Tracing Copy of DR Timeshare Deeds

karensav

Aug 17, 2006
Hi, can anyone help? How do I get to view the title registry so I can get a copy of my deeds. The new pwners at Viva Wyndham in Playa Dorada are insisting I re confirm my ownership. I bought from Heavens Hotel then owned by a Florida based comp[any in 1990. Any ideas?

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
I don't think they ever sold timeshare as "deeds" in this country.
Did you buy a straight timeshare or a so called "Vacation Club Membership"?
If there is a title you should have a "Duplicado de Dueño" with a registration number and so on.
You are also talking about new owners, how can there be new owners if you are one of the old owners and you don't know?

Good luck with your research!

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
And chances are that you didn't buy from the owners of Heaven's Hotel but from a Vacation Club/Timeshare Company operating in the hotel. You may be able to extend your search for documentation to one of the networks, like RCI or II, that they may have registered you with for exchanges.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Here is what Mr Guzman wrote about timeshare;

None exists, unfortunately. A buyer of timeshare in the D.R. usually signs a one page personal contract with the hotel owner, or even sometimes just with the hotel operator. He/she has no rights "in rem" ("over the thing", that is, over the property).

What does this mean? Let's assume the hotel owner has a mortgage with a bank and defaults for whatever reason. The bank will foreclose on the property and the poor timeshare "owner"would be left with no property to "timeshare" He will have a recourse vs. the hotel owner but this gentleman will by then have no money! Another situation: the hotel owner may just sell the property without mentioning the existence of timeshares.

The third party purchaser is not obligated to honor the timeshare contracts since they are not recorded on the property records.

In other countries, the timeshare owner has a recorded right over the property which must be acknowledged by all.

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
S.o.l.

Hi, can anyone help? How do I get to view the title registry so I can get a copy of my deeds. The new pwners at Viva Wyndham in Playa Dorada are insisting I re confirm my ownership. I bought from Heavens Hotel then owned by a Florida based comp[any in 1990. Any ideas?

Having came here in 1989. I got to know the Project Director of the now defunct Heavens Hotel very well.............He Died of Aids several years ago.

The Project Director after him was from Paradise Hotel in the same complex, however is a guest of Club Fed in the States as we speak.

I think your chances of even getting a reply from the now in charge Viva Wyndham people are slim and none.

Larry (A.K.A.Gringo)

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Wow! based on that, it doesn't make sense to buy a timeshare in the DR.

This is the reason my stomach gets all twisted every time the subject comes up. I gave up telling people what a waste of money it is ( more ways than one) 5 years ago.