IT Job opportunities

garyB

Aug 20, 2006
Does anybody here work in the IT sector in DR? I am looking to relocate to DR but unfortuntaly do not have enough money sitting in the bank to just like on the beach till i die.

I am a computer professional having worked in the industry for almost 20 years.
I began as a hardware engineer working with all hardware from IBM 8086 clones right up to current Multiprocessor Servers.

I then moved my attentions over to software development and have mainly worked for the last 10 in software development (SQL,VB,C++ etc).

If you work in this area i would be grateful to hear what sort of opportunities exist in the DR.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
There are plenty of jobs, with more than enough Dominicans to fill them. IT jobs filled by Dominicans with Masters level education start around 20,000 pesos/month.

garyB

Aug 20, 2006
There are plenty of jobs, with more than enough Dominicans to fill them. IT jobs filled by Dominicans with Masters level education start around 20,000 pesos/month.

Thanks for the reply, so i guess im gonna have to find a new career.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
If your coming to the DR, yes.

It's all about networking here and knowing Spanish will help.

Good luck!

garyB

Aug 20, 2006
My Spanish is quite good and will hopefully improve further before i would arrive.
However the job front sounds scarier than i thought. I obviously did not expect to arrive on the island and be handed the MD's job at Microsoft DR but thought that i could find something relatively easily.
Again Thanks for your replies.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
My Spanish is quite good and will hopefully improve further before i would arrive.
However the job front sounds scarier than i thought. I obviously did not expect to arrive on the island and be handed the MD's job at Microsoft DR but thought that i could find something relatively easily.
Again Thanks for your replies.

This is a trap many fall into.

The DR is full of techs and wanna be network admins etc etc.
Prices are cheap, RD$20-30,000 (US$600-900) per month is a very good wage here.

shadInToronto

On Vacation....
Nov 16, 2003
Are you sure a zero isn't missing?

That's ~ US $700./month .... in Canada, a software developer with a Masters and between 15 - 20 years of experience would make ~$700. - $1,000./day as a consultant and ~$120,000. - $150,000 pa as a FTE with benefits. That's a significant disparity ... :surprised

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
That's ~ US $700./month .... in Canada, a software developer with a Masters and between 15 - 20 years of experience would make ~$700. - $1,000./day as a consultant and ~$120,000. - $150,000 pa as a FTE with benefits. That's a significant disparity ... :surprised
Shhh, maybe our IT guy won't notice.

Last edited:

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com

Nope, my numbers are correct. Maybe if you have been long term at a large company or bank it's different. But forget anything close to your numbers.

Welcome to the IT industry in the DR :)

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
Telecommuting options?

Do people telecommute from the DR (work for an outsourcing company or something of this kind)? I would love to work like that - sitting on the beach or near a pool like m'frog with my laptop:cool:

garyB

Aug 20, 2006
So if i understand correctly, the chances of me finding a job in the IT sector in DR are next to Nil, but if i do by some chance manage to network ( does this mean bribe ? ) with somebody in spanish i just maybe able to earn a pittance a month .

Only Joking, Thanks for your all your replies.
Has anybody been successful in getting a job in the IT sector ?

Cirilo

Mar 17, 2005
Yes you can be succesful in DR working in IT. You'll have to be imaginative and ready to change completly your life. But it's possible. Working as a freelance / consultant for foreign companies can be a solution. This is how I started 5 years ago, then I got so busy that I had to set up a company and get other freelancers to work with me. If you are not ready for this adventure, you can still try to knock on the door of big consulting companies like PWC where you can have very good wages, almost similar to what you can get in USA or Europe. Good luck !

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Yes you can be succesful in DR working in IT. You'll have to be imaginative and ready to change completly your life. But it's possible. Working as a freelance / consultant for foreign companies can be a solution. This is how I started 5 years ago, then I got so busy that I had to set up a company and get other freelancers to work with me. If you are not ready for this adventure, you can still try to knock on the door of big consulting companies like PWC where you can have very good wages, almost similar to what you can get in USA or Europe. Good luck !

Tell us more!

We have only heard bad things in comparison to the USA, Europe etc.
Respond as if we are prospective clients, you never know who's reading DR1.

Yes, I know people that are doing well in IT here, took the same route, started and own their own business.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
So if i understand correctly, the chances of me finding a job in the IT sector in DR are next to Nil, but if i do by some chance manage to network ( does this mean bribe ? ) with somebody in spanish i just maybe able to earn a pittance a month .

Only Joking, Thanks for your all your replies.
Has anybody been successful in getting a job in the IT sector ?

Network: Get to know a lot of people, make them aware oh who you are and what you do etc.

As another poster said.... You will be better off starting on your own if you can afford to do that and have the time to build a business here.

Owning and running a business in the DR, is no walk in the park.
Plenty of threads about that :)

Cirilo

Mar 17, 2005
Well I cannot tell much more regarding consulting companies, I have passed interviews some years ago and at this time the wage they offered were a little bit lower that what you can expect in Europe or USA, but it was more than enough to have a good life in DR. The only bad thing is that you have to wear a suit and a tie, and it was not my thing.

I prefered the 'short & tee shirt attitude' and to have my feet in the sand, hooked up to internet through my wireless network and no boss to bother me ;-) And yes, this is possible ! But once again, this is my choice and some people would prefer to work differently. As for my personal experience, networking is of course a great thing, but don't limit it to DR. Sometimes you have to push your luck, and if you are good in what you do, you'll see that your network will increase naturally... Hope it can help you !