Taxi ride POP airport to Playa Dorada

patricia

Jan 13, 2002
Hello, I am sure there is a post on this already but I can't seem to find it. Can someon tell me how much I should be paying for a cab ride from the airport to the hotel in the playa dorada area

Also, what is the current exchange rate for US and Cdn dollars as of Aug. 9

Appreciate all who respond.

Have a great day

Last edited:

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
Patricia, You should be able to take the free Hotel bus to Playa Dorada if you are staying there. The appropriate buses line up at the airport exit. Have a great vacation! Canadian Bob

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Bob, those buses are provided by the Tour Operators not the hotels. Free is only available if you booked thru those tour operators.......

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
Always ask the taxi how much to the destination BEFORE you get into the car - this avoids many problems of potential overcharging.

This is VERY IMPORTANT advise. Remember it not just at the airport. Also if you want to negotiate some cheaper fares just go to the departures area and catch a carro publico and ask him to take you when hes dropping someone off. Its a short distance so it could save you a few dollars. The distance from POP to Playa Dorado is only about 15 minutes. I wouldnt expect to pay more than $25

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
US$25 is the posted price to Playa Dorada from the airport. Do not feel you must tip the cab driver. There is enough money in the posted price to cover a tip, in my opinion.

I live here and I never tip an airport taxi driver. That is only something that is done by foreign visitors.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Read the Price Board

79 destinations are posted on two large Taxi Price Boards outside customs.
Tips are discretionary. Be safe, take a taxi only from drivers with light yellow shirts, the 'uniforms' of Sosua Cabarete taxi union. Anyone else is a pirate and not worth your while....or worse. Pirates abound but don't use 'em no matter what price they tell you. It only takes $$ from the legit guys and if they keep getting ripped off by the pirates, fares will only go up eventually to cover their lost income.