Englishman in Republic

garyB

Aug 20, 2006
Firstly wanted to say thanks to all of you for your posts here they are very helpful. I also appologise if this is the wrong Forum for my question.

I am been considering relocating my family, ( myself, wife and two children aged 5 and 7) to the DR from England for some tiem now.

I have visted DR on many occasions and now having just returned again feel that this is the right move for us. If anybody else made this BIG step to uproot their family from England to the DC i would love to hear your views on whether i am doing the best for my family or simply having a mid life crisis.:squareeye

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Firstly wanted to say thanks to all of you for your posts here they are very helpful. I also appologise if this is the wrong Forum for my question.

I am been considering relocating my family, ( myself, wife and two children aged 5 and 7) to the DR from England for some tiem now.

I have visted DR on many occasions and now having just returned again feel that this is the right move for us. If anybody else made this BIG step to uproot their family from England to the DC i would love to hear your views on whether i am doing the best for my family or simply having a mid life crisis.:squareeye
You're in the right forum and many people have done what you speak of.
I wouldn't dare tell you if you would be doing the right thing.
I'm sure you'll be getting a ton of perceptions on the matter.
Good luck.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
You're in the right forum and many people have done what you speak of.
I wouldn't dare tell you if you would be doing the right thing.
I'm sure you'll be getting a ton of perceptions on the matter.
Good luck.
Maybe a ton was an exageration.
Anyone move here with kids, who can give advice?
I have no clue what to do with kids, once they are too big to squeeze into the microwave oven.

skyblue

Mar 20, 2006
Maybe a ton was an exageration.
Anyone move here with kids, who can give advice?
I have no clue what to do with kids, once they are too big to squeeze into the microwave oven.

lol, believe it or not, i find that the kids have an easier time adapting than adults. when i first came to dr as a child with my parents back in 1982, i was approx 8 years old and i can tell you that my first impression was awful, i hated the smell, the people, everthing. we arrived into sti and i thought it was the dump of the dumps. within a few days i was in the best tropical paradise ever. i have a brother and a sister and they had the time of their lives too. going to school was a breeze - no problems at all. my parents on the other hand, had to deal with all the b.s. anyway, stick the kids in school and forget about them. they'll have plenty to do with the beach, new friends, the language, ect.....

Last edited:

Sharlene

Mar 4, 2006
Englishwoman in Republic

I'm moving from England to Sosua next month with my partner and 2 girls (4yrs and 20mths).

Admittedly, the choice has been easier for us because we have relatives living here. However, please don't think you're mad by wanting something different for your family. I've been unhappy with life in England for a long time and don't want my children to grow up there. Many people I know in England feel the same, but for various reasons (family connections, lack of funds, fear etc) will never make the move and possibly always live with that regret. I don't know what the future holds for us, and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't scared when I'm lying in bed at night thinking about the move.....but hey, change is what life's all about, and it keeps the adrenalin flowing.

My girls love it on the coast in the DR. They adore being in the water and my oldest has had no problem integrating with the Dominican children we've met. She started picking up bits of Spanish quickly anyway, as children are quick to learn. There never is any language barrier with children. Ontop of that the Dominican people absolutely adore children and they're much more welcome in public places than they are back in England! I think it's great that the girls will be learning Spanish as they grow. I'll be sending them to the Garden Kids School in Sosua as it's the one that I liked the feel of best (look up their web site and it'll give you a feel of what the education system's like if that's what you're worried about).

Obviously, it depends on your individual circumstances if moving to the DR would be right for you or not. We've wanted to move abroad for a long time. I always wanted my children to grow up with an `outdoor life', their grandparents already live here and their father is an experienced diver. We're also reasonably financially secure. All I would say is, a move like that is best done when your children are young, whatever your circumstances. I know from speaking to others, that as children get older and move through the school system in England, there will be more and more reasons to `put things off' and before you know it, you'll be retiring and wondering what happened to your life......No pressure! lol

Good luck with your decision. I'll keep you posted.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Absolutely spot on...........there is only one life & you don't want 'If only I'd done so & so' on your tombstone. If it doesn't work out you can always move on, but if you didn't try it in the first place you'd never know.

Good luck from another Brit. who moved here 14 years ago & now feels like a foreigner on her rare visits to England...........;)

vince1956

On Vacation!
May 24, 2006
Absolutely spot on...........there is only one life & you don't want 'If only I'd done so & so' on your tombstone. If it doesn't work out you can always move on, but if you didn't try it in the first place you'd never know.

Good luck from another Brit. who moved here 14 years ago & now feels like a foreigner on her rare visits to England...........;)
My brother in law has a house in DR he would move there today but his wife who is a DOM would not like to move back there, they just go for hoildays there. I dont now about medical cover there like we have in the UK maybe some one could answer that for you. My wife also from DOM but i dont like it to hot i like to go there in Nov or Dec for my hoildays all the best vince south wales