingo

Valentine's Day--Just typical stuff

Carnival days--the weekends leading up to Lent. Wild wild celebrations with masked "Lechones" and other famous characters...

Easter week is a week at the beach and kicks off the beach going season...lots of booze and parties at the beach

Corpus Christi is just a long weekend (also when the National golf championship is played)

August 16th is the opening of Congress..bla bla bla

September 24 is la Virgen de las Mercedes (Our Lady of Mercy), another major patron saint. People will walk up the hill in honor of Our Lady. Some walk from Santiago to la Vega during the night.

October 12, Dia de la Raza (Columbus Day in the US) Hooiday not too big

November 6 Constitution Day. Holiday and a long Weekend.

Christmas Eve..major family day..huge meals, really huge...presents are given out and lots of visiting friends and family. Christmas day is spent recovering from the night before.

HB :D:D:D:D:D

texasgal

Jul 17, 2006
Hillbilly,
I have wondered about the Dominican holidays and celebrations, too. My husband has mentioned a few of them, but for the most part some of this is new to me. See, I benefited from your help and didn't even know I was looking for it. These forums are great!
Sheri

miss j

Aug 1, 2006
Thanks Hillbilly & Dolores! I'd love to experience some of those holidays that are unique to the DR - especially Carnival :D

mj

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Carnival is worth the effort. Especially what goes on in La Vega, Santiago and Santo Domingo..I am sure if you "google" <carnival Santiago de los Caballeros>
or La VEga, I ma almost certain someting very colorful will turn up..

HB

rainbow123

Jul 28, 2006
Do people in the DR do anything special for the feast day of the Virgin of Guadeloupe, on the 12th December?