How and Where to get a new Residency Card

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
I have lost my blue Permanent Residency card. How, and where do I go for a replacement card? (and no, I didn't do this the first time, so I have no idea what was involved). Also, how much will it cost to replace this carnet?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
My wife had hers stolen and had to replace it. Don't remember the cost, but very little. Be sure to have your cedula with you when you go for the new residency card.

Be sure to replace it. When we went to the US in July and when we returned they wanted to see the Residency card, not the Cedula.

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
Thank you gentlemen.

(and PS, I did travel out and back with only my cedula - I just acted dominican and said, "It's not my fault, but I don't have my residency card... they didn't blink and accepted my cedula for entry)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
But you had a return ticket to the US.

For those of us who ar DR residents, and purchase our tickets here, to and fro, we need to show residents cards or AA won't let us board...

HB

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
The people in immigration wantd an up to date residency card if we didn't want to pay the tourist fees.

My wife now knows she made a mistake in keeping the outdated copy of her residency card because when she tried to pass through immigration upon return to the DR she gave him the old card by mistake. He refused to accept it and he also refused to accept her cedula. When I caught up with her and showed him my up to date residency card and he saw from our passports that we were husband and wife, he let her pass with me. Otherwise she would either have had to go through her luggage looking for the correct card or pay tourist entry fees.

Getting through one time without residency card doesn't mean one is not needed. It only means you were lucky.

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
Hillbilly, I live here in Santo Domingo full-time.

I did not have a return ticket. I had my cedula only. As I said, I just told them that it wasn't my fault, but I didn't have my residency card, I only had my cedula. The cedula, the Residency Card, and your Dominican driver's license all use the same number.

Maybe I am lucky, or maybe I am a better salesman. I used the same sales pitch on my way out, and then again when I returned. Both stations had two officers, and neither one blinked an eye, they just got me through the system so I could go home.

With AA, I just distracted the agent by complimenting her on her nails, and she just glowed and smiled and waved them in the air until she issued my boarding passes. She had no more questions.

Don't worry, I will go today and get my new Residency Card issued to avoid any future problems.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You be a good salesman! Lucky you are....She was flirting with more than just you. IF the DR Immigration authorities had denied you entrance, she would have lost her job for allowing youto fly without proving residence...

anyway, just go over there to the Feria, in back of Agua y Luz and get your replacement card...it just takes a little time and a few pesos...

Man, you are lucky....:p:p:p

HB :D:D

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
OK, so I finally went to Migracion to get my replacement residency card. Stupid me. They turned me away the first time, saying that I needed a Police Report showing that I had reported my carnet as Lost or Stolen. (No matter what you do or need in this country, you must first go to the Police. Sometimes I wonder if one must go there to report losing their virginity as well, and receive a stamped report to go on living your life.)

Sooo, yesterday I went to the Robbery section at the Palacio de Policia and made my report. Stamp Stamp Stamp, and I can go on my way back to Migracion this morning.

Got to Migracion at 8:20 am. 2 hours of waiting and RD$5500 lighter, I got the new carnet, good for the next 2 years. $1000 for VIP, $2000 and change for losing the old carnet (Which by the way, expired TODAY) , and the $2480 for the new carnet. What a scam. What a country.

Don't be stupid like me, and lose your carnet. Make a copy, but keep the original in a safe.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Good boy! Good, good boy Carlos, You did good there, boy.

Now SIT!

Congratulations on conquering the DR bureaucracy!~! and in just one day..

There, said the nurse, that wasn't so bad, was it?

HB :p:p:p