Violence and Death hits home

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
PJT has been holding back notice on information he had knowledge of this previous week concerning cousins on his wife’s side in Higüey. Now he feels he can communicate the story.

It came to pass during the early morning hours of Wednesday, the 2nd, the house of my cousins was entered by thief intent on looking for money and making harm. A young guy 21 years old managed to enter the well secured house in Higüey, until then; around 3:30 in the morning through a 2nd floor window. He did this by squeezing himself between bars of the ironwork protecting the home. Investigators suggest he accomplished the feat by stripping down to his shorts and plastering himself in oil or fat of some sort so he could slither between the bars. It is also surmised he proceeded to the downstairs kitchen to acquire knives. He then entered the bedroom of the nine and eleven year old girls and threatened to kill them if they made alarm or not tell him where the money was. They responded truthfully, “we don’t know”. He tied them up and then went to the bedroom of the parents. The youngest child, the six year old boy, was also there in the room on a throw mattress reserved for him as he is at an age when he is afraid of the monsters and departs his bedroom to seek the refuge, safety, and love of his parents when he succumbs to his fears ….and this is one night when a real monster appeared.

The thief stood over the sleeping parents. The mother awoke with a knife at her chest and the assailant screaming for money and he was going to kill her. The boy scrambled out of the room in fear. The father awoke to the commotion. He reached for his handgun on the night table in the darkened room; he inadvertently knocked the pistol away from his grasp. The thief was spooked. A mortal fight ensued with both husband and wife in terror defending their lives and fearing for the lives of their children. They managed with great effort to turn the blade away from the mother’s chest. My cousins said it seemed the fight lasted for an eternity. They were struggling with a devil of superhuman strength (possibly influenced by drugs) bathed in oil. They had a hell of a time just trying to grasp and restrain the oil covered mass. Their hearts were pounding as adrenalin and survival instincts kicked in and eventually they were able to kill the bastar…..d. The thief died from the choke hold.

By the grace of God, both the parents suffered various slash wounds that required sutures. There were some bruises and contusions and the mother received a fractured nose. The son was found trembling in his sisters’ bedroom closet. The terrorized girls were upset but seemed OK.

They phoned a nearby cousin who summoned the police to the house. The assailant was well known to the police, he had been out of jail for three days.

The parents and children have been traumatized, their lives have been changed and now there is fear to leave the house. Fortunately, they are receiving wonderful support from the community, authorities, and family. They also are receiving phycological help. They are a strong family. They are very hard working, the most decent of people, a great example of the best of Dominican family values, and this event has made them stronger. PJT and wife have always been proud of them and now even prouder.

The resultant death is tragic. However, the real tragedy is both the parents are medical doctors, Dr. Pedro Quevedo and Dr. Altagracia Márquez. They have dedicated themselves to save lives. One can only imagine the private feelings they have.

Regards,
PJT

Last edited:

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
PJT, so sorry to hear that. I am shocked and at a loss for words.
Again, sorry and thoughts with you all.

miss j

Aug 1, 2006
It is distressing that poverty and drugs can drive people to do such desperate acts of violence. I am glad that your relatives all survived, and that their injuries were not life threatening. This is such a shocking event, I don't even know what else to say. I'm sorry to hear this happened.

My prayers are with you and your family.

mj

nohotnocold

Aug 7, 2006
Shocking indeed. Looking on the bright side, the thief is dead. That is of no consulation to the rest of the populace and I cannot imagine the pain the family is going through.
Well done and my best wishes to the family.

Freemo

May 26, 2003
Thank God

Thank God they were successful in defending their own lives and who knows the lives of their children also.

I am sure the police and authorities will support the family after they acted so bravely.

I only know that if the same thing happenned here in England, the so called bastian of fairness, the family would now have been arrested for manslaughter and would face an eternity of being dragged through the legal system where they would have to prove that they did not use excessive force in order to avoid a murder charge..

I hope they gain some comfort from the fact that they probably saved more that one life that night.

I as a father I am proud of their actions and would like to think that I would fight to my last breath to protect my family.

I sincerely hope their scars, mental & physical heal as quickly as possible.

Paul

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
PJT: Thank you for that emotional account of the incidents in Higuey.
The fact that the SOB is dead is a comfort.
What is so sad is the fact that the "desgraciado" had been freed just three days before. NOW you know why the police so often decide that there was an "exchange of gunshots" and off the suckers.
Peace to that family.

Oh yes, it is NOT poverty, but drugs and ignorance and bad, very bad choices...that cause crime....the easy way..

As are most people here, we are very happy for the outcome.

HB:D:D

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
My goodness PJT. This is horrific!!!

I just think of the children. The effect this must have on them. Specially that little 6 year old boy. I hope they all recover soon!!!

Drugdog

Mar 28, 2003
Paul,

Shelly and I are so sorry to hear this has happened. Our thoughts and prayers are being sent your way.

We will be in the area again in December. We had taken an house alarm system to Sonja in Cabarete in July. If your family needs any such items please let me know and they will be in our luggage.

Take care,

Kevin and Shelly

Tuan

Aug 28, 2004
PJT: The resultant death (of the murderous thief) is tragic
You've got to be kidding! Tragedy is what happened to those children and the mom and pop!
Miss J: It is distressing that poverty and drugs can drive people to do such desperate acts of violence.
You've got to be brainwashed by P.C.
Hillbilly: it is NOT poverty, but drugs and ignorance and bad, very bad choices
You've got it right, Hillbilly. And those choices were made from the free will of a rotten being that needs snuffing.
Jeeeez! We cull bad fruit, don't we? What's the tragedy?
Thanks, Doctor, for I won't see this piece of garbage in my bedroom one night.

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
MY condolences

My heartfelt condolences go out to the doctors and especially those little children.

God Bless!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Reading this makes me glad we have installed an alarm system in our condo.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
The good doctor has dispatched one dirtbag to hell. Well done.

These scumbags come from a subhuman culture of violence and revenge. His family may target the doctor for revenge.

Keep that pistol locked and loaded.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
The thief's MO (stripping down and greasing himself) suggests that he probably expected to find an empty house. Also, he entered the house unarmed, and when he noticed people in the house, he rushed down to the kitchen and picked up a kitchen knife, which is a defensive action. If there are children at a home, then there are adults. So why did the thief question the children first about the money, instead of going directly to the main bedroom? And once in the main bedroom, why didn't he expect to find the owner armed and waiting? The scenario is wrong, or it was some dumb thief. The good doctor and his family sure are lucky!

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
The theif was released 3 days ago. Flat broke which explains the lack of weapon example: a gun. He is a typical dominican, shows up for a job without tools example: a knife or a gun. He thought it will be an easy job as he will go to kitchen, pick up a knife and scare away the parents into getting some quick cash. he didn't expect a fight. He may have been drunk at the time that is why he might have been subdued and killed by an unarmed half asleep doctor.
This is a story of a thief commiting robbery without a solid plan.
AZB

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
Si. A fine person, a gift to his people.

Regards,
PJT

My husband and I are in shock. We know Pedro and his wife very well but the name Márquez didn't sound familiar. Indeed they are very good people, an asset to the community of Higüey.

There is no mention of Altagracia's mother. I know that she was living with them. Was she at the house or in Bejucal?

We have been robbed at gunpoint 3 years ago so we know what a traumatic experience this can be.

We hope all the family will be able to recover soon.

Last edited: