Acceptance by DR Community

baby_g

Jul 29, 2006
I'm going to be starting school over in DR in September and i will be going to a Dominican School not the International School Of Sosua. I was wondering though, will i always be seen as a white tourist or will i be accepted into the community. I understand why the dominicans think of white girls the way they do, but will i always be labelled the same way!?
Thanx G.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
What way is that?

I'm curious as to what you think Dominicans think of white girls.

They do have white Dominicans there ;)

baby_g

Jul 29, 2006
well after reading posts on the DR1 forum it seemed like all white girls are seen as... well easy/gullible, because of all the tourist resorts and sankies ect!? am i wrong to think this... i hope i am lol!

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
well after reading posts on the DR1 forum it seemed like all white girls are seen as... well easy/gullible, because of all the tourist resorts and sankies ect!? am i wrong to think this... i hope i am lol!

Listen dear don't worry about the sankie crap. You aren't going to an AI for a week. People will treat you as you want to be treated. What that means is if you have respect for yourself and live your life like that people will have respect for you.

Tourist are out to have a good time and lots of drinking going on and they may have a whole different lifestyle back home but on a vacation they don't know anyone so they let loose.

However you live your life back home do the same and you'll be fine. ;)

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
As you look at a Dominican and see them as being different, they also see you that way.
Some you will see as being kool and some not, as they will also see you from the reverse perspective.
Some might be condescending if they don't like you, and some might think it's the greatest thing to have a gringa friend.

skyblue

Mar 20, 2006
some will try to take advantage of your disire to fit in if you are not careful (same as any other country not just DR). there are good people and bad people everywhere. USE COMMON SENSE. don't put yourself in a cituation where you could get into trouble. don't go out alone. don't mess with boyz - you are too young still. dominican boyz will try to hook up with you left and right and will tell you that you are the most beautiful woman in the world and that they love you (hours after knowing you). this behavior is normal to them, not to you. don't sleep around. make friends and don't try to buy them off. have them respect you for who you are and not b/c you have us dollars/pounds/euros in your pocket. it will be hard, but try not to drink until you are much older. don't let pier pressure ruin your life. you are young, enjoy the beaches, rivers, and all the country has to offer. if you respect yourself, those around you will respect you.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
some will try to take advantage of your disire to fit in if you are not careful (same as any other country not just DR). there are good people and bad people everywhere. USE COMMON SENSE. don't put yourself in a cituation where you could get into trouble. don't go out alone. don't mess with boyz - you are too young still. dominican boyz will try to hook up with you left and right and will tell you that you are the most beautiful woman in the world and that they love you (hours after knowing you). this behavior is normal to them, not to you. don't sleep around. make friends and don't try to buy them off. have them respect you for who you are and not b/c you have us dollars/pounds/euros in your pocket. it will be hard, but try not to drink until you are much older. don't let pier pressure ruin your life. you are young, enjoy the beaches, rivers, and all the country has to offer. if you respect yourself, those around you will respect you.
Excellent reply.
Words to live by.