Cooling with ground source water

shadInToronto

On Vacation....
Nov 16, 2003
Is it possible in the DR?

In Toronto, water from Lake Ontario is used to cool some buildings in the financial district (not sure of the exact number) via an exchanger that transfer the lower temperature of in-take water to a closed loop system.

Depending on the temperature of ground source water in the DR, this could be a relatively economical method of cooling homes and perhaps larger buildings. Of course, there is start up cost of infrastructure set up (drilling well, installing pipes and pumps, etc.), but significantly lower than maintaining an electric AC unit.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Of course it is possible. Just like you say someone willing to put in the infrastructure. I know an architect who is contemplating using the pool of a house to cool off the air prior to sending it thorugh the house. I saw some plans where this system of natural air conditioning would be put in.

If you have a site for the Toronto natural air conditioning, post the links.

shadInToronto

On Vacation....
Nov 16, 2003
Toronto's lake water system, but ....

Of course it is possible. Just like you say someone willing to put in the infrastructure. I know an architect who is contemplating using the pool of a house to cool off the air prior to sending it thorugh the house. I saw some plans where this system of natural air conditioning would be put in.

If you have a site for the Toronto natural air conditioning, post the links.

Links for Toronto's system
http://www.toronto.ca/environment/initiatives/cooling.htm

http://www.enwave.com/enwave/dlwc/

There are other systems that utilize ground source water for smaller projects. I worked with one such company, but I'm currently in litigation with the owner so I can't disclose the name.

BTW, what I meant by, "Is it possible in the DR?" is that the temperature of ground source water in the DR must be lower than surface temperature so that the 'coolness' can be 'extracted' and transferred to a cooling delivery unit - if you know the temperature difference, please post.

irie1029

May 27, 2006
I use my pool

I have been using my 36000 gal pool in the chicago area to heat and cool my home using geo. I maintain pool at about 82 - 85 in summer. close pool in November at 45. Open again in april.

There are many ways to link ground water as well as dirt to system with much success. Caution on zebra mussel in many lake systems. You need to add a water to water exchange in that case. I am sure there are tons of ways to utilize the ground creatively in DR.

If you wish pm me and I can discuss further detail.

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
This is my idea for the DR. Pump ground water and pass it through a car, truck or bus radiator with a fixed fan blowing through it, and have the water return back to the well or use it for something else. Has anyone tried this before?

I know the minerals will damage the radiator, but at least is a start.

irie1029

May 27, 2006
The water will need to be cool enough to dehumidify while grabbing heat from the air. A good check is take some of the source water and let it sit in a glass... does it cause the glass to quickly sweat on its own without ice? If your source water is less than 45F it should work fine. The warmer the water the bigger the radiator required.

There are some of those systems in the Midwest with 55F source and do not do a great job for comfort even here. Usually there is an added step of chilling of the water to get to about 45 degrees F.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Can a cistern or stream be used for Geothermal cooling?

Looking for more information. Any info would be appreciated. PM me or e mail.... luperon@gmail.com
The building site is in the DR.

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
This is basically what Texas coolers do. These are units used in large buildings or factories.
What a Texas cooler does is use a water source that is cooler than the ambient temperature and use it to cool air. Normal results are -5 to 10 degrees F over ambient temps. If it is 95 degrees in the building it will go down to 85 or so....

They are cost effective over air conditoning.

HB

C

Chip00

Water cooling systems have been used in the southeast for quite a many years now and the ground water temp. averages around 60-62 degrees. It is used to heat as well as cool the house.