Do you feel a difference w/ the security plan?

CarpeDReam

Feb 17, 2006
Since I'm not in the DR at the moment, I was just wondering, for those of you who are currently living there, do you feel a major difference in terms of safety in the DR? (especially in the capital)...do the people feel more at ease?

On a related note, are dominicans actually going EARLIER to clubs bc of the new curfew???--that I would have to see to believe.

Mortran

Oct 12, 2004
anti-jihad.dd.vg
I felt safer before. Now with all this heavily armed military in the abandoned streets it has really become scaring. It is like the DR is under siege.

I think many people don't go to the clubs earlier, but simply don't go at all, because it is not worth it, when you have to leave again after just one or two hours. This can be noticed especially on Sundays.

The DR has become a dead place ruled by fear.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I personally don't feel any different. The plus side is the noise dies off early at night in my sector and the street racers appear to have been taken care of.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I feel much safer to see military and police with automatic weapons, protecting me. Its great. I am always in my bed before 12am. I think the crime also has slowed down quite a bit.
AZB

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
I am really happy with the curfew.
Things have improved.
Less gunshots at night, less drunks fighting in the street... The barrio's quality of life just got better.
I hope these measure will last.
People of the barrio are mostly in favor of the curfew (except drunks, hookers, thieves and motoconchistas...)

CarpeDReam

Feb 17, 2006
They must be doing something right (LISTIN):

SANTO DOMINGO.- Un total de 46 personas con antecedentes delictivos, prófugos de la justicia, ha sido apresado por la Policía en allanamientos en barrios de la Capital, luego que las autoridades competentes emitieran las órdenes solicitadas por la Policía Nacional.

Durante los operativos han sido ocupados yipetas, carros, motocicletas, armas blancas y de fuego y droga, mientras los detenidos en once barrios de la Capital eran buscados por la institución del orden acusados de asesinatos, violaciones, asaltos y delitos graves.

Durante los días miércoles, jueves, viernes y sábado, agentes de la institución policial iniciaron la búsqueda de los acusados en los sectores Capotillo, Cristo Rey, La Ciénaga, Guachupita, 27 de Febrero, Los Pinos, María Auxiliadora, La Puya de Arroyo Hondo, Los Ríos, Villas Agrícolas y Villa Juana.

Mediante los allanamientos han sido arrestadas más de 320 personas, entre ellas unas 46 que eran perseguidas por la Policía por la comisión de delitos graves, que van desde asesinatos de policías y civiles, atracos, robos a mano armada, violaciones a menores y otros hechos delictivos.

En el primer día de ejecución de las órdenes de allanamientos fueron detenidas 154 personas, entre ellos 26 prófugos por diversos casos penados por la ley, mientras que entre el viernes y el sábado fueron apresadas 188 personas, 26 de ellas con antecedentes judiciales, en los sectores Capotillo, Cristo Rey, Villas Agrícolas y Villa Juana, del Distrito Nacional.

En el sector Capotillo fueron apresadas 86 personas, 15 de ellas buscadas por las autoridades judiciales por cometer hechos delictivos. Mientras, en Cristo Rey fueron apresados 35, de los cuales seis eran buscados por la justicia.

En Capotillo, además se incautaron de tres armas de fuego, once armas blancas, 18 motocicletas, una yipeta y dos carros.

Asimismo, decomisaron seis porciones de un material rocoso, presumiblemente crack; 16.1 gramos de un polvo blanco, que se cree es cocaína, dos balanzas electrónicas de pesar drogas, 40 CD pirateados y varios efectos electrónicos sin documentos. En tanto que en Cristo Rey decomisaron tres armas blancas, tres motocicletas y una porción de un material vegetal que se presume es marihuana.

El sábado, en los sectores de Villas Agrícolas y Villa Juana se ocuparon 3 armas de fuego, 3 armas blancas, 10 motocicletas, una yipeta, un carro y un camión, 37 porciones de un vegetal, presumiblemente marihuana, así como 8 porciones de un polvo blanco, supuestamente cocaína.

Mortran

Oct 12, 2004
anti-jihad.dd.vg
Amazing! I have no idea with whom you guys have been talking. I haven't found any Dominican so far that approved the curfew.
Looks like you only have contact to the upper class and the evangelicals.

May 31, 2005
They are not Dominicans. The Dominicans that I have talked to are against it. But then again, they are young. I haven't talked to my grandparents about the curfew yet.

CarpeDReam

Feb 17, 2006
I think most dominicans are for it (maybe not so much the young ones)...but dominicans always complain...first they say the government is not doing anything to lessen the crime, now they try, and they still complain...sacrifices have to be made (at least for a few months) to catch those rotton apple criminals who are deteriorating dominican society...in the meantime they have to find social mechanisms to prevent this crime raid from happening again as well as keeping a close watch on drug/ppl trafficking.

Mortran

Oct 12, 2004
anti-jihad.dd.vg
Those who demanded that the government should do something against the crime, certainly didn't have some kind of house arrest in their mind.
The idea was that it should be safe to leave the house, not that it should be impossible.

BTW the younger Dominicans ARE the majority. The Dominican Republic has a different demographic structure than the US or Europe. The average age here is 24. In the US it is 36.5, in the UK 39.
The average age of the expats living here is also most likely higher. This may be the reason why so many people in his forum are happy with the curfew, while Dominicans are not.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Those who demanded that the government should do something against the crime, certainly didn't have some kind of house arrest in their mind.
The idea was that it should be safe to leave the house, not that it should be impossible.

BTW the younger Dominicans ARE the majority. The Dominican Republic has a different demographic structure than the US or Europe. The average age here is 24. In the US it is 36.5, in the UK 39.
The average age of the expats living here is also most likely higher. This may be the reason why so many people in his forum are happy with the curfew, while Dominicans are not.
Closing bars at midnight is house arrest? Are you frickin' serious?????????

WTF difference doesw demographics make? Are not all laws supposed to apply to all equally?

If you do not like what the government is doing, I suggest you start backing political candidates to change what you don't like. Where were you during the last elections? Did you vote? Did you actively support candidates?

Are you even a citizen?

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
It is amazing to me how these people that defend this decree just don't get the fact that this IS a curfew. Is anyone clear on what the rules are? What can or can't you do? The answer is no, because when the military gets this kind of power in The DR they will abuse it to no end. They will interpret this any way they feel like and now they have an excuse to stop you, search you and arrest you for any or no reason at all.

You are all thinking that the police will respect your rights and that if you got nothing to hide you have nothing to fear. That is the case in places where you have educated, well paid police officers, not in The DR. You guys need to understand that The DR has a long tradition of military repression. Something that we've been slowly getting away from and these kinds of measure just tend to erase the progress we've made over the years on this front.

It is not about whether it affects you personally or not, because you say you don't normally go out late at night. It is about the freedom to be able to do so if you feel like...What about if you're coming back from a friend's house past 12:00 PM and you get hauled off to jail just because some jackass cop feels like it? At a minimum this just gives them carte blanche to extort money from the populace...

Most irritating is that you guys support this even though I'm sure you all know that the drinking of alcohol IS NOT now or has ever been the problem in The DR. So they are going to take away your freedom and in the end we'll end up with a higher crime rate than now, because nothing is being done about the distribution of drugs which we all know IS the real problem.

The only good thing I see out of this measure is that they re-integrated a lot of cops who were working in private places and they are serving warrants to fugitives. These are both things that should be done and CAN be done without having to impose a curfew on the general working population.

Why not integrate the full police force to patrol the streets and not just about 4,000 out of 20,000+? They could probably have a cop on every block if they wish...

There's my rant for the day...

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Let the people talk who live here.
The decent people who live responsibly are not the ones who are complaining. The tigres, drunks and motoconcho types are. The barrio folks always complain about everything, they are the once who are always in the middle of riot for any excuse.
Yes, the new law will hurt many businesses but its also going to make the lives safer for many. The police and military are not stopping and questioning the decent people late at night but the tigres on motocycles with shady motives. Police and military know their targets and they know who is who when they see someone late at night. I have driven late at night many times and not a single police or military personnel has ever stopped me anywhere in santiago. This is not a curfew at all. Some how the people who don't live here are the ones who are making a mountian out of nothing.
The businesses were going bankrupt before and they are going bankrupt now. The economy was bad then and now with the higher electricity rates and higher fuel costs, more are going under. The new law is hurting some businesses but then again, we didn't have it that great here to begin with in the first place. Curfew or no curfew, some businesses will go down no matter what. My electric bill at my home came to 4400 pesos for this month and I am a single person who lives here. I am mostly out and use only an A/C at night. Now imagine a business with huge a/c units running all day? Guess how much they are paying?
This new law is only encouraging people to do what they need to do before certain time, so in reality, people are going out earlier and still getting home on time to have a good night sleep. Parents are happy to see kids back home before 12am. Everyone sleeps good knowing everyone is safe at home. I sleep better knowing there are 2 military young guns right outside my home and police on bikes scanning neighborhood.
I am not the one complaining about the new law.
AZB

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Most Dominicans with whom I've spoken abut this are happy that their youngsters are not out all night at discos, as AZB said. They equally said that alcohol was not the predominant factor in crime, drugs were, & that the Government knew how to crack down on drugs (no pun intended) and could do so if they wanted to, but won't because of vested interests.

PlantaFULL

Oct 21, 2004
What amazes me with this, is that despite all the problems and corruption this country has some things seem to be handled so "equaly by the book". What I mean is within the first nights they closed down pretty much everything incl respectable restautants, bars and discos in Santo Domingo where only "rich" people hang out. Similar to how the energy rationalization affects everyone, incl the upper class zones of the city where I'm sure people pay their bills.

I find this amazing because it is so different then what I am used to from other latin countries when it comes to handling such problems. Elsewhere you would hear about military forces invading barrios x and y with dozens of arrests and cutting their electic, but it would never affect everyone equaly. Why the "rich" cope with these problems so easily here is a mystery to me. And yes, I live here and when I said "rich" I am thinking of quite a huge demographic of Santo Domingo, from the malecon up to kenedy, between Gazcue and Av.Luperon I do consider 70% "rich".

PS: I'm not saying this equal application of rules is better or worse, just pointing out how unique this is for such a country.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Let me assure you that most dominicans are really happy with the measures...

The posters living abroad might be upset, but those of us living in the barrios are totally in agreement with these measures. It makes our life more peacefull.

I don't pretend the measures are perfect, but it is a GOOD move !

I hope these measures will LAST !