One lucky FAD colonel and captain

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
I just learned from a military officer friend of mine that the FAD colonel involved in the helicopter accident is my good friend. Something happened to the copter while it was taking off at the Lt Rosario Polanco School at the FAD base. He was with a captain who was the pilot and he too is also recovering.

Attempts to get him on his cell phone went understandably unanswered. I was told that he has it off and is resting. I want to wish him a speedy recovery as I heard that he is doing well in a hospital in Santo Domingo.

I just got off the phone with Big Lou at the New York Shark Bar and arranged to take my friend out as if he has a new lease on life. I am down on August 19th so anyone in town please stop in that Saturday night for a well wished toast!

The news clip:

4 August
Helicopter crashes immediately after takeoff
The helicopter flown by a lieutenant colonel and a captain crashed almost immediately after takeoff from the Air Force base near Puerto Plata, and landed on a nearby residential area. La Unión de Batey consists almost entirely of small wooden houses, and the residents are among the poorest along the north coast.
Three wooden houses were totally destroyed in the crash. The pilots were shook up but suffered only a few scratches. They were taken to hospital for medical examination, but doctors found nothing wrong. Luckily the residents were not at home when the three houses were hit. The commander of the Air Force base has agreed to pay for the damages.

Last edited: