Ticks??

Captain Hook

May 18, 2004
What is the name of the two types of ticks I keep finding on my dog. One is grey and bigger and the other is small and brown.
I want to know more about them since they came home in my luggage to canada and now I found them on my parents dog here. AHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
They are most likely the same type of tick, one with the bloodsack filled.

If your dog is infested (or maybe its just a fluke) you will need to wash him with flea/tick shampoo and put him on monthly anti-tick medicine applied to the back like Advantage or Frontline. Even the generic stuff you buy at Petsmart works good.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004

vince1956

On Vacation!
May 24, 2006
What is the name of the two types of ticks I keep finding on my dog. One is grey and bigger and the other is small and brown.
I want to know more about them since they came home in my luggage to canada and now I found them on my parents dog here. AHHHHHHHHHHHHH

:bunny: Maybe the small one got a sun tan ha ha:ermm:

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Sounds like your traditional pulga and garrapata. I personally can recommend Frontline. They have sprays and drops that'll take care of that case. You might want to consider taking them to your vet, they'll know how to handle it. Just get it done quick so you don't get a house full of them!

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Sounds like your traditional pulga and garrapata. I personally can recommend Frontline. They have sprays and drops that'll take care of that case. You might want to consider taking them to your vet, they'll know how to handle it. Just get it done quick so you don't get a house full of them!
Those Frontline drops you put between their shoulder blades, work fantastic.

chacha

Feb 14, 2005
Ticks

Grey ticks tend to be of the ixodes species found worldwide brown ticks usually rhipicephalus or dermacentor all carry pretty nasty diseases. Frontline spray is most effective form of treatment being applied either directly to the tick or over the whole animal at a dose rate of 6mls/kg. Frontline however will not prevent future attachment but will kill ticks within 48hrs. The spot on treatment can be used but will take longer to work as you have to allow 24hrs for the treatment to distribute over the body surface before it can start working.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Grey ticks tend to be of the ixodes species found worldwide brown ticks usually rhipicephalus or dermacentor all carry pretty nasty diseases. Frontline spray is most effective form of treatment being applied either directly to the tick or over the whole animal at a dose rate of 6mls/kg. Frontline however will not prevent future attachment but will kill ticks within 48hrs. The spot on treatment can be used but will take longer to work as you have to allow 24hrs for the treatment to distribute over the body surface before it can start working.
Good info.
From what I can tell, we only have one type of tick in the DR.
My dog Rocky was a tick hotel. They loved him.
I was sure there were different types of critters on him. The little ones looked like tiny spiders and the big ones, like an oblong baloon shaped creature with a mouth at one end.
The vets explained to me it was the same animal.
One young, the other full grown.

bill p

Aug 18, 2003
ticks

frontline does work good on ticks. it also works good at giving your dog cancer

zak023

Done and dusted!
Feb 8, 2006
Cancer???

frontline does work good on ticks. it also works good at giving your dog cancer

Bill where did you get this info from? I have not yet heard of a connection with dog cancer from the use of Frontline...

chacha

Feb 14, 2005
Frontline & Cancer

FRONTLINE does not cause cancer not only does it have a non-systemic (dosent enter the body) mode of action it does not contain any carcinogenic properties. If you have any evidence suggesting otherwise I would love to here about it as its a new one on me.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
FRONTLINE does not cause cancer not only does it have a non-systemic (dosent enter the body) mode of action it does not contain any carcinogenic properties. If you have any evidence suggesting otherwise I would love to here about it as its a new one on me.
Just Googled "frontline cancer" and there were no responses whatsoever corresponding to Frontline's products causing cancer.
I'm sure it would have been there if it were true, or even suspected.

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
The little ones looked like tiny spiders and the big ones, like an oblong baloon shaped creature with a mouth at one end.
The vets explained to me it was the same animal.
One young, the other full grown.

If you squichhhhh the little baloon shaped creature the tiny spider will come out! :bunny:
Fix the problem now or they will take over your whole house!

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
You dont' want your house infested with these things, this has happened to me a couple times before I knew what I was doing and its an absolute nightmare, always finding ticks on your furniture or your leg. They will take over your whole house, lay eggs on the walls and all kinds of bizarre chit.

Cirilo

Mar 17, 2005
We have been dealing with ticks for 3 years since we got our first dog. We live on beachfront and my dogs love to go to swim in the ocean, they go daily. So forget about all the kind of shampoo and drops that you can imagine, we have tested them ALL. Hopefully, couple of weeks ago we found an injection to do to the dog, and as a miracle since then no more ticks ;-) I'll find the name of the product, you have to inject it once a month and so far, so good, hope it lasts...

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
We have been dealing with ticks for 3 years since we got our first dog. We live on beachfront and my dogs love to go to swim in the ocean, they go daily. So forget about all the kind of shampoo and drops that you can imagine, we have tested them ALL. Hopefully, couple of weeks ago we found an injection to do to the dog, and as a miracle since then no more ticks ;-) I'll find the name of the product, you have to inject it once a month and so far, so good, hope it lasts...
I've had several dogs in the DR and some of them attract them like magnets and others are almost immune.
One of my dogs, Rocky, I had nicknamed the Tick Hotel.
It was a constant battle,
Bruno, the Ridgeback I now have, never gets them.
I have used Frontline shoulder drops with great success, but known friends who said it would not work on their dogs.
Injections can be an option, and also works most of the time.
What I now do, is send Bruno to the Pet Lodge once a month, where they bathe him with special shampoo, give him his necessary shots, including anti tick shots if need be, and. like I said, he never gets any, but I also had a Black Lab here at one time, and she, with the exact same treatment, would get them all too frequently.
In short, what works for one, may not work for another.