Non PC question?

rainbow123

Jul 28, 2006
I did a search but couldn't seem to find any related posts. Probably because its a trivial topic that no-one else is interested in!

I'm not quite sure how to ask this because it seems inappropriate to specifically discuss the colour of someone's skin, but oh well...

I've read a little bit about the different peoples who make up the ethnic background in the DR, but I was surprised to meet several people who looked as though they may have had some African ancestors ("black" skin, black afro hair) and the most beautiful blue and/ or green eyes. One guy even had a green eye and a blue eye! I doubt they were contact lenses because the guys were working as beach vendors selling trinkets, not dressed up for a night on the town, and I met several of them with striking blue eyes during our two week holiday.

I know that there are Dominicans (and people everywhere) of every shade, but I've never met anyone who wasn't "white" who had blue eyes. When's the last time you met a blue eyed Chinese or Asian person of mixed decent?

I'm not some wierd Nazi, I just thought it looked cool. Does anyone know where this might have been inherited from?

Fuel

Jun 29, 2006
I did a search but couldn't seem to find any related posts. Probably because its a trivial topic that no-one else is interested in!

I'm not quite sure how to ask this because it seems inappropriate to specifically discuss the colour of someone's skin, but oh well...

I've read a little bit about the different peoples who make up the ethnic background in the DR, but I was surprised to meet several people who looked as though they may have had some African ancestors ("black" skin, black afro hair) and the most beautiful blue and/ or green eyes. One guy even had a green eye and a blue eye! I doubt they were contact lenses because the guys were working as beach vendors selling trinkets, not dressed up for a night on the town, and I met several of them with striking blue eyes during our two week holiday.

I know that there are Dominicans (and people everywhere) of every shade, but I've never met anyone who wasn't "white" who had blue eyes. When's the last time you met a blue eyed Chinese or Asian person of mixed decent?

I'm not some wierd Nazi, I just thought it looked cool. Does anyone know where this might have been inherited from?

You might have opened Pandora's Box. Not many people like talking about that subject on this forum. Its always seems to take the wrong direction.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
I'd be willing to bet they indeed WERE contact lenses. I know at least 2 dominicanas who wear colored lenses, strictly for asthetic reasons.

nikke

Sep 19, 2005
Part of my family is Dominican. My cousin's father is black with afro hair and green eyes. IMHO it happens but it is really rare. This would have to do with mixed ancestry, that's all.

Last edited:

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Genetics is simple math. Both Green and Blue eyes are recessive traits. This means for somebody to be have this trait, both parents must be carriers of the recessive gene or have the trait.. If both parents are carriers, the children have a 25% chance of having the trait. If one parent is a carrier and the other has the trait, there is a 50% chance. With one parent not having the gene, there is 0% of children having the trait. The chances of a parent having the gene is dependant on how far back in his ancestry was the person who had the recessive gene.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
Genetics is simple math. Both Green and Blue eyes are recessive traits. This means for somebody to be have this trait, both parents must be carriers of the recessive gene or have the trait.. If both parents are carriers, the children have a 25% chance of having the trait. If one parent is a carrier and the other has the trait, there is a 50% chance. With one parent not having the gene, there is 0% of children having the trait. The chances of a parent having the gene is dependant on how far back in his ancestry was the person who had the recessive gene.

That is a straightforward explanation of recessive traits that doesn't make my blue eyes glaze over. Light dawns on Marblehead.

Well done.

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004

I guess you don't know who Vanessa Williams is?

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Vanessa Williams is bi-racial, and as far as I know her blue eyes are indeed natural. Let's face it, the combination of dark skin and african features and hair with blue or green eyes, while theoretically possible, is going to be rare. Having one green and one blue eye even more so. It's fairly common in some animals (cats) but not in people. Far more likely they were wearing contacts. The guy with the mismatched pair probably was colorblind, had a pair of each and got them mixed up, or else was making a "fashion statement".

May 31, 2005
I have met one person in my life that has one blue eye and one green eye. I have met another person in my life that has one blue eye and one brown eye. They were both Dominican. It is unbelievable that you think that these are contacts. They might be but you are basically stating it like if it was impossible. It is possible.

magoo

Jan 13, 2005
I remember a dominican model who is a "morena" with incredible blue eyes. Her last name is Peynado. She went to Italy, married there, and had a light skinned girl with curly blonde hair and the same blue eyes. Some years ago they appeared together in a beautiful photo in the Listin Diario.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You mix things up enough and you get truly intreguing results. I remember my impression of Hawaii. Some of the most exotic and beautiful people I have ever seen.
The DR has welcomed successive waves of immigrants from Europe, and during the 17th and 18th centuries there were forced immigrations from the Canary Islands. Wave upon wave of Spaniards have come as have Lebanese, Chinese, Americans, Cubans and Venezuelans....now THAT is a mix.
My grandmother in law, Mama Lela, was quite dark, green eyed, aquiline nose and long straight black hair (probably why she was my grandmother in law!!:p:p:p). HOwever, nobody in the HB Clan has ever been graced with blueor green eyes....:(

HB