Duty Free Shops-Carry on Liquids

drtampa

Bronze
Oct 1, 2004
New Ulm, TX
Has the new security ruling shut down the duty free shops at DR airports? Most of what they sell is liquid that can no longer be carried onto an aircraft.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Has the new security ruling shut down the duty free shops at DR airports? Most of what they sell is liquid that can no longer be carried onto an aircraft.
Maybe they will make arrangements for those items to be checked, as the ban is on carry on.
Surely they will not allow those shops to go out of business.
There has to be a way for them to get all purchases on as baggage.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004

I doubt it, since the duty free shops are located after the security check-points, by the boarding gates.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Very good question.
It's a brand new law, so nothing updated on TSA website yet.

Last edited:

nickijay

Jul 14, 2006
Im guessing that this is in light of the arrests that were made in the UK this morning in connection with a plot to blow up planes travelling from the UK to the US?

drtampa

Bronze
Oct 1, 2004
New Ulm, TX
Dominican Today says, "No liquids of gels in hand luggage at SDQ." Since you are already past security you could not buy a liquid and check it. That means no liquor sales for duty free. Has anyone traveled internationally yet?

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I just heard on the Canadian news that duty free is temporarily shut down at Pearson.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Once past security, you can purchase whatever is available in duty free and take on board, there are no further security checks.

I doubt very much if your booze is banned!

See the link below.

http://www.tsa.gov/press/where_we_stand/security_measures.shtm

(excerpt)

Where We Stand

Frequently Asked Questions
New Security Measures

Will you be hand searching bags?

There will be more hand searches of bags at the checkpoint and a bag check at the gate immediately prior to boarding the aircraft.

CommTHOR

Nov 7, 2005
Where can I buy stock in a company that sells suntan lotion in the Dominican Republic? With the 5000%(+) markup they have for tourists, I could be a millionaire in days.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
No duty free shop liquor is allowed. That is according to the AA web site. I will let you know for sure as we are flying to DR Monday, and had planned on some booze shopping.:ermm:

Bob K

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
Duty free goods are purchased and delivered right to the gate generally in sealed bags. I would suspect if the items are left in the sealed bag with the receipt stapled to them they would be allowed.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Perhaps someone will report an actual experience buying Duty Free booze and the outcome, instead of speculation.

:bunny:

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Heard on radio this a.m. that at YHZ Duty Free are open BUT are not selling ANY LIQUIDS.

Not saying it will remain like this but this is how it is now - not speculation.

Gregg

El Diego

Apr 24, 2006
Dominican Today says, "No liquids of gels in hand luggage at SDQ." Since you are already past security you could not buy a liquid and check it. That means no liquor sales for duty free. Has anyone traveled internationally yet?

i just returned from santiago on wednesday,,, 1 day prior to this new event/law. But this did not matter to me since i did not have liquor/beer or water with me.

zak023

Done and dusted!
Feb 8, 2006
Alcohol

Alcohol is FLAMMABLE anything 80 proof and up will BURN...Do you think that just because it is sold after you check your luggage it is OK to carry on??? Throw you money in the toilet before you buy..That is if they are still selling it..And at SDQ that is a big chunk of change along with Cigars..You'll get the cigars through but you will put the RUM And perfume in a trash bin which by the way will burn also..Then they will RE-Sell it 20 minutes after your flight departs..and so on .............Once the US says it is not permissable on any US flights or operated buy a US carrier..IT is written in stone until further notice...

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Report on CNN today that some of the largest duty free outfits have asked for a meeting to see if an acceptable workaround can be found.

Also a report that airport restaurants expect an increase in business. Although travelers can't take what they buy on the plane, many airlines are now advising paxs to get to the airport 3 hours in advance. Long time in airport means more hungry people, thus boosting restaurant revenues.

Farmer

Antiguo
Dec 2, 2003
NY Times article...

today says that some companies that run multiple duty free shops have begun to close a few of them down. In others, the salespeople are taking forwarding information and sending the items for nothing. Sounds like they're trying to be creative.