hair irons

pol73

May 21, 2006
i know this might seem like an incredibly vain and unnecessary request to many of you but it's something i desperately need help with- at least until my hair is long enough to do something with! Here in the UK i cannot live (ok, slight exaggeration, but only slight!) without my GHD straightening irons. I am told they won't work in the DR due to the voltage being wrong and have been advised to buy CHI irons from the US. The humidity out there is going to make me look like a clown! As i'm moving in 2 weeks time, i wondered whether it was worth me having then shipped over to the uk to bring to DR and indeed whether i would still have time- or whether i would be able to buy them there. Any help much appreciated by a frizzy-haired, stressed out English woman struggling to get anything done!!

cheers! Pol.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
OK, have a heart here ... We all look like clowns. Our hairdryers don't work too well, make-up melts off the face and somehow no-one really cares. Why don't you stop worrying about the straightening irons and simply go to a Dominican Hair Salon as much as you need it? They are wizzes at the straightening thing and will leave your hair looking soft as silk. Prices are amazingly low for a blow-out. These girls are masters at the art.

sosuarabbit

Aug 7, 2006
Hello,
Never mind Chris. I completly understand your situation. Women can't live without their GHD. You happen to be in luck. I am a distributor for GHD in the NY/NJ market. I also happen to travel to DR numerous times a year. I will be traveling to DR on August 16th-23rd and would be more than happy to help you out with your dilemma. Let me know. (btw the Chi is not in the same league with the GHD)
Cheers

Sharlene

Mar 4, 2006
You've obviously never owned GHD's!

They are magic! Heat up in seconds and you can curl as well as straighten your hair with them. Cost about ?100 in England, but worth every penny! I work and have children and just haven't got time to go running off to a salon every 5mins.

Having said that, I just couldn't be bothered last time I was in DR. Even if the irons had worked properly (which they didn't), the humidity made my long thick hair so damp anyway that it wouldve been a pointless exercise . I just kind of let my hair do it's own wild thing! Probably is worth going to the salons for special occasions.

While we're on the vanity thing... Last time I was in Sosua, there was a lady named Izzey from Ecuador whose make up was absolutely immaculate and didn't melt down her face. Turned out she sold the make up (think she had a shop in the main stretch) which she said was produced especially for that type of climate. I've heard through the grapevine that she's not there anymore, but just wondered if anybody had taken over her business or knew which brand of make up she sold as she really did manage to look immaculate 24/7 and wasn't melting all over the place like me! Yes it's vain, but what the hell......we all have our vices......

pol73

May 21, 2006
Hello,
Never mind Chris. I completly understand your situation. Women can't live without their GHD. You happen to be in luck. I am a distributor for GHD in the NY/NJ market. I also happen to travel to DR numerous times a year. I will be traveling to DR on August 16th-23rd and would be more than happy to help you out with your dilemma. Let me know. (btw the Chi is not in the same league with the GHD)
Cheers

Oooh thank you! the trouble is, i'm not leaving the UK until the 22nd August!
and won't be free then to make my own arrangements- the company I'll be working for will be flying me in! Very kind though- I will be sure to keep in touch and see what i can arrange!

pol73

May 21, 2006
OK, have a heart here ... We all look like clowns. Our hairdryers don't work too well, make-up melts off the face and somehow no-one really cares. Why don't you stop worrying about the straightening irons and simply go to a Dominican Hair Salon as much as you need it? They are wizzes at the straightening thing and will leave your hair looking soft as silk. Prices are amazingly low for a blow-out. These girls are masters at the art.

ha! :) your reply made me smile- the trouble is my hair is still too short to even tie back- it's short and thin, but wavy and takes me no time at all to straighten it with my GHDs! I also find that if it's been straightened, even when it does get wet, it's not so completely uncontrollable as it is, if I haven't attacked it with the hot irons! I can also leave it to dry naturally if I have the irons rather than sitting under a hot hair dryer (nasty!)

As for the make up thing, there I will hold up my hands in surrender- i know from the heatwave we've been having here that make up will just have to go (I only wear it in the evenings anyway!) or else my eye make up will be resting somewhere on my cheekbones... not a good look! ;-)

Cheers! Pol.

Sharlene

Mar 4, 2006
I'll have some of those NY GHD's....

Hello,
Cheers

Ok I surrender! I'm moving to Sosua at end of Aug and if you let me know the next time you're in DR, I'll buy the NY GHD's from you as my UK ones won't work in DR, so I'll sell them at home before I come.

Many Thanks

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
Oh Please

I wish I had your problem!!! If you're interested in a trade, your frizzy-hair for my bald head, let me know. :ermm: :ermm: :ermm:

nikke

Sep 19, 2005
Still plan on developing a curly style that you can live with...you never know when the luz will be out or if you decide to hit the road for the day, where are you going to find the time/place to retouch!

for makeup, try a tinted moisturizer or bronzer powder. Good luck!

pol73

May 21, 2006
Thanks! i already do the tinted moisturiser thing- can't be bothered with much else- and am already re-growing my hair so that I can let it curl again-I had it cut off before i knew i was moving there so it's just in the meantime! I know it seems unimportant to most people but i was following the advice I received and i didn't want to waste ?100 on something that wouldn't work!

Thanks for your answers, well most of them! ;-)

P x

nickijay

Jul 14, 2006
I give up gracefully when im there and have curly hair! and Its just bronzing pearls and mascara in the evenings for me I couldnt be bothered with much else its too hot!

nic

tarrantino

Jan 12, 2006
Hi Pol73,
We have tried a couple of different flat irons, we didn't have a problem with the voltage, but with the quality of the flatiron. We were going to get either a chi or a Ismooth, ionic conditioning straight iron. We went with the Ismooth, because it is better for your hair, it causes less damage and my daughter should know, because she uses it everyday. When she flatironed her hair, it stayed straight, even in the heat there.

What about this makeup? I only use mascara and moisturizer, it would be nice to use some foundation too. If anyone knows anything about the make up please let me know.

sosuarabbit

Aug 7, 2006
Oooh thank you! the trouble is, i'm not leaving the UK until the 22nd August!
and won't be free then to make my own arrangements- the company I'll be working for will be flying me in! Very kind though- I will be sure to keep in touch and see what i can arrange!

No worries, I am bringing some down anyways for other requests I will leave a few behind, email me and I will put you in communication with a colleague.
Thanks
JZ

SPMGIRL

Jul 13, 2006
A lot of the upper class women inthe DR are now opting for permanent makeup for this very same reason. There is a guy in the capital who travels to Sosua monthly to do eyebrows and eyeliner. Looks very natural and very professional.

tarrantino

Jan 12, 2006
A lot of the upper class women inthe DR are now opting for permanent makeup for this very same reason. There is a guy in the capital who travels to Sosua monthly to do eyebrows and eyeliner. Looks very natural and very professional.

When this guy comes to Sosua, where is he located. I would like to get my eyebrows done, then I wouldn't have to worry about pencilling them in all the time