Captain Cook's or Jellyfish (or other suggestions)

Jenkins

Aug 20, 2006
We will be in DR at Melia Caribe over the Christmas holidays. We'd like to plan a dinner off the resort at least one evening. I've read lots of positive comments about both the Jellyfish restaurant (which as I understand it is very close to Melia) and Captain Cook's (if someone can tell me distance from Melia for this restaurant, it would be appreciated)

For those of you who have visited, which would be the better choice for a dinner out with our teenagers (15 & 16) - or does it matter ? What would you estimate as the average price per person at each place ?

Also, any other restaurant suggestions (we're interested in something "on the beach") would be appreciated.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Havent tried Jellyfish but have eaten at Capitan Cooks several times and they maintain a great establishment and consistently good food. You must try the "mamjuana", it is fantastic. Capitan Cooks is about 10/15mins cab ride approx. from Melia. I think it is great for people of all ages and it feels good to eat on the beach with your toes in the sand. Enjoy!;) Cost will depend on how much you guys eat, but approximately $40 a head.

marcos1007

Jul 7, 2006
I had diner at the Jellyfish about four months ago. It is a great place for sea food and within walking distance, through the beach, from the Paradisus Palma Real where I was staying. The place is owned by an European lady who is very pleasent. Servive is very good and so is the background music. After diner you can enjoy the terrace and order your favorite drink. I highly recommend it.

Caren M.

Jan 27, 2006
Had lunch for the first time at Jelllyfish this week. By far - much better food than Captain Cooks. Cost us $100 US but we had lobster and several drinks. Unbelievable strawberry daquiries! They said they aren't open for dinner right now. Maybe they are in the winter. But a beautiful location for lunch! Pretty close to Melia- a 10 minute walk on the beach. Try Cooks for dinner - but don't book thru your hotel. It costs quite a bit more that way. Definitely worth the experience. Very fresh seafood right on the beach. About a half hour walk from Melia - take a cab. Tell them you are residents - not tourists - and the price will be better! Enjoy.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
yeah Caren, you're right.
from the Melia Jellyfish is in walkingdistance from the melia resort, but only open during daytime.
capitan cook is my neighbour on my beach in el Cortecito where i run my own business, only 5 minutes from melia in a cab, around $10.- per ride.
if you take mixed plates at cap cook with libster fish shrimps aso they are 40-50 dollars per person, they are big and include all sideplates even the above mentioned Mamajuana as aperitiv.
if you go on daytime take jellyfish, the beach is the better one if your teenage kiddies want to hang out there while youtake an extra drink with your wife at the terrace, but it's more expensive, too, count here on 80-100 dollars per person.
enjoy our beautiful Island
Mike

Caren M.

Jan 27, 2006
Hi Mike-
We live part of the year in the area between el cortecito and los corales! Where is your business? We'll stop and see you when we are there in Oct.
Caren

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
would be nice to meet Caren.
coming to El Cortecito you can ask every person on the beach for Mike from the fishing, after 12 years they know me. just in case here's my e-mail address: Mike@MikesMarina.info .
contact any time.
i don't leave a further description of the business for not to do unwanted unpayed advertising here, we're just chatting.
drop a mail
Mike

rainbow123

Jul 28, 2006
I want to eat king crab, or Alaskan snow crab or whatever its called. Its huge and you boil it up and crack the shells and dip it in garlic butter. I haven't had it since I was a kid in the USA, they don't seem to understand the concept in the UK, the crab we get here is a little piddly thing that stinks of fish and is full of nasty brown meat. Where can I get good crab in Punta Cana? Price unimportant!

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
hello Rainbow,
i am really not a crab pro, so i don't know about the details for cooking them. the crabs i know here on the island are coming mostly from the area around San Pedro de Macoris, huge stuff, they are sold on the streets there, i really can not tell you what's their specific name. in the punta cana area i know only one shop selling crabs, and they don't have them every day, maybe it's a season thing, that's the supermarket Amalia, located in the middle of El Cortecito, right in front of the entrance to the capitan cook beach restaurant.
for the cooking talk to "Sokrates", he's the chief cookie at that beach restaurant, he speaks a good english and he really knows about the preparation of his seafood, you'll find him thereevery day noon til night.
Mike

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
for capitan cook you can take a free speedboat ride, they pick up at your hotel's beach every day, you'll find their guys near to your watersports center, you can also ask your watersports center for that, they'll show you who is the guy from capitan cook.
for hurricane cafe you need to take a cab, around 20 minutes one way ride, costs around $15.- - $20.-
have fun
Mike

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
for capitan cook you can take a free speedboat ride, they pick up at your hotel's beach every day, you'll find their guys near to your watersports center, you can also ask your watersports center for that, they'll show you who is the guy from capitan cook.
for hurricane cafe you need to take a cab, around 20 minutes one way ride, costs around $15.- - $20.-
have fun
Mike