Cafe questions?

mark4604

Aug 10, 2006
I have some questions about possibly starting a small sidewalk caf? in Santiago. First, how hard is to obtain liquor license in the Dominican Republic? Also, my plan includes possibly constructing a wood fire oven, would if be difficult to employ someone with the proper skills to construct it? Is there any place in Rep Dom that sells used restaurant equipment? I realize these questions maybe difficult, but I would really love some help. I am not some yuppie rich boy with all kinds of money to spend. I am a college student with a dream. I have lived in many Latin countries and I do visit Rep Dom often, sense my girlfriend is Dominican. I hope to build relationships with local farmers to buy my vegetables and meats. I do study a business related career but it not specifically restaurant management. If I could buy my produce and meats from farmers and make most of my food, could I keep my overhead down in the Dominican Republic? Also does anyone know the average price of a commercial space per month, not very large just enough for a kitchen?

cuas

May 29, 2006
It is not difficult to employ someone with proper skills to construct a brick oven. Just ask at the bakeries, they probably have one and can tell you who built it.
Downside, if you are renting, are you going to built it in somebody's property?
I come from a family of bakers [panaderos] in SD. I recall my father having a hard time getting the wood to burn. It is prohibited to use wood. I am talking about many years ago. Maybe the law changed. At one point my father was buying compressed peanut shell from La Manicera for the oven because if the inspector find wood in your place you are fined.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
As evidenced by your question concerning the difficulty in obtaining a liquor license, you need to do plenty of on-site research before committing to anything. I don't know where you plan on locating, but there aren't too many locations for a sidewalk cafe in the cities where the food won't taste like vehicle emissions. Ever worked in a restaurant or bar in the DR? Plenty of new ones open, but most quickly close or are for sale.

Everett

Jun 8, 2006
Retain either a respectable business consultant or hire a DR based restaurant owner to do some feasability and due diligence work for you.
Is that true about not using wood for cooking fuel in the DR?
Come to think of it I can't think of any wood fired ovens.

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Hornear Pan

... I can't think of any wood fired ovens.
You mean, you haven't see my oven yet?

25g6rt0.jpg

m'frog :laugh:

Everett

Jun 8, 2006
That is a gorgeous oven. It looks more appropriate for bread baking.
Did you use fire brick?
How are you using it?
Have you tried coffee wood?

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Rye Bread

That is a gorgeous oven. It looks more appropriate for bread baking.
You guessed it. ;)

25g737q.jpg

Did you use fire brick?
No, although you can get them here, too expensive.
You do want to use fireclay, however. Normal cement will not do!
How are you using it?
Regularly... :laugh:

Have you tried coffee wood?
Why? We have lots of dead wood on the finca which we use.
The oven does not need much firewood to heat up, amazing. We shove in the bread at about 280 ºC.

Well, enough secrets shared... ;)

m'frog