Metro - Taking bets!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Anyone want to guess what this tops out at?

I'm picking US$850 million.

That's a lot of schools and medical care.

170806_1.jpg

Sep 20, 2003
I'm actually looking forward to riding on the SD Metro. I think it will be interesting.

I have to admit I wasn't an early supporter, due to the expense, but now that they are actually building ti, it will be quite something if they pull it off(and it is well built).

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
where can we see a larger version of the map?

I thin k being able to get from los alcorizzos to los minas on the metro would be a good thing. I can't imagine how people do it now?

Anyone want to guess what this tops out at?

I'm picking US$850 million.

That's a lot of schools and medical care.

170806_1.jpg

Sep 20, 2003
The Metro

Does anyone have details on what company/country is going to install the actual subway cars? I read on DR1(from memory) that when the Dominican government originally asked for bids, no companies stepped forward.

Will the subway cars be air conditioned?

Is it still set to open in 2007?

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Metro tops out at more than 2 billion. Why? Original estimated cost of Boston's Central Artery Project in 1985 was US$ 2.5 billion, 14.6 billion has been spent by 2006. Why should the DR be different?

Regards,
PJT

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
The São Paulo Brazil Metro has four lines that have a total length of 57.6 route km (35.7 route miles). The first line opened for revenue service 4 September 1974 on Line 1-Blue between Jabaquara and Vila Mariana and construction began on 14 Dec 1968. Map and information is here.

“Presently, from the about 10.5 million passengers using the public transport system at the Metropolitan Region, just 2.6 million are transported by railway systems. The fleet of cars and individual transport comprises 4.5 million vehicles. Hours spent in traffic jams exceed 20 days per year, resulting in an economic cost evaluated at US$ 6 million/day. Transport made by vehicles accounts for about 80% of all pollutant agents in the atmosphere.”

I’m still researching how much the São Paulo cost to construct but I’m positive it was more then estimated as it has been on every metro in the world. As the fist line in Brazil took 6 years to construct I can’t foresee the first line of the SD Metro being completed before 2010.

Only time will tell.

Rick

Everett

Jun 8, 2006
One wonders about the risk/reward on urban rapid transit investment. Washington DC Metro sure does the job as does BART in SFO. The Boston dig ended up costing plenty but does it work? Of course, other than stuff falling off the roof!
I hope the SDQ metro works for all the obvious reasons.
Urban design and planning is not my field but I wonder why trams and trollys and above ground rail isn't more in use. After the Northridge earthquake in LA the CalTrans people cobbled together an above ground rail link within days that got people moving again.
Given the DR one can only imgaine that cost and time overruns will be outrageous especially once Leonel is out of office.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
It?s Not Weather You Win Or Lose In The DR...

It?s ?THE GAME?that counts!!!!
?Construction?is the most efficient way to steal big money in the DR! The bigger and more complicated the better. Billions of pesos will go to government officials! Not important if the ?Thing?ever gets completed or runs.
This country will never stop the cycle of steal,steal,steal! Never been to a country where virtually everyone is a thief!!
cccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
I'll bet that it gets to US$800 million spent, and then the plug gets pulled on the project before more than 5 miles of it is actually in place. Other more "pressing" problems will rear their heads, and then someone will be responsible and stop this white elephant and Diandino. (and it WON'T be Leonel).

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Can we just place bets here.

Yea everyone keeps sayin I'll bet, I'll bet but they don't say what they are betting. Is it money, a cold presidente, a massage in the local massage palor, what. Maybe we can come to some agreement on the rules for some real betting and then get shut down by some new governmet ordinance!!!:ermm: