Canadian Tourist Robbed

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Just so people are aware. Munoz is a small village located up in the hills across from Playa Dorada. In the province of Puerto Plata, not the city of Puerto Plata. It is divided into two very poor sections. One inhabited by very poor Dominicans and the other by even poorer Haitians. This is not the place for any tourist to go or live (This is where Diane Pelleran's apartments are located). What was a Canadian tourist doing there?

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Poor Areas

... It is divided into two very poor sections. One inhabited by very poor Dominicans and the other by even poorer Haitians.

The article reports two seperate incidents and says that they were committed by gangs of Dominicans and Haitians.
From this it's not clear which gang assaulted the Canadian.

m'frog

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Being blunt

No disrespect to anyone in particular. However, people other then the unfortunate Dominicans and Haitians that do live there are simply there because they made a bad choice to live there. Some people come down here and believe they can live on a couple of hundred dollars a month to live on. People rush into making life decisions and sometimes they place not just themself in danger but their family as well. Yeah, let's just pack up our suitcases, I'll get a job making 3.000 RD a month and we will live happily ever after???? They are forced to realize their blunder and move into a very poor and subsequentely dangerous area such as Munoz instead of moving back to wherever they came from.

You then have the "sex tourists" that get loaded to the gills and get picked up by a puta or puto and brought back to these areas. Alas, let's not forget the tourist found dead in a Haitian barrio. Not much to offer them other then they should either quit getting so drunk they don't know what they are doing or where they are going or get someone to keep an eye on them to pevent them from making such dangerous decisions.

Then you have those other curious folks that wander off into areas they know nothing about, bambies in the woods if you will. These folks don't mean any harm and are simply being naive. They also become victims unfortunately. I mean it isn't as if the thieves will "interview" you before they rob you and determine whether you are a good egg or a rotten one.

It is not a race thing really, it is a class thing. No matter how "poor" you may think you are you will never be as poor as the folks that live up there and will surely become a victim sooner or later.

A suggestion only, GET OUT!

Last edited:

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
It looks more like a case of someone walking around with too many pesos in their pocket and waving them around.He had like 24K pesos it said. Why would you need that much in Munoz? and also if you did have that much on you dont show anyone. Next time your out in Munoz dont be showing off you have a lot of pesos.

Or someone will help you spend them!

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
They sure will

It looks more like a case of someone walking around with too many pesos in their pocket and waving them around.He had like 24K pesos it said. Why would you need that much in Munoz? and also if you did have that much on you dont show anyone. Next time your out in Munoz dont be showing off you have a lot of pesos.

They'll spend your money with you or without you. Anyone and I mean anyone that goes into an area like this with loads of money is nothing but a daggone fool! Who the heck are they trying to impress? Damn fool is what they were.

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
They'll spend your money with you or without you. Anyone and I mean anyone that goes into an area like this with loads of money is nothing but a daggone fool! Who the heck are they trying to impress? Damn fool is what they were.

thats what I meant by help you spend your money == take it from you.lol.

G

gary short

Diane Pellerin's apartments in Munoz isn't this where a tourist was raped and robbed by staff a while back?????

Nov 5, 2004

Ditto!!

Excellent point!!

The article made me wonder the same thing..what was a tourist doing going around in Munoz with that much cash anyways??????

There are lots of areas in Canada I wouldn't be wandering around by myself in with that much cash in my pockets...:tired:

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Just so people are aware. Munoz is a small village located up in the hills across from Playa Dorada. In the province of Puerto Plata, not the city of Puerto Plata. It is divided into two very poor sections. One inhabited by very poor Dominicans and the other by even poorer Haitians. This is not the place for any tourist to go or live (This is where Diane Pelleran's apartments are located). What was a Canadian tourist doing there?
(posted by HOWMAR above)

I agree, no one should carry that much cash, anywhere. But to carry it in the DR in a dangerous area, you're asking for trouble. Compounding this "easy target" situation are advertisements like these, found all over the web:

http://www.travelpunk.com/stories/carina.htm

No wonder tourists think Muñoz is a safe haven to visit.

Last edited:

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Ditto!!

Excellent point!!

The article made me wonder the same thing..what was a tourist doing going around in Munoz with that much cash anyways??????

There are lots of areas in Canada I wouldn't be wandering around by myself in with that much cash in my pockets...:tired:

The amount of cash is really not the issue. Even if the tourist only has a few hundred pesos on him, it is more than his potential robber has. Just foolish to put himself in harms way even if he didn't carry cash.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Compounding this "easy target" situation are advertisements like these, found all over the web:

http://www.travelpunk.com/stories/carina.htm

No wonder tourists think Muñoz is a safe haven to visit.

Here's a very strange and oddly similar experience as the story above, posted by a "Canadian" - I guess it's not only in the sankie forums on DR1 that people forget where they are from! Scroll down about 2/3 of the page, here's the title:

2/ JOURNEYS FOR FEBRUARY 2003
SPANISH LEARNING IN THE DOMINICAN REPUBLIC BY DIANE PELLERIN

http://caribtravelnews.com/c0303_01.htm

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Here's a very strange and oddly similar experience as the story above, posted by a "Canadian" - I guess it's not only in the sankie forums on DR1 that people forget where they are from! Scroll down about 2/3 of the page, here's the title:

2/ JOURNEYS FOR FEBRUARY 2003
SPANISH LEARNING IN THE DOMINICAN REPUBLIC BY DIANE PELLERIN

http://caribtravelnews.com/c0303_01.htm

Funny to read of her experience as a satisfied tourist at Tropical House. (For those unaware, she is the owner).

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Funny to read of her experience as a satisfied tourist at Tropical House. (For those unaware, she is the owner).

I know, I thought the same!
I'm glad there were "two" satisfied customers at this establishment (each having really oddly similar experiences - maybe I'm just a pessimist - perhaps both of them were there the same week!).

Last edited: