Security Systems

Mario

Sep 26, 2004
Hello All:

I need some help with security advice. Here is my situation. I currently own a home on the North Coast. I am in a community with 24 hour security. Recently, there have been an increase in the number of robberry attempts and one successful robberry. The security is basically useless. They routinely fall asleep and not very skilled. I would like to secure my home. What options do I have? Does anyone in the Sosua/PP/Cabarete/Santiago area install and provide guidance on security systems? I need to figure this out quickly as I have a bad feeling about the increase in attempts. My greatest fear is that they will find me or a loved one sleeping once they have entered our home. Please help! I love the North Coast butI suddenly feel afraid. Dont want to go but need to feel safer. Mario

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
Mario, It is imperitive that you do the following.
1. Ensure that ALL doors & windows are protected with bars. The bars must be securely socketed into the concrete otherwise they can be easily pried out. The best is to instal the bars INSIDE the windows, that way they can't be jacked out, & they won't rust & are much more difficult to cut through. It is important to bar even tiny windows as children are often used by robbers to gain access.
2. The barred door cages must be securely padlocked, with the padlocks protected by securely welded plates so that the locks can only be accessed from underneath with the key.
3. Never give keys to maids or other help.
4. Be sure that your bedroom is really secure, with a SOLID door, preferably protected by a steel padlocked gate (protected by a plate.) ALWAYS have your Cel phone by your bedside, together with a phone list including police, (but not dependendent on them!)
5. Do NOT tell your "help" where you are going or how long you will be gone.
6. Have a loud siren installed. If you hear a breakin attempt, turn it on. Thieves don't like noise & will leave.
7. Never leave garden tools, 2X4s etc outside for thieves to use!

Read up on previous posts. Canadian Bob

Mario

Sep 26, 2004
Thanks Canadian Bob!

Hi Bob:

Do you know who installs sirens, gates, doors, etc..I need someone who has the expertise to help me secure my home. Thanks! Mario

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
Any local "iron man" will instal bars etc per your instructions. I'm back in Canada until November, otherwise I'd be glad to assist you. Check Radioshack in Santiago, they sell motion detectors, sirens etc. If you do not have an inverter, be sure to get 9v. powered equipment. I'll get back to you when I return. Good luck! Canadian Bob.

heldengebroed

Bronze
Mar 9, 2005
Buy a little petdog and keep it inside. If someone comes near the house it will start barking and the "robber" will go for an easier house. eg look at, the unfortunate thing that happend at higuey. If the doctor had a little dog. It would have been awakend by the sounds of the robber and raised hell. giving the owners time to react.

Or keep dogs like mine:

http://www.israeldogs.com/videoclips/belgian1.wmv
http://www.israeldogs.com/videoclips/belgian2.wmv
http://www.israeldogs.com/videoclips/belgian3.wmv

Greetings

Johan

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
Nice dogs Johan! I also have a dog, but I don't feed it, walk it, or take it to the vet, and it never sleeps!!... It is a recording of guard dogs in a small plastic box. The sensor "sees" through a reinforced concrete block wall and is the answer....Cost is $69.99, available in the US at Shop from your home.com Tel 1-800267-2444. It is called Barking dog alarm security alarm Model ED-50 Plus. It comes with a transformer to work off 110V or can be battery operated if you don't have an inverter. Canadian Bob (Not spamming!)

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Lights / Sounds

Thieves hate both! Put up some ?flood Lights?? with motion detectors.As anyone aproaches the lights go on. Have some motion detectors connected to Sirens. They hate that TOO! Dogs are a bid fear to all Dominicans. The bigger the better! Many robberies are ?nside jobs?! Change your locks often. Trust no one!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Mario

Sep 26, 2004
More Ideas

Hi All:

Any more ideas about what I can do about security? Im still in the planning to take action mode and wanting to get things right. Please offer advice if you think it will be helpful. So far, Ive gotten a lot of really good ideas. Mario