Cost of living

Otter

Nov 20, 2005
I searched old forums and could not find anything so here I go...
I am curious what it costs monthly to live in the DR. I know, there are a lot of factors and it is different for everyone, but let's see if we can narrow it down.
Area: Cabarete
Tranportation: Have a car, but would need insurance + fuel.
Housing: Clean and comfortable by "Euro/American" standards apartment or house 2bed + 2bath. Cable, internet, telephone/cell phone, maid service a couple days a week and anything that I may just be overlooking that is obvious. ; )
Food/Dining: Eating in town a few nights a week, some beers to go with it and then your normal weekly grocery shopping for 2 people.
I am sure there are things missing, please fill in the blanks where you see it obvious. (I can only imagine what the fill in will be)
To some this may seem like a kings wish and to others a life not worth living. I am just trying to describe something similar to my life as it is now. So any suggestions would help me make some assumptions based on fact and not a guess.
Thanks in advance for your input.
Otter

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
There is a bit of a learning curve in using the search function here. This has been a much discussed topic. One example:

http://dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48392&highlight=Cost+living

Click on "search", then "advanced search", then search in TITLES OF THREADS and type in "cost of living" or similar key word combinations. You'll get enough to keep you occupied for a while.

My first thought is that Cabarete is one of the most expensive places in the DR to live.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
I am just trying to describe something similar to my life as it is now

You cannot reporduce your life as it is now in the DR. That is why many of us are relocating there.

Bob K

Otter

Nov 20, 2005
Thanks

Sweetdbt,
Thanks for the info.

Bob, I used the word "similar" not reproduce. I am certain that you are not living on a dirt floor and eating La Bandera everyday no more than I am looking for a castle with a moat.
Cheers
Otter

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Depends

...I live in California.
OK, I took Palm Springs (don't know why) and S.D.
The result was, that you would want to earn approx. 17 % more here to maintain the same standard of living (If I understood everything correctly).

Of course: different cities, different numbers.
With Cabarete, as said before, being touristy, you're are not looking at a cheap place.
Once you've settled in, you'll know where to shop, eat out and not be overcharged for your beers...
I for one think, that life here (given, that you are not willing to lower your standards) is about 20 % more costly than Germany... but then, Germany is not California... ;)

m'frog

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I have found, in general, anything labor intensive is much less expensive, anything material intensive (or imported) is more expensive.

It is not THAT much less expensive to live in the DR at the same standard as most areas of the US. But what's the point of living in the DR like in the US?

Once upon a time, the DR was a bargain. I don't see that being the case anymore.

skyblue

Mar 20, 2006
I have found, in general, anything labor intensive is much less expensive, anything material intensive (or imported) is more expensive.

It is not THAT much less expensive to live in the DR at the same standard as most areas of the US. But what's the point of living in the DR like in the US?

Once upon a time, the DR was a bargain. I don't see that being the case anymore.

yes, you are right, things are not how they used to be.
many years ago you could live very well in Dr for very little, not so anymore. i think you need a good steady income stream or an already existant nest egg to survive in DR. if you are thinking about getting a job in DR to support yourself and your expenses, forget it.

Otter

Nov 20, 2005
Comparison

I have to admit that I was not thinking 20% more. If anything, I was thinking 20% less. That means most people in coastal California or many parts of Europe would be shelling out nearly $6000 US per month. Better re-think this and head to Venice, Italy instead. A little comparison from US pricing and this is conservative.
Mortgage $ 2000
Property tax/Assoc. $500
Cable TV $ 60
Internet $ 50
Telephone $ 50
Cell Phone $ 60
food $500 includes a couple simple dinners out
Car Insurance $80
Home insurance $95
Medical Insurance $ 800 (self employed in US)
Water/Trash $ 30
Electric/Gas $65
A domestic beer at the bar $ 2.75 Import like President $3.50
No car payments, entertainment, clothes or all the extra bills that end up in your mailbox included here. If you have been on the island for awhile these numbers may make you want to stay where you are. Not sure.

skyblue

Mar 20, 2006
I have to admit that I was not thinking 20% more. If anything, I was thinking 20% less. That means most people in coastal California or many parts of Europe would be shelling out nearly $6000 US per month. Better re-think this and head to Venice, Italy instead. A little comparison from US pricing and this is conservative.
Mortgage $ 2000
Property tax/Assoc. $500
Cable TV $ 60
Internet $ 50
Telephone $ 50
Cell Phone $ 60
food $500 includes a couple simple dinners out
Car Insurance $80
Home insurance $95
Medical Insurance $ 800 (self employed in US)
Water/Trash $ 30
Electric/Gas $65
A domestic beer at the bar $ 2.75 Import like President $3.50
No car payments, entertainment, clothes or all the extra bills that end up in your mailbox included here. If you have been on the island for awhile these numbers may make you want to stay where you are. Not sure.

these are prices where?

Otter

Nov 20, 2005
These would be prices in most metroplolitan areas of the states.
Again, this is rough and I feel conservative...

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Good Old Days

...I was not thinking 20% more. If anything, I was thinking 20% less. That means most people in coastal California or many parts of Europe would be shelling out nearly $6000 US per month. Better re-think this and head to Venice, Italy instead.

If you have 6,000 US$/month available, 20% less do not matter. ;)

Even at 4,800 US$ you would live very comfortably here.

A few years ago maybe only 1,500 would have been sufficient, but those days are gone...

m'frog

Otter

Nov 20, 2005
So if you owned a place there already you may be able to do fine, at the moment, on $3,500 US per month? If I could get the numbers between $3000-$3,500 I would feel good about a year stay.
Thanks to Mfrog and others for the input. Never heard back from Bob...
Probably doing Siesta on his dirt floor with a tummy full of Mangu.
Just jiving ya Bob...
Otter

Otter

Nov 20, 2005
Already a minor victim of the bottle and will have to ask my wife if I can have a girlfriend.
;)
Cheers Mfrog
Otter

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
May I?

Already a minor victim of the bottle and will have to ask my wife if I can have a girlfriend.
;)
Cheers Mfrog
Otter

Careful Don Otter.
About 69 (!) % of the expats' wives fall prey to local sankies...
Hope, she'll ask you for permission, though. :pirate:

m'frog
(retiring into the pool NOW)

Otter

Nov 20, 2005
Step out the back Jack,
Make a new plan Stan,
You don't need to coy Roy,
Just find a Sankieeee!