What is Price for Beach Chair at Sosua Beach?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I'm posting this for a renter in the building where I live. He made his first visit to the beach yesterday and when he tried to rent a chair he was told it was a very high price. Certainly much more than he was willing to pay, so he came back and used the pool in our complex.

So that I can help him get the best price possible, what is the going rate for chairs at Sosua Beach?

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
I pay 70 pesos per chair when I go. Last time I visited was for semana santa (holly week) this year.

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
The official price is 60 pesos. At the charamicos end you usually gets them cheaper. Scandinavian Bar (152) takes 50 pesos including parasol.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Ken:

$RD 60 is the price, send them to Chiringuito, ask for Ari, Caseta #67. He is fluent in English.
He owns the restaurant and the chairs.
They will be treated well, and not ripped off.

PS: You have lived in DR for how many years and never rented a beach chair!
(Just breaking your chops)

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
Caseta #67 is my only beach stop in Sosua. The guy speaks perfect english and he doesnt rip anyone off. Ari knows everyone in the area also and looks out for his customers. Very nice respectful people in that establishment. I recommend highly! Try the pina coladas made from the fresh pineapple! yummy!

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Did you know Ari started out 10 years ago actually renting the beach chairs and now owns the place. He treats me like family in there as well.

Beads, if you have an extra Router, Ari wants to hook up his laptop to the internet cafe next door.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
PS: You have lived in DR for how many years and never rented a beach chair!
(Just breaking your chops)

I like to walk the beach, in the shade. All those suinburns I endured when in high school, then afteward before finding a home in the DR, have caught up with me. I now make an annual visit to the dermatologist to have sun-caiused lesions removed from parts of the body that have not been exposed to the sun for years.

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
I was there at the end of June I think I dickered 100 for two, maybe it was 120. I don't remember because...this is true...the guy told me to pay him the next day. So off I walked and the next day forgot all about it and headed to Playa Grande.

Incidentally a couple of guys noticed my tattoos on Sosua beach and proceeded to push getting a tattoo done. I felt like they just would not stop bugging me (I made the mistake of looking through their book) so I said, look, I will be back tomorrow with some friends and then we can decide. It put them off for the rest of the day which was a relief. So tell your renter that if a Sosua beach salesman is getting to be too much, tell them tomorrow.

The best trick on Sosua beach was the shrimp guy who kept giving me "samples" and when I finally bought my ten shrimp turns out I had already eaten five of them :) Oh well, they were delicious.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Have always been told 60RD. Usually can deal for two for 100 and manytimes have an umbrella thrown in for the same price. Especially if it is a slow day.
Bob K

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Ken, now that we know the price is supposed to be about 60-70RD, I'm curious as to what was the price they tried to charge your tenant?

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
More info...hehe

I always go to Andres restaurant. I get them for 70 bucks with an umbrella and a small table to put my beer on.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
El Tigre I get the same for 60 pesos - then again maybe you have to be female and blonde to get the better price.....LOL

Seriously, he has an excellent business. His food is good and I have always had great service from Andre too.

Ps I think he is #64 on Sosua Beach

jcrew20

Jun 22, 2005
Last time I was in Sousa, I got 3 chairs for 100 pesos in the late afternoon. It does take a little convincing, for them to understand, that some money is better than no money.

Victor Laszlo

Bronze
Aug 24, 2004
Ken, there is a sign at the El Batey entrance to Sosua Beach that lists the price for a beach chair as 60 pesos. I think maybe somebody spotted your guy as a newbie and decided to take advantage. I realize that such a thing is virtually unheard of in the DR, but still...

Directing him to someone reputable, like Ari at Caseta #67 as posted above, should take care of the problem.

There is often an additional fee for an umbrella, though that charge can be easily avoided by selecting a chair under a nice shady tree. That might be a good solution for you as well.

divingmarky

Feb 27, 2006
I thought I would just add my two peneth. No more than 60 pesos and as low as 25 at the charamico end at about 2.30 in the afternoon mid week. Another great bar with an English speaker who can help a newbie is Siempre Sol halfway down the beach. Herman the dutch owner been aroundfor 15 years will get good exchange rates for him and generally look after him.