Air Conditioning - Great Company!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
We just had a 15,000 BTU AC split unit installed in the downstairs part of our office.

I had a few different companies quote and come and look at what was need etc. We received some interesting quotes, most oversized, some by as much as 2.5x. Bottom line, I wasn't comfortable with anyone.

I was looking for a good quality unit, that is well supported and gets good reviews. I'm sure you can by an 15k BTU unit cheaper at Plaza Lama, but the level of quality and service is often bad. As many of us know, it's worth paying a little extra here for service and knowing you can speak to someone that will actually help you.

Eventually we went with recommendation of a friend who's brother has an AC company. They do lots of high-end homes, offices and developments and have a long history here. It was a smart move :)

They installed the unit on the day they said they would and did a very professional installation. Right tools, clean and tidy, right frame, pipe lagging etc etc. Even did all the electrical cable work for the 220V hook up.

Problem... Yes, it's never 100%.
I wanted the outside electrical connection to be in a weather proof steel box.
They either forgot the box and didn't quite get what I wanted.
No problem. I sent an email to Migual the owner and the guys turned up the next day with a weather proof box and re-did the cabling.

Bottom line...
I would 100% recommend MPG & Asociados and know if I have any problems in the future they will look after me. Which is more than can be said for many AC companies or department stores that sell AC units here.

AC Unit:
Model: Mitsubishi 15K BTU's - Mr. Slim
5 year guarantee on compressor.
Price: RD$37,508
Website: http://www.mrslim.com/Products/Category.asp?ProductCategoryID=24

Company:
MPG & Asociados - Santo Domingo
Email: mpg.asociados@verizon.net.do
Tel: (809) 531 6666
Owner: Miguel (speaks and writes English)

Last edited:

jackieboo

On Vaction without a return ticket!
Mar 18, 2006
incorrect e-mail

Just tried to e-mail these guys and it was rejected. Can you double check the e-mail and repost?

Here's the reject notice:
<mpg.asociados@verizon.net>: host relay.verizon.net[206.46.232.11] said: 550
5.1.1 unknown or illegal alias: mpg.asociados@verizon.net (in reply to RCPT
TO command)

Jack

Last edited:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I?d say You Paid About DOUBLE!

The cost of a 12,000 BTU split unit is about 17 to 19 thousand pesos installed!
I just had a 12,000 btu unit installed in my sons bedroom. Cost me 14,500 pesos.It was suposed to be a 9,000 btu unit for that price,but they were ?ut?of 9,000s so they installed the 12,000 unit for the same price!It?s like a Friggin?Walk'n Freezer down there! Glad I don?t have to pay for electricity!!;)
cccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
We just had a 15,000 BTU AC split unit installed in the downstairs part of our office.

I had a few different companies quote and come and look at what was need etc. We received some interesting quotes, most oversized, some by as much as 2.5x. Bottom line, I wasn't comfortable with anyone.

I was looking for a good quality unit, that is well supported and gets good reviews. I'm sure you can by an 15k BTU unit cheaper at Plaza Lama, but the level of quality and service is often bad. As many of us know, it's worth paying a little extra here for service and knowing you can speak to someone that will actually help you.

Eventually we went with recommendation of a friend who's brother has an AC company. They do lots of high-end homes, offices and developments and have a long history here. It was a smart move :)

They installed the unit on the day they said they would and did a very professional installation. Right tools, clean and tidy, right frame, pipe lagging etc etc. Even did all the electrical cable work for the 220V hook up.

Problem... Yes, it's never 100%.
I wanted the outside electrical connection to be in a weather proof steel box.
They either forgot the box and didn't quite get what I wanted.
No problem. I sent an email to Migual the owner and the guys turned up the next day with a weather proof box and re-did the cabling.

Bottom line...
I would 100% recommend MPG & Asociados and know if I have any problems in the future they will look after me. Which is more than can be said for many AC companies or department stores that sell AC units here.

AC Unit:
Model: Mitsubishi 15K BTU's - Mr. Slim
5 year guarantee on compressor.
Price: RD$37,508
Website: http://www.mrslim.com/Products/Category.asp?ProductCategoryID=24

Company:
MPG & Asociados - Santo Domingo
Email: mpg.asociados@verizon.net.do
Tel: (809) 531 6666
Owner: Miguel (speaks and writes English)

They are exceptional units, and you got a great price.WISE choice spending money on quality.The indoor coil is like a whisper and condenser is never heard, plus a quality remote. Great investment and choice.;)

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
The cost of a 12,000 BTU split unit is about 17 to 19 thousand pesos installed!
I just had a 12,000 btu unit installed in my sons bedroom. Cost me 14,500 pesos.It was suposed to be a 9,000 btu unit for that price,but they were ?ut?of 9,000s so they installed the 12,000 unit for the same price!It?s like a Friggin?Walk'n Freezer down there! Glad I don?t have to pay for electricity!!;)
cccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc

I got 3 quotes, all around the same price.

Yep, I could have went a brought a piece of junk from Plaza Lama, Ochoa etc, but I wanted something that was quality, would be installed correctly, backed by a "real" guarantee etc etc.

I learnt a long time ago here in the DR, if you buy based on price you're a mug. You buy based on the reputation and support.

What do they say... Price is long forgotten after the quality is remembered.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
They are exceptional units, and you got a great price.WISE choice spending money on quality.The indoor coil is like a whisper and condenser is never heard, plus a quality remote. Great investment and choice.;)

Thanks, I agree ;)

It sure is slient, you don't even know it's on.

I have heard plenty of units here after 3-6 months start making that "AC" rattle. Or worse still, breaking down and never getting fixed... Plaza Lama anyone....

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
I will never buy so much as a piece of gum in plaza lama. . . . . . .I wasted 2.5 hours of my life in plaza lama, buying a microwave. . . . .only to leave without a microwave. . . . never again

I asked to speak to the manager 3 times. . . .all 3 looked annoyed ans just barked that I needed to speak to my salesman. . . . .

What dopes. . . .if I was happy with the service I was getting from my salesman. . . .I wouldn't need to speak to a manager. . . . . not even a bottle of water if I am dying of thirst. . . . .maybe I should blog about some of that stuff. . . . . lol. . . .