Shark barrier in Sosua Bay?

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
I have been told by some locals that they thought there was a shark barrier (not sure if it's a net/wall or what) across the opening to Sosua Bay. Does anyone know if this is true?

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
Swimming in the reef areas should be perfectly safe. Sharks are most common in the deep water. I have not heard about a shark net. Canadian Bob.

skyblue

Mar 20, 2006
Swimming in the reef areas should be perfectly safe. Sharks are most common in the deep water. I have not heard about a shark net. Canadian Bob.

i've always heard the same thing. always been told that sharks cannot get in b/c of the reefs that block the way into the more shallow waters.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I know of divers who worked for dive shops in Sosua for 6 years, tell me they never saw a single shark around Sosua the entire time.
I am quite sure there is no net.
We just don't attract sharks.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Sure...
Some are not single but come with friends... :laugh:

What else do you expect them to say... :bunny:

m'frog
And I stand corrected, as I now remember that we've had visits from A Whale Shark, three different times, that I can remember.
Of course, a Whale Shark is, as the name suggests, friendly like a whale and eats like a whale.

skyblue

Mar 20, 2006
I know of divers who worked for dive shops in Sosua for 6 years, tell me they never saw a single shark around Sosua the entire time.
I am quite sure there is no net.
We just don't attract sharks.

i've never seen or heard of sharks in the area, but i did see, what looked like a lost whale/large dolphin off costambar beach 2 months ago. the whale/dolphin was about 100 yards away from the shore, where the reefs break the waves coming in from the deep ocean. it was dark in color, looked distressed, and kept coming in and out of the water. i thought it might have gotten lost or escaped from ocean world and got caught up in some reefs and couldn't find it's way out - not sure, but it was certainly a cool sight as i drove to samana a while back ago and there were no whales waiting for me there.

skyblue

Mar 20, 2006
And I stand corrected, as I now remember that we've had visits from A Whale Shark, three different times, that I can remember.
Of course, a Whale Shark is, as the name suggests, friendly like a whale and eats like a whale.

rocky, i didn't see this post before i replied, could this be the same type of whale i saw off costambar beach?

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
rocky, i didn't see this post before i replied, could this be the same type of whale i saw off costambar beach?
The Whalshark is part of the Shark family, although it eats and comports itself like a mellow whale.
Other than being spotted, the distinguishing feature that identifies it as a Shark and not a Whale, is the up & down tail (vertical), as opposed to Whales, that have left to right tails (horizontal)
whaleshark.jpg

whaleshark2.jpg

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
I've never heard of the net either. And while at it never heard of a shart attack in the DR.

skyblue

Mar 20, 2006
nope, not the one i saw - thank god, b/c i don't think i want to run into mr. whale shark - with all due respect ofcourse.

the one i saw was a lot slimmer, dark almost black, and came up out of the water in the motion of a dolphin (circular motion). the fin was very sharp unlike most dolphins that tend to round off at the tip, which is why i thought maybe whale. anyway, it was a nice scene.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I think you will find it's the steel nets they are using to grow coral.

A lot of effort right now is being put into regenerating the reef in Sosua bay.

I'll see if I can get some photos.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
nope, not the one i saw - thank god, b/c i don't think i want to run into mr. whale shark - with all due respect ofcourse.

the one i saw was a lot slimmer, dark almost black, and came up out of the water in the motion of a dolphin (circular motion). the fin was very sharp unlike most dolphins that tend to round off at the tip, which is why i thought maybe whale. anyway, it was a nice scene.
Dolphins and Porpoise both have the horizontal tails, and sharks, the vertical ones.
If you saw an actual shark in the region, you are one of the lucky few.
They are virtually unheard of around here.
BTW: The whalesharks are huge, sometimes around 30 feet.
Divers can approch them and even play with them.
I know of some divers who held on for the ride.
I have since then been told that human hand contact may be damaging to their skin, but do not have that confirmed.
One thing for sure, is that they are friendly and appear to enjoy human company.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I think you will find it's the steel nets they are using to grow coral.

A lot of effort right now is being put into regenerating the reef in Sosua bay.

I'll see if I can get some photos.
That would explain it.
Good to hear they are doing that.
I'm impressed.

skyblue

Mar 20, 2006
Dolphins and Porpoise both have the horizontal tails, and sharks, the vertical ones.
If you saw an actual shark in the region, you are one of the lucky few.
They are virtually unheard of around here.
BTW: The whalesharks are huge, sometimes around 30 feet.
Divers can approch them and even play with them.
I know of some divers who held on for the ride.
I have since then been told that human hand contact may be damaging to their skin, but do not have that confirmed.
One thing for sure, is that they are friendly and appear to enjoy human company.

i don't think i saw a shark, i think it was a dark dolphin since it was swimming like a dolphin. definately don't want to scare anyone into thinking it was a shark - nope, think it was a dolphin :cool:

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
I don't know why my answer was deleted

I have been told by some locals that they thought there was a shark barrier (not sure if it's a net/wall or what) across the opening to Sosua Bay. Does anyone know if this is true?
I may have started out with a little joke (Sorry if it offended anyone) but the bottom line was the answer the OP wanted. (No barriers). OK, back to the shark photos etc.

Werner

Feb 19, 2004
The last shark attack in the Dominican republic (registered) was in 1963.
If you run into a shark or whale, the whaleshark is the best option, Skyblue. ;)
The friendliest of them all I asure you.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004

Sharks may be most common in deep water, but the majority of attacks are in shallow water because that is where the people are. The Sosua reef probably is acting as a barrier because sharks normally will go wherever there is food (schools of fish). The majority of human attacks are to surfers and swimmers in relatively shallow water. For recent attacks in Florida see http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2005-06-28-after-shark_x.htm
One famous case in NJ occurred where a child was killed 2 miles inland where a shark had migrated up a tidal river.

hifiman

Jul 13, 2005
NJ attack

I read about that.It was a bull shark, they are the only shark known to be able to survive in both fresh and salt water. It is one of the nastiest if not the nastiest shark known to exist.
hifiman

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
The whale shark is harmless to humans

They feed on plankton and any diver can take a ride... harmless.

My longtime customers best friend's husband, swimming at dusk in a Tampa Bay channel..... was cut in half by a bull shark while she watched.:cry:

They are the ultimate murky water low-level predators... salt water or rivers.

My opinion of no shark attacks in the Dominican Republic is based on this theory. Maybe not reported to keep tourism? Or that the food chain is so rampant in deeper waters? But there has been more shark attacks that have been reported over the years.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
My opinion of no shark attacks in the Dominican Republic is based on this theory. Maybe not reported to keep tourism? Or that the food chain is so rampant in deeper waters? But there has been more shark attacks that have been reported over the years.
Not a chance.
We know so many divers in the region, there's no way they could cover that up.
Maybe a better theory is that the coast is laden with reefs that interfere with their easy access to the water's edge, where the swimmers are.