Listen to fools........

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
......because even fools have their saying. (someone said that, don't know who).
Lumumba's thread: "Down with de-facto martial laws in the DR" was shut down and I don't think that's fair!
Yes, he/she has radical ideas and political views. But was wrong with that?
Presumably, -correct me if I don't "get it"-, Everyone here is entitle to voice his analysis or observations on anything not deemed insulting, rude or offensive to anyone regardless of how far reaching, militant or ridiculous their promulgations may be! I mean, isn't this what democracy is supposed to be?
No doubt that the "powers that be" are biased, prejudiced, unfair, and, I dare say: Abusive.
You are censoring a good part of what illustrates DR1 is all about. If this web site is to be free, equal and classless, then you need to cease being a dictator of what YOU feel is right or wrong and leave it up to someone other than you, the "moderator", to choose weather the thread has validity or not.
Lumumba's was a very good topic to have explored further. This is how some of us can learn the very big differences between the policies of Chavez's and Castro's as opposed of Bush's and Blair's.
To capriciously close up a thread based on your own biased judgment, is simply un-British, un-American! For shame!!

Last edited:

Sholly24

I'm an athiest loving Obama fan!
Mar 5, 2006
What is wrong with it?

......because even fools have their saying. (someone said that, don't know who).
Lumumba's thread was shut down and I don't think that's fair!
Yes, he/she has radical ideas and political views. But was wrong with that?
Presumably, -correct me if I don't "get it"-, Everyone here is entitle to voice his analysis or observations on anything not deemed insulting, rude or offensive to anyone regardless of how far reaching, militant or ridiculous their promulgations may be! I mean, isn't this what democracy is supposed to be?
No doubt that the "powers that be" are biased, prejudiced, unfair, and, I dare say, Abusive.
You are censoring a good part of what illustrates DR1 is all about. If this web site is to be free, equal and classless, then you need to cease being a dictator of what YOU feel is right or wrong and leave it up to someone other than you, the "moderator", to choose weather the thread has validity or not.
Lumumba's was a very good topic to have explored further. This is how some of us can learn the very big differences between the policies of Chavez's and Castro's as opposed of Bush's and Blair's.
To capriciously close up a thread based on your own biased judgment, is simply un-British! For shame!!

I did not have the opportunity to read the thread mentioned before it was erased so my comments have no bearing with the contents. My only question is "what is wrong with erasing a thread"?.

Does anyone loose money because their thread was erased?
Does anyone feel that their views must be heard, no matter what?
What if your view is not heard, does it take anything away from you?
Do the views have to be heard here and not somewhere else?

I could go on and on with my 20 questions but the fact remains that the moderators of this site have the responsibility to decide what is allowed and not allowed even when they appear to be biased. I am not saying it is right but in it's simplicity, I am saying that that is their job.

I am only saying this because the basic principle is that this is a forum to share ideas and information and if someone writes something that is erased then it is the loss for the forum and not for the writer unless you are being paid for your effort.

I have to confess that I have written a few things in the past also that were deleted and I have always respected the decision of the moderators. No one looses anything if their views is erased or people decide that they are not interested in what they have to say.

I keep my life very simple every day.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
On this issue Sholley I agree with you. :cool:

This website is privately owned and the policies of the owners are their privilege.

I've had a few posts deleted. I don't go ballistic.

If Anna deletes a post of mine I boycott spaghetti for a week.

If Robert deletes a post of mine I boycott warm beer for a week.

Actually that thread was closed but not deleted. Here's the thread:

http://www.dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53125

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
.....Everyone here is entitle to voice his analysis or observations on anything not deemed insulting, rude or offensive to anyone regardless of how far reaching, militant or ridiculous their promulgations may be! I mean, isn't this what democracy is supposed to be?
No doubt that the "powers that be" are biased, prejudiced, unfair, and, I dare say: Abusive.

This is not a democracy. This is not free, equal and classless. This is a capitalistic venture and those who have the investment, are the ones to decide what stays and what goes.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
This is not a democracy. This is not free, equal and classless. This is a capitalistic venture and those who have the investment, are the ones to decide what stays and what goes.

Amen!

-NALs

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
Ms/Mr Sholly, you pose interesting questions.

I did not have the opportunity to read the thread mentioned before it was erased so my comments have no bearing with the contents. My only question is "what is wrong with erasing a thread"?.

Does anyone loose money because their thread was erased?
Does anyone feel that their views must be heard, no matter what?
What if your view is not heard, does it take anything away from you?
Do the views have to be heard here and not somewhere else?
I keep my life very simple every day.

Let's pretend for a moment that you live in a totalitarian country such as Cuba and you want to post your thoughts on a web site that you feel will make a difference and benefit your comrades but were censored; would you still question all of the above?... Huh?
Democracy is a system of government that offers equal rights to every person to participate in it. You can say whatever you want (within reason), without suppression.
Dictatorship is a system of oppression, repression, censorship, and a one-person rule that can shut, kill or incarcerate without due process.... DR1-like.
I don't mean to go over the top on this one but I'm feeling pretty righteous about now.
Must be the Birra moretti.

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Don Juan, for a board member since 2003 with over 400 posts to your credit I have to automatically suspect that you are just trying to stir discontent here on the board especially after reading this post by you. Here is another example of a post that was recently shut down.

Here on DR1 it seems to be that if you don’t wish to follow the very few and simple rules that have been established by those in power then you stand the possibility of being cut off at the knees. How flagrant you wish to be with your wrongdoing seems to apply in direct proportion as to what punishment that is meted out. From the post in question plus the one I referenced above it should be very apparent to anyone with DR1 experience as to why they were shut down. You will notice that the bad posting wasn’t erased and is still there for your reading pleasure if that is your thing.

Having said that then simple reasoning should indicate that if the owner of this board has determined that the material in question is not what is wanted on this board then any reference to it would also more then likely raise the small hairs on the nape of the neck. I could be wrong in my assumption but then again I’m trying to use simple reasoning.

Rick

Last edited:

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
And this being a "democratic" board, you are free to leave (free of charge!) and join another board who might be interested in what you have to say and maybe even back you up.

Now if someone comes into my home and starts talking about something I maybe don't believe in, I always have the right to ask him to leave. If he doesn't want to leave, then I kick him out. :eek:gre:

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
......Everyone here is entitle to voice his analysis or observations on anything not deemed insulting, rude or offensive to anyone regardless of how far reaching, militant or ridiculous their promulgations may be! I mean, isn't this what democracy is supposed to be?
Nope. Even in the US, the First Amendment guaranteeing the right to free speech, only guarantees that the government will not interfere with that right.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Every once in awhile somebody mounts a soapbox and raves and rants about censorship. A need for attention seems to be the primary motive in most cases, especially when it was not their post they are ranting about.

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
Nope. Even in the US, the First Amendment guaranteeing the right to free speech, only guarantees that the government will not interfere with that right.

Even in the US freedom of speech is not absolute, you can't stand up in a crowded theater and yell FIRE.

It's sure to get you a ride in a black and white taxi, including a free night stay at the grey bar hotel, along with a front row seat at the courthouse.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Even in the US freedom of speech is not absolute, you can't stand up in a crowded theater and yell FIRE.

It's sure to get you a ride in a black and white taxi, including a free night stay at the grey bar hotel, along with a front row seat at the courthouse.

Unless there is a fire.;)

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
Alright then.

First of all, I'd like to apologize to those whom I unintentionally offended. I am sorry for flying off the handle like I did.
It is not my habit to try to stir up trouble,au contraire, I try to avoid confrontations of any kind. Sometimes, though, It gets my goat to see something I believe useful, flushed down the toilet. At other times, I,ve gone ballistic about inconsequential stupidity. Yes, Sometimes I post without thinking it thoroughly to my detriment. But alas! this is me. I can be very insensitive and slow-witted sometimes, OK, a lot of times.
Some of you, nay, all of you criticized me (understandably) for one thing or another. One said I have a need for attention, the other, that I can take a hike if I don't like the way this forum is run, and a thread of banishment from DR1 if I didn't follow rules. Okay then, I STAND CORRECTED. I will not henceforth, rant or rave about anything being said in DR1. I will, because I enjoy it, keep logging on to it but will not participate in any seemingly controversial discussions.
Admittedly, in the past, I have posted pointless nonsense and claptrap garbage. But haven't we all? My aim here is/was to voice my opinion on what I believe was incorrect. Obviously, I was wrong to think it incorrect since not one of you saw it my way. So, my friends, no more babble and jabber coming from this poster.
Finally, I'd like to thank the moderator for not closing this tread because, at least, I had a chance to apologize to all. Thank you.

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Don Juan, correct me if I'm wrong but I was just under the impression that you may have been tipping the bottle and you heard some idiot had been talking revolution against the DR government and due to your love of this fine country you were extremely upset that you didn't have the opportunity to express your words of wisdom to those that did in fact have an opportunity to rant their frustrations and therefore did in fact start your own thread that would enable you to vent that built up passion that was screaming to be let out...... Take a breath ......... No need to apologize. Hehehe

Rick