any ngo workers on the north coast

Status
Not open for further replies.

portofboston

Aug 10, 2006
i'm headed to the north coast to research fishing boats and equipment that might be available there to deliver to poorer fishing communities in the d.r. and haiti. are there any ngo workers out there either traveling or doing work there (up north)? might be cool to connect. - william inkind.org

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I really have to question this sort of thinking.
First you have to educate the fishermen to respect their fishing grounds and to take fish and lobsters in season.
Then you have to teach them how to take care of the equipment.

Do not just give equipment--which will be difficult to find in any event...sad to say.

Most fishermen around here are predators who tend to destroy everything they go near. Especially the "sportsfishermen" Catch and Release? HAHA

HB :ermm:

Last edited:

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
I question it as well. But if you find any, the community that we work with will be grateful.

Now tell us, what are you hoping to accomplish?

All the North Coast Fishing communities are poor.
The Dominican Republic fishing grounds are already 'oversubscribed'. Very few areas are not exploited.
The Dominican Republic only supports about 25% of its own fish and seafood consumption.
The breeding grounds (reefs and estuaries) are being decimated faster than what they are being reclaimed.

What I would suggest, is that you talk to a few people that work with this specific issue and find out what the pain points are, before you start collecting and distributing.

We need integrated fisheries management using many methods, we need sustainable standards, and we need enforcement.

OK, after all that, if you want to chat, let me have a pm.

portofboston

Aug 10, 2006
we're intending to review conditions and apply appropriate management techniques. but we're also open to creating alternative micro-enterprise programs. do you have any helpful suggestions? are either of you natives of the d.r.?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Natives? OooHoo!!! Natives? Like with feathers and conchshell beads?

No, but I have lived and worked here for more than four decades....

HB

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Yes, we have many suggestions I think. Firstly what is your interest, your organization and why the DR?

Hilbilly has been here since Paw fell off the Bus and raised a few generations of families. I'm in my 4th year in the DR.

There are some organizations working with the issues that you mention.

portofboston

Aug 10, 2006
thanks for that thoughtful email, chris. i would be very interested in learning more about your experience there. do you know the names (domain or other) of any of those organizations?

Status
Not open for further replies.