Visa for pregnant girl

guananico

Jul 12, 2006
This has probably been hashed out before but I am hoping to get some particular answers and suggestions. My lady is 3 months pregnant and was hoping there was a way to get her to the US before the baby is due.

#1 Is there any fast track to get a visa for my pregnant Dominicano wife to the US?

#2 Anyone know of any good attorneys that could possibly make this happen?

Thank-You

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Freedom of Speech

It it wasn't for "Freedom of Speech" we wouldn't know who the ----'s were!

I don't think U.S. Immigration will care about your girlfriend being pregnant. If they made exceptions for that, all the females would be trying that route. If you are a U.S. citizen and the child is yours, I believe the child WILL BE a U.S. citizen, regardless of where the child is born. In this case, the child would be both American and Dominican if that be the case. I would suggest that you register the child in both countries, so that in the future, the child will maintain both nationalites. The child may some day want to be a Dominican Politician!

Good Luck.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
If anything, I would think her being pregnant would make it more difficult to get a visa. Without PROOF that the father is American, in the eyes of immigration, this could be just another third world mother looking to have her baby born in the US so it can be an "anchor child".

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Guananico,

I’ve gone through your prior posts and as I didn’t see it then allow me the opportunity to welcome you to DR1.

I am assuming this girl you are talking about is the same one mentioned here. If this is true then I will assume that you did the required groveling and everything is okay between the two of you now.

Due to the US being a country with jus sanguinis and jus soli they prefer to admit people that they think are not trying to get automatic citizenship for their offspring. Due to this you may have difficulties in accomplishing your desire before delivery date.

Having said that then allow me to give you some advice in anticipation or expectation that approval is not given.
1. Take photos of her as time progresses. Preferably with you in the picture beside her.
2. Get a copy of all medical documents that pertain to her pregnancy.
3. Take pictures of the baby after delivery with you in the picture.
4. A copy of your marriage license.
5. A side view of her BBB (Big Bare Belly) in month 9.

Make sure there are pictures of the two of you together before she looks pregnant. With all this documentation you have fulfilled all the things that the US authorities will ask of you to insure American citizenship if the baby is born over here.

Once the baby is delivered the procedure for a visa is much easier.

Due to the fact that a birth is virtually free here in the DR for a Dominican female in a public hospital this may or may not have a bearing on your decision. Regardless of what ever way you go please make sure that your wife has at least one pre-natal checkup monthly and feed her a lot of vitamins and minerals and that she eats properly everyday.

Rick

Last edited:

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
declaration of birth abroad

If you are worried about the child being able to gain US citizenship if born in the DR you can relax. Take all the photos and keep the documents as suggested in the earlier post and then you will simply fill out the papers for declaration of a birth abroad to an American parent.

You will also have to bring in certain papers from the Domincan government, DR birth certificate and something else, check with the US consulate for details. I did this with my son 7 years ago and it was no problem even though I am American, his father Canadian and he was born in DR. (he has his own little folder of passports ;) )

Not trying to sound cynical but it may also help to have a DNA test done after the baby is born just to help convince the authorities.

Best of luck as you venture into parenthood.

guananico

Jul 12, 2006
contact

Can anyone give me the E-mail address and/or phone # for Yadira Morel? My e-mail is jahfelipe@yahoo.com.

There are some extrenuating circumstances to all this. I have been wihth the girl for 6 months in the D.R. I am confident the baby will be mine. I still am married in the US although the divorce process has been started.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
The U.S. Embassy will make you take a DNA test to prove it is your baby.

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
The extenuating circumstances puts everything into a different light as to the visa situation. The fact that she is pregnant and you seem to wish for the child to hold a US citizenship further reinforces the fact that you should follow the procedures as I outlined in my prior post. Until such a time that you get a divorce from your present wife and marry this Dominican girl the US authorities will look at this as a person wishing to get US citizenship through sol sanguinis. If you try to claim said citizenship without going through the normal procedure of marriage to said woman then it is very possible that the US authorities will request or demand a DNA test to prove paternity as mentioned by SKY. If you marry this woman then the items that I outlined should suffice for citizenship.

As you failed to make reference to my other instructions to you then please don’t be offended by my bringing them up again. I only mention them due to my experience in living here and that which I have witnessed through the years and some other members may agree on.

It seems that the average Dominican female, be it through lack of knowledge and/or money, have a tendency to not get enough pre and post natal visits, intake the vitamins and minerals needed in a pregnancy, and not eat properly during said pregnancy. It is because of these factors that there are so many problems encountered with pregnancies here. If you compound that with the fact that most men are oblivious to those things that are necessary for proper gestation reinforces the importance of my desire that you follow my suggestions concerning her pregnancy.

Rick

skyblue

Mar 20, 2006
rick, you sound like you are a really nice guy and are giving him really great advise, except he's more concerned with a visa than prenatal care. all the points you mentioned are right on target and i hope he listens to you. also, i don't think it will look favorable on his part that he is trying to request a visa for a spouse/fiance, when he is in fact still married in the states. from what little i know about the process, 100% honesty and disclosure is required b/c if the there is anything fishy in your petition, it can get thrown out.

i also think that 6months is not a long time to know someone, especially if you got her pregnant after 3. please be careful, get the test done, b/c you can end up as nothing more than a lotto ticket.

good luck

The Healer

Aug 27, 2004
Dear Guananico, consider your problem solved. Tomorrow morning at 11:00am bring with you a current picture of the girl, the thousand dollars that you keep for emergancies, place them in an envelope, and tape them up under the sink in the Men's Bathroom at Rocky's bar. Also, your social security number, date of birth and your mother's madian name. I will get back to you.

The Healer

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Come on guys, tell it like it is, for the luvva Pete!

The girl will not get a visa now or anytime within the next year.
She needs to have you here for the birth, and she needs your forceful support for the pre and post natal care of the baby. Since i am supposing that you are a US citizen with at least 4 years of residence in the US after your 14th birthday, you automatically pass your citizenship on to the baby.

The baby must be registered at the US consulate as soon as possible after birth. This means that you need to be here, file and get the baby squared away.

Lots and lots of paperwork, but it is a fairly straight forward process. Do NOT expect any sympathetic assistance from anyone at the Consulate.

HB:ermm:

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
As the authorizing authority for any type of visa for the US is the US Department of State then it is understood that all procedures are in English. If you are a non-English speaking person then the use and need of an immigration attorney is a given. If you speak, read and write English then the need for an attorney is not essential. Due to computers and the US Dept of State web-site and your ability to read English you can do the procedure yourself. Unlike here in the DR, who you know or the use of an attorney will not speed your application up. There is a set procedure and it must be followed and due to that fact I don’t think any attorney or Yadira can make the system work any faster.

To find out about US visas go here. FAQ about visas go here. To determine what type of visa you wish to apply for go here. If it’s an employment visa you want then go here.

The visa I acquired for my wife I did at the US consulate in SD myself and the total process took about 3 months but that was back in 1999 which was before (9-11). I also did it after my son was born which may have helped my case. All indications and everything I hear indicates that it is much more difficult now as compared to when I did it. The numbers haven’t seemed to have changed as to the number of visas allowed but rather in the added bureaucratic red-tape required in the process and the fact that there is now a Home Land Security agency which works with the Dept of State.

Rick

And as HillBilly said, the baby, its health and that of its mother should be on the front burner.

Hillbilly said, "Do NOT expect any sympathetic assistance from anyone at the Consulate.", and that's a fact Jack!!!

Last edited:

twincactus

Aug 9, 2004
www.dominicanstotheusa.com
Rick is correct in most of what he says except that if you are a non English speaking person that you need an attorney. The paperwork can be in Spanish at the Consulate and they will give the interview in Spanish also. Rick, it may have changed since you went through the process, but there have been several people on my board who have gotten visas without attorneys and their spouses or fiancees' didn't speak English at all. There is NO shortcut. Period. We have had cases where someone got an open cita when the beneficiary was pregnant but quite frankly, this case already is fishy. You can't come on a public forum and say you are going to try to get a work visa if you can't get a fiancee' or spousal visa. The US government is not stupid and does investigate these cases. I remember his other post and I think he has little chance unless he goes through the normal process. Even then, it will be a good 6 months before the petition even gets to the Consulate. Like someone said here, it would be easier and faster if he waits until the baby is born and then gets the DNA test. There is a good chance the Consulate will require it, and he might just possibly find out something he didn't want to know anyway.

-Tim
--

Last edited by a moderator: