Cuba opening up? - What about the DR agribusiness?

rbaez1

Jan 30, 2002
What about the agribusiness

How much do yo guys think the Dominican produce exporting business will be hurt? since much of the agricultural goods exported from the DR go to the US and Puerto Rico.

Sep 20, 2003
Agriculture

The DR is already looking for new markets for its agribusiness. Dr1 carried a story about the DR expanding sales of produce into Trinidad and Tobago.

One crop the DR might want to look into encouraging is Cacao. Most of the world's Cacao is produced by the Ivory Coast. The prices have been hitting all time highs for the last couple of years because of the on again/off again civil war raging between the north and south of that country. The Ivory Coast is also facing a public relations problem with allegations that 90% of the workers on Ivorian cacao plantations are made up of slave labor gangs. Many members of European parliments are demanding boycotts of Ivorian cacao. Perhaps the DR can enlarge their market share.

The DR is already the third largest supplier of avacodos, why not try to up the share of cacoa? The coffee market is glutted enough already.

Grenada has cornered the global market for nutmeg.

The DR should consider helping its farmers with alternative crops and finding new markets.

Just some ideas.

B

batich

Is economic growth good for ex-pats/retirees?

From my mabe only moderately educated point of view an economic development and growth of DR is a bad thing for ex-pats and retirees living in DR on a fixed retirement/pension income. With stronger economy and more and better paying jobs local population becomes better well-off. And you with your fixed $2000 a month are not reach here any longer but poor.
Is this idea really attractive for most of us?
Do we really need DR to be more developed and much more expensive, like other Caribbean countries?
I do not think so.

Now even with a very moderate income we can afford to do nothing, to enjoy the sea and to have a very cheap home service.
Can you imagine anything better than that?
I cannot.
Please correct me if I am wrong.
IMHO.

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
From my mabe only moderately educated point of view an economic development and growth of DR is a bad thing for ex-pats and retirees living in DR on a fixed retirement/pension income. With stronger economy and more and better paying jobs local population becomes better well-off. And you with your fixed $2000 a month are not reach here any longer but poor.
Is this idea really attractive for most of us?
Do we really need DR to be more developed and much more expensive, like other Caribbean countries?
I do not think so.

Now even with a very moderate income we can afford to do nothing, to enjoy the sea and to have a very cheap home service.
Can you imagine anything better than that?
I cannot.
Please correct me if I am wrong.
IMHO.

This is the most selfish, self serving concept I've heard in a long time! Who do you think you are to believe it's right to suppress an entire country for your benefit?

gmiller261

Dec 29, 2002
Batich

The Dominican Republic and Cuba is the last vestige of possibly living on $2000 USD a month in a tropical paradise. I?ve looked most places that I would want to live in the US and the property taxes alone would drive me to eventually eat dog food.

Yes, it would be somewhat more difficult if the DR economy goes up, but they deserve it. No more less than the entitlement generation of the US.

B

batich

This is the most selfish, self serving concept I've heard in a long time! Who do you think you are to believe it's right to suppress an entire country for your benefit?

I am not suggesting nothing. Not to suppress or not to suppress.
Just said that if it would happen those of us who live here comfortably for $2000 monthly retirement income will have to pack and to move to Vietnam or Thailand.
There is nothing in the world that is good for everybody. If something is good for one group it is bad for another group. It is life unfortunatelly.
I love dominican people. But I love myself too. And I hope to die before I become poor.
Do you prefer for yourself otherwise?

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Just said that if it would happen those of us who live here comfortably for $2000 monthly retirement income will have to pack and to move to Vietnam or Thailand.
There is nothing in the world that is good for everybody. If something is good for one group it is bad for another group. It is life unfortunatelly.
I love dominican people. But I love myself too. And I hope to die before I become poor.

The dog eat dog philosophy. Shameful, but I will give you the benefit of the doubt because as you said in post #3 "you are moderately educated".

May 31, 2005

With your mentality I hope that you do move to Vietnam or Thailand. It is not right to think only of what is right for you and forget about the rest of the people in the country that you live in. You might not be Dominican but do not forget that you live in the Dominican Republic.

B

batich

God bless you all!

The dog eat dog philosophy. Shameful, but I will give you the benefit of the doubt because as you said in post #3 "you are moderately educated".

Unfortunatelly it is true. Dog eating dog philosophy. That is all our modern "civilized" life in our "civilized" world with "enrons" and such.

In this particular DR case if young dogs become richer and stronger they will "eat" (actually price out of life) old dogs (elderly and infirm whose fixed retirement income will never increase). Those in their 60th-70th-80th with their $2000-$2500 a month just won`t be able to afford to buy food or to live in a more or less safe area in the Caribbean paradise.

Or old dogs will "eat" young dogs if they keep them poor (but themselves still will be able to live, to buy food, to have cleanning service , medical help etc). But in this case young dogs at least will not die physically. No third option exists.

Nobody is going to protect old and infirms.
Only themselves within their very limited powers.

Economic reality is such that for the society is desireable if people die the very next day upon retirement.

Pension funds could only dream about it.
SS funds could only dream about it.
Medical insurance companies could only dream about it.
Federal governments could only dream about it.

Old people who still are alive mean - spending money on them without getting nothing in return. Who wants it? Scientifically and economically.

If your income is fixed, with 10% increasing purchasing power and wages and prices around you you automatically become 10% poorer.

With 50% increase - 50% poorer.

With more "development" and "prosperity" around you at some point you`ll have to relocate to Charomico to find un $500-$600 apartamento. And when you are stubbed the very next week your last thought before going to the other world will be - It is so good that this people became more developed and rich! Right??

If you can contradict this without hate, personal remarks and emotions but with valid arguments and sound reasons and figures I will be more than happy to change my opinion. If you help me to see our modern world as just, fair, human and honest - I`ll owe you very big!
I want to be optimist, not pessimist. Optimists live longer and do not have cancer.

Yes, I can call my education only moderate, but after many years lived practically in all biggest and richest capitals of the most developed countries in America and Europe I came to a sad conclusion that development is good for at most 0.001% of the total population. For the rest it means losing freedom and happines, if not actually slavery. Huge stress caused by loans, mortgages, tickets,traffic,unhealthy food and environment.

Look at yourself - do you have more free time and less stress than you had say 10 or 15 years ago?

All - IMHO (if I am given the right to have one)

I love all people of all colors and religions. God bless you all!

I know all above said sounds ugly, disgusting, cynical. But it is the true life as I see it after spending in this world many-many years.

P.S All the above said is just theoretical and abstract considerations of pure academic nature. No particular country or government is mentioned or implied.

P.S.2. Before accusing me of anything please note that I did not say to which group of dogs I belong myself. Very possible to those who are interested in "development" (making more money). You can even find a post of mine (How to invest $50G-$100G in Dominican Republic?).
The only and main idea was that for retirees community in DR development and prosperity of the country will be disaster and ruined hopes for decent and happy golden years.

Loosing a beautiful, relaxed,inexpensive place to spend an hour or so with a bottle of beer without noise and crowd, peacefully watching the sea - Long Beach area in Puerto Plata - was truly symbolic and horrible event.
To see a multi-store Mariott or Sheraton in this place with auto traffic and herds of stupid tourists and NY prices- a worse nightmare cannot be imagined...
I`ve seen enough of it in Hurgada in Egypt, Antalia in Turkey, Hedonisms in Jamaica, Alicante in Spain, Pattaya in Thailand,Sousse in Tunisia and Punta Cana and Playa Dorada of course...

Peace!

Last edited:
G

gary short

Unfortunatelly it is true. Dog eating dog philosophy. That is all our modern "civilized" life in our "civilized" world with "enrons" and such.

In this particular DR case if young dogs become richer and stronger they will "eat" (actually price out of life) old dogs (elderly and infirm whose fixed retirement income will never increase). Those in their 60th-70th-80th with their $2000-$2500 a month just won`t be able to afford to buy food or to live in a more or less safe area in the Caribbean paradise.

Or old dogs will "eat" young dogs if they keep them poor (but themselves still will be able to live, to buy food, to have cleanning service , medical help etc). But in this case young dogs at least will not die physically. No third option exists.

Nobody is going to protect old and infirms.
Only themselves within their very limited powers.

Economic reality is such that for the society is desireable if people die the very next day upon retirement.

Pension funds could only dream about it.
SS funds could only dream about it.
Medical insurance companies could only dream about it.
Federal governments could only dream about it.

Old people who still are alive mean - spending money on them without getting nothing in return. Who wants it? Scientifically and economically.

If your income is fixed, with 10% increasing purchasing power and wages and prices around you you automatically become 10% poorer.

With 50% increase - 50% poorer.

With more "development" and "prosperity" around you at some point you`ll have to relocate to Charomico to find un $500-$600 apartamento. And when you are stubbed the very next week your last thought before going to the other world will be - It is so good that this people became more developed and rich! Right??

If you can contradict this without hate, personal remarks and emotions but with valid arguments and sound reasons and figures I will be more than happy to change my opinion. If you help me to see our modern world as just, fair, human and honest - I`ll owe you very big!
I want to be optimist, not pessimist. Optimists live longer and do not have cancer.

Yes, I can call my education only moderate, but after many years lived practically in all biggest and richest capitals of the most developed countries in America and Europe I came to a sad conclusion that development is good for at most 0.001% of the total population. For the rest it means losing freedom and happines, if not actually slavery. Huge stress caused by loans, mortgages, tickets,traffic,unhealthy food and environment.

Look at yourself - do you have more free time and less stress than you had say 10 or 15 years ago?

All - IMHO (if I am given the right to have one)

I love all people of all colors and religions. God bless you all!

I know all above said sounds ugly, disgusting, cynical. But it is the true life as I see it after spending in this world many-many years.

P.S All the above said is just theoretical and abstract considerations of pure academic nature. No particular country or government is mentioned or implied.

P.S.2. Before accusing me of anything please note that I did not say to which group of dogs I belong myself. Very possible to those who are interested in "development" (making more money). You can even find a post of mine (How to invest $50G-$100G in Dominican Republic?).
The only and main idea was that for retirees community in DR development and prosperity of the country will be disaster and ruined hopes for decent and happy golden years.

Loosing a beautiful, relaxed,inexpensive place to spend an hour or so with a bottle of beer without noise and crowd, peacefully watching the sea - Long Beach area in Puerto Plata - was truly symbolic and horrible event.
To see a multi-store Mariott or Sheraton in this place with auto traffic and herds of stupid tourists and NY prices- a worse nightmare cannot be imagined...
I`ve seen enough of it in Hurgada in Egypt, Antalia in Turkey, Hedonisms in Jamaica, Alicante in Spain, Pattaya in Thailand,Sousse in Tunisia and Punta Cana and Playa Dorada of course...

Peace!
WHAT YOU SAID......................
With a moderate education some of us understand our limitations.................