Tourist Card

yellowdaisy

Aug 9, 2006
Hi,

Can anyone help me? I'm due to fly to DR for a weeks holiday on the 23rd of August (not long now, I can't wait!). When I booked my holiday my tour operator said that I wouldn't need a visa etc which was great.
However today I was checking the UK foreign office travellers advice (I know, I'm one of those paranoid travellers!) and it said that I would need a tourist card? This was news to me, as i said mytour operator hadn't mentioned it?
Do I need to get one pre trip and if so where from as I don't have alot of time?

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Buy it for $10USD in the airport terminal when you land in DR.
Have a nice trip!

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
What Tamborista means is that it's not a document you need before leaving your country. It's a form that you can fill out when you get here to go through customs and hand back when you leave the country so they can see how long you were here. Have a nice vacation!

yellowdaisy

Aug 9, 2006
Thank you so much, I always worry about getting somewhere and not having all the right stuff!
That's definately put my mind at rest!

Are there any other tips you can give me to improve my stay?

zak023

Done and dusted!
Feb 8, 2006
What Tamborista means is that it's not a document you need before leaving your country. It's a form that you can fill out when you get here to go through customs and hand back when you leave the country so they can see how long you were here. Have a nice vacation!

As of this year it doesnt work that way anymore..You get the tourist card that looks like a little buisness card..It has a barcode on back..Before you leave customs you hand the card to the person collecting them at the door before you go to luggage claim..Then somebody takes each and every card which is married to your Passport or whaterev ID you are using and enters the info into the main computer this way you never have to worry about losing it as many people were and ended up paying the $10.00 twice..So when you leave the computer has your info as to how long you were there when the swipe your passport...

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
In the UK it is also available from DR consulates:

- ₤8 Money Order
- Photo copy of the info page(s) of your passport
- SASE

Or as you have been advised; on arrival, $10US cash at your airport of arrival.

Gregg

jrzguy2

Sep 1, 2004
i usualy get my tourist card at the airport i am departing from. That way i dont have to stand in lines when i arrive. Just ask for it when you are checking in.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
i usualy get my tourist card at the airport i am departing from. That way i dont have to stand in lines when i arrive. Just ask for it when you are checking in.

I never knew they sold them at Gatwick.

jrzguy2

Sep 1, 2004
not sure about gatwick...but they sell them when i fly out of Newark. It sure is nice to cuz the time down waiting at the airport.

(but then again...you still have to wait for ever for your luggage pickup)

nickijay

Jul 14, 2006
Hi,

Can anyone help me? I'm due to fly to DR for a weeks holiday on the 23rd of August (not long now, I can't wait!). When I booked my holiday my tour operator said that I wouldn't need a visa etc which was great.
However today I was checking the UK foreign office travellers advice (I know, I'm one of those paranoid travellers!) and it said that I would need a tourist card? This was news to me, as i said mytour operator hadn't mentioned it?
Do I need to get one pre trip and if so where from as I don't have alot of time?

Hi and welcome to DR1, depends on who you're flying with, Thompson give you the form to fill in on the plane, then you hand your form in with you're $10 on arrival. There will be a bit of a queue but it doesnt take long.
If you need to know anything else just ask, you've come to the right place. Remember to save $20 us for your departure tax too!

nic

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
As of this year it doesnt work that way anymore..You get the tourist card that looks like a little buisness card..It has a barcode on back..Before you leave customs you hand the card to the person collecting them at the door before you go to luggage claim..Then somebody takes each and every card which is married to your Passport or whaterev ID you are using and enters the info into the main computer this way you never have to worry about losing it as many people were and ended up paying the $10.00 twice..So when you leave the computer has your info as to how long you were there when the swipe your passport...

Thanks for the info, had no idea they'd changed it. Helps to have your residency card ;)

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
weird I have never paid the $20 departure tax at STI/POP/SDQ. Only the $10 entry for the tourist card.

nickijay

Jul 14, 2006
weird I have never paid the $20 departure tax at STI/POP/SDQ. Only the $10 entry for the tourist card.

They reminded us as we were getting off the thompson fight in POP to remember to save $20 for the return journey.

KeithUK

Feb 8, 2006
Tourist Cards

This information has been posted previously but as Nickijay & Ana C have already said you can pay $10 for a Tourist Card when you arrive at the airport.You will also need to fill in a blue form which are given out on most charter flights but are also available in pads at the airport. I got a pad for future use on my last visit. Tourist Cards are available from the DR Embassy in London for ?8 and a $20 Departure Tax is payable on most UK charter flights. I usually travel Martinair via Amsterdam, a long way around but a lot cheaper and departure tax included.
Hope you enjoy your trip.
Regards
Keith

nickijay

Jul 14, 2006
This information has been posted previously but as Nickijay & Ana C have already said you can pay $10 for a Tourist Card when you arrive at the airport.You will also need to fill in a blue form which are given out on most charter flights but are also available in pads at the airport. I got a pad for future use on my last visit. Tourist Cards are available from the DR Embassy in London for ?8 and a $20 Departure Tax is payable on most UK charter flights. I usually travel Martinair via Amsterdam, a long way around but a lot cheaper and departure tax included.
Hope you enjoy your trip.
Regards
Keith

Hi Keith,
I know its going off thread but if they are much cheaper do you have a website for them please?

nic

KeithUK

Feb 8, 2006
Hi Keith,
I know its going off thread but if they are much cheaper do you have a website for them please?

nic

Hi Nic,
Any trips longer than 3 weeks I simply do a search for flights on majortravel & deckchair.com sites. I always find that the Martinair flights are the cheapest. Usually its the same price if you visit for 4 weeks or 4 months, around ?450 - ?550 other companies charge ?800 - ?1500 for the same flights. For short visits up to 3 weeks I use A1travel my last 3 week trip with them was a Thompsons flight in June this year costing ?280.
Regards
Keith