Strike today?

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Anyone have information concerning a strike in Puerto Plata? I was told by one source it is in protest of the road construction mess and will include drivers of buses, trucks, carros pulicos etc etc.

For those who don't know, the main road going around Puerto Plata has been dug up and a mess for at least 3 months now. I understand everyone's frustration with this mess.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Wrong assumption, just called a friend and asked for information. According to him, taxis are working.

The strike was to start at 6 this morning and includes truck drivers, puclic transportation etc. They are upset over the duration and mess of the construction which is upsetting routes, fares and is devestating to the businesses that line this main street.

andrea9k

Apr 17, 2004
In Central de Taxi they say they are "gente de trabajo" (work people) no strikes for them. Otherwise I would need a bike ;)

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Wrong assumption, just called a friend and asked for information. According to him, taxis are working.

The strike was to start at 6 this morning and includes truck drivers, puclic transportation etc. They are upset over the duration and mess of the construction which is upsetting routes, fares and is devestating to the businesses that line this main street.
So the strike is cancelled and the Puclicos are running?
I mean, Pulicos.
Need more coffee, planner?

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Yes please Rocky, I need coffeee.................

Taxis are not included but apparently the strike is still on. I cannot confirm as I've not gone out yet.

Anyone out there with first hand info???

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
You are correct Planner. Today was Dia de Huelga.
A few independent small busses was working, otherwise no publicos etc.
Taxis are working though.
Tomorrow all will work again as usual!

skyblue

Mar 20, 2006
just talked to a friend in POP and taxis are on strike too and not using their signs for fear of being hit by rocks. the ones who are working are doing so undercover to avoid being pelted.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Well not exacly, yesterday there was plenty of taxis around Parque Central, as well as at the parada. Atlantico Taxi that operates across from my street also worked as normal. Most rutas worked as well as motoconchos. Very few, almost no, busses and no publicos at all.

Today everything was normal again, thanks for that!