Shorts

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Simple question. Why don't Dominican men wear shorts. If its hot in the states men wear shorts. In the tropical Dominican Republic its almost the exception.

ps I don't think its the mosquitoe's:cheeky:

Corporal cod

Jan 12, 2005
That is a good question, and i reckon it is something to do with respect and how reserved the people are, they don't feel that shorts are appropiate attire unless on the beach. Also a loose pair of trousers it often cool that shorts as you skin isn't out to the sun.

carl ericson70

Nov 15, 2003
Well..... outside of the beach areas, my SO(dominicana) seems to believe that shorts are associated with gays(no offense) and no self-respecting straight dominican man would stoop so low. Hence, want to attract gay men in DR? wear shorts........:squareeye .

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I agree with the respectability thing, but I believe they don't feel the heat quite as much as gringos do, and are less motivated to wear them.

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
shorts

I agree with the respectability thing, but I believe they don't feel the heat quite as much as gringos do, and are less motivated to wear them.
I live in SD and see Dominican men in shorts all the time...both families next to me are Lawyers,and they,the men, are always in shorts,nice dress shorts when not in suits...lots of long basketball shorts on younger men...
bob

nikke

Sep 19, 2005
Lots of Caribbeans, especially the older generations, men and women do not wear shorts outside of the beach...they must think it's swimming attire, like walking around in a bikini. On that note, many will wear shirts even in the water. They don't feel the heat like foreigners...they're wearing jackets when it's 23C out!

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I asked this same question

as a tourist to a Dominican friend (as I travel mostly to the Capital about every 6 weeks) His answer was yes they do wear shorts but I dont see it as I am only seeing men during the work week. But at home and after hours in their houses they do in fact wear shorts.

JOHN

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
Dominicans in general are reserved when it comes to dress. It is a throwback to Victorian times. It is considered disrespectful to wear tight/shorts when down town and espesially in Government Offices. On one very hot day I was refused service at a Government Office because I was wearing shorts...Canadian Bob.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
If you see a dominican in shorts, you will notice that the same person also speaks perfect english. Yes, you have guessed it, its a dom-york.
AZB

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
Not only in the DR, but also in other warm countries in Southern Europe, people do not generally wear shorts, and wearing shorts to work, or when going out isn't really acceptable elsewhere, is it?
I do think that al the statements that when you wear shorts in the DR you look like gringo, and Dominicans never ever wear shorts apart from when they are at the beach are a bit over the top. As far as I noticed Dominicans under 30 do not have a problem wearing shorts in their spare time, around the house, etc. And no, I do not mean Dom-Yorks.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
If you see a dominican in shorts, you will notice that the same person also speaks perfect english. Yes, you have guessed it, its a dom-york.
AZB

A dom-york speaking perfect english. You are being very generous today.lol:cheeky:

Mikethe1&only

Jul 14, 2006
AZB

AZB, what do you call yourself?

Why are you so offensive against New Yorker's?

Where are you from?

There are dumb people all over the world. Learn how to spell the word dumb.

I do not know you and hope I never get in contact with you because I will show you how dumb New Yorkers can be!!!!:eek:gre:

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
AZB

AZB, what do you call yourself?

Why are you so offensive against New Yorker's?

Where are you from?

There are dumb people all over the world. Learn how to spell the word dumb.

I do not know you and hope I never get in contact with you because I will show you how dumb New Yorkers can be!!!!:eek:gre:

Hey buddy I know were you are coming from and yes AZM does have a problem with dominicans from New York(maybe from other states too). A small correction is when AZB says "dom-york" he means a dominican from New York not the word "dumb". That said AZB can be rough around the edges and that's his style.

Mikethe1&only

Jul 14, 2006
Hey, thanks for the clarification.

This is even worse. Why would he be offensive of his own race whether born in New York or in DR?

What is the difference? I have come across the same thing in PR. Once I hear the same comment, I definitely will the put the person in their place.

I have noticed that, when New Yorkers go to say PR or DR, the natives from the homeland are easy to make remarks but if that person comes from PR or DR to the states, we greet them with open arms.

Who are the smart ones then?

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
Where are you from?

AZB is a Pakistani chiropractor living in Santiago. If I am not mistaken he either grew up in NY or Atlanta. He has a problem with Dominicans that are from NY who visit the DR (specially Santiago) and steal all his chicas LOL

All jokes aside - everyone is entitled to their own opinion. AZB doesn't like flashy Dominicans (as he has called them in the past). This topic has been beaten to death on this board. Do a search and you will find the posts.

Back on topic - I am Dominican, grew up and live in NYC. I wear shorts when I'm in the DR. However, I only wear shorts during the day when it's so damn hot. When the sun starts dying down is when I take my third shower of the day and dress into jeans.

None of my family members/friends in the DR wear shorts. Only time they wear them is to be in the house or to go to the beach. Note - They pack shorts - they don't wear them to the beach.

I guess it has to do with what others have said here. It's just not standard.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
AZB is a Pakistani chiropractor living in Santiago. If I am not mistaken he either grew up in NY or Atlanta. He has a problem with Dominicans that are from NY who visit the DR (specially Santiago) and steal all his chicas LOL

All jokes aside - everyone is entitled to their own opinion. AZB doesn't like flashy Dominicans (as he has called them in the past). This topic has been beaten to death on this board. Do a search and you will find the posts.

Back on topic - I am Dominican, grew up and live in NYC. I wear shorts when I'm in the DR. However, I only wear shorts during the day when it's so damn hot. When the sun starts dying down is when I take my third shower of the day and dress into jeans.

None of my family members/friends in the DR wear shorts. Only time they wear them is to be in the house or to go to the beach. Note - They pack shorts - they don't wear them to the beach.

I guess it has to do with what others have said here. It's just not standard.

I agree , but I think that as more and more Dominicans and foreigners travel back and forth to the DR, dress fashions evolve and more men will accept the use of shorts. As others have indicated some Dominican men on the island wear them. Outside their homes is another story.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Lots of true stuff here:
Gays and shorts
Dress code
Beach attire
Some do wear shorts--but around the house or out walking
Men in gangsta attire are not respected (What AZB was alluding to for the most part)

That said, in most small towns you will never see a man is shorts at any time--except when he is working on the farm.

It is one of those things that is not done..

At the university, the kids do not wear shorts, except for some Don-Yorks with doo rags and braided hair. These student seldom last a full school year since they are forced to read and write in Spanish and seldom are able to...others are wanna-be gangstas who "think" they are the coolest, but soon learn that this is not appropriate attire. Even the Haitian students dress well and avoid ostentatious apparel......

HB:D:D