Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default North coast Living

I am moving to the DR next month and i was wondering if you could help me with chosing one of the North Coast cities and towns?
    I'm wanting to live in an area with the least tourists as possible. I understand that Sosua is full of prostitutes and sleezy bars and after visiting Cabarete for myself i noticed it was filled with tourists and the like.
    My child will be attending school in Puerto Plata so she will need to be able to catch some form of transport into the city, we also are wanting to live as close to the beach as possible but more importantly away for the tourists and resort type areas.
    Does anyone have an idea of where we could look to rent or buy?
    Thank You!

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Can your employer help you to get a home near where you will be working? Living in the DR can be very expensive, for most foreign people, as we like a good standard of living ie: flush toilets, electricity. The farther you get from Puerta Plata, the more difficult it is to have these. There is a good school in Costambar, which is close to PP.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Is Puerto Plata a nice area? Or is it similar to Cabarete and Sosua?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by judith30 View Post
    I am moving to the DR next month and i was wondering if you could help me with chosing one of the North Coast cities and towns?
    I'm wanting to live in an area with the least tourists as possible. I understand that Sosua is full of prostitutes and sleezy bars and after visiting Cabarete for myself i noticed it was filled with tourists and the like.
    My child will be attending school in Puerto Plata so she will need to be able to catch some form of transport into the city, we also are wanting to live as close to the beach as possible but more importantly away for the tourists and resort type areas.
    Thank You!
    do you have a car? Costambar is very nice and although there are toursit, it's very residential as the tourist that have come, have stayed! beach close by, and the entire area can be walked. LOVE IT!!!!!!!!1

On Vacation!
    Post Thanks / Like

Default The Real Life

Quote Originally Posted by skyblue View Post
    ... Costambar ...there are tourists, it's very residential as the tourist that have come, have stayed!
    From her earlier posts I gather that they want to stay away from tourists and experience the real Dominican life.
    A social romantic approach so to speak...

m'frog

Last edited by mountainfrog; 08-20-2006 at 06:38 PM.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mountainfrog View Post
    From her earlier posts I gather that they want to stay away from tourists and experience the real Dominican life.
    A social romantic approach so to speak...

m'frog

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I have very young children and am moving from England to Sosua next month, purely initially because I have relatives living there. It does have prostitutes and sleazy bars, but I don't think it's unique in that respect! There are many expat families with children who live in the area and never come into contact with that side of things. I'm no expert on the DR but have learned a lot from people on this forum. I'm also planning to explore the country further when I arrive.

From your other posts I gather that you're financing yourself for a year and that you and your daughter are hoping to learn Spanish. I would've thought that your initial choice would be governed by how good your Spanish is at the moment. I understand why you'd want to live in a town that isn't touristy and experience the Dominican life, but if you can't speak Spanish at the moment then it could make your initial experience a hard one. It doesn't sound as if you have much experience of the DR. I would suggest that you come and live in an area where you initially have access to a bit of `expat support' and gradually `branch out' to other places when you've found your feet a bit. I'm no expert, it's just the way that I'm doing things because my Spanish isn't up to scratch.

Just as a matter of interest. Why the North Coast?

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

If you have not booked your flight yet why not take a two week "Package Tour" in one of the All Inclusives at Playa Dorada (or better still, Costa Dorada)? Then you can visit various places in that two week period & see what suits YOU best.

Puerto Plata is non touristy & has recently had a BIG extention to it's beache facilities. There are a number of areas where you could find fairly inexpensive apartments to live in. Whn you find one that suits you, only agree at first to a 3 month rental & extend that only when you are convinced the place is what you want for a year or two before buying!

We moved here from Buckinghamshire 14 years ago & have found it to be the best move we ever made. Puerto Plata is now our home & England is only somewhere we HAVE to visit once every 3 or 4 years!! There are some amusing articles around explaining the culture, planning problems & way of life here - if you want links to them let me know & I will forward them to you.

Judith
    Any involvement with RayLeeds from this board? If not, let me know & I will let him know of your interest - he is due here shortly to live & may be able to give you a few pointers. Nice guy who plays a MEAN game of golf!!

Sharlene & Gary B
    Where are you guys coming from in the UK? Mid life crises are not a bad thing Gary - I had one at age 45 & have not regretted my move over here at all. Mind you, I did not have children to worry about. Those who HAVE moved here with children at the same age as yours, seem to have had the kids settle in & integrate far better than the parents!! ~ Grahame.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sharlene View Post
    . I would suggest that you come and live in an area where you initially have access to a bit of `expat support' and gradually `branch out' to other places when you've found your feet a bit.
    Good advice but note 'a bit' of expat support. There are some areas where it would appear that there are more expats than locals.........!

If Judith is adventurous she may want to do it without expat support. When we moved here 14 years ago there weren't too many expats to turn to; don't think it ever did us any harm, just made the learning of some lessons somewhat rapid! As long as you have sufficient humility you can get along just fine with help from the indigenous population. And they will be very helpful.

On Vacation!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by judith30 View Post
    Thank You!
    Judith vist NAGUA its not a Tourist place there are nice school,s there my, step sons have moved to the UK from NAGUA they have been here 3 years all the best vince south wales

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast