Bananas?

jcarn

Jun 28, 2004
taken from www.wikipedia.org:

bananas contain tryptophan which, when ingested, increases levels of serotonin in the body (the same effect as Prozac). This can lead to various mood-altering effects (Leathwood and Pollet, 1982) including a reduction in depression (Sainio et al., 1996). As well, Xiao et al. (1998) found that eating just two bananas a day for three days increased levels of serotonin in the blood by 16%. However, there is no mention in the literature of tryptophan having any hallucinogenic effects; it has, in fact, been used to reduce hallucinations in patients with mental disorders (Sainio et al., 1996).

hmmm....... arent bananas a staple of the typical dominican diet? ;)

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
taken from www.wikipedia.org:

bananas contain tryptophan which, when ingested, increases levels of serotonin in the body (the same effect as Prozac). This can lead to various mood-altering effects (Leathwood and Pollet, 1982) including a reduction in depression (Sainio et al., 1996). As well, Xiao et al. (1998) found that eating just two bananas a day for three days increased levels of serotonin in the blood by 16%. However, there is no mention in the literature of tryptophan having any hallucinogenic effects; it has, in fact, been used to reduce hallucinations in patients with mental disorders (Sainio et al., 1996).

hmmm....... arent bananas a staple of the typical dominican diet? ;)
Yes, but they also eat Plantain aka Platanos aka Vita Bruto, well known to clog up one's brain and make you dumber than a stump.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Now, now....plantains also have minute quantities of iron, lots of potassium (Yeah, I know, I got confused!!:p) and other vitamins....Just because the Dominicans call it "brutaina" is no reason to denegrate the staple....tsk, tsk..:ermm:

I have heard that smoking dried banana peels will give you a high, but it certainly isn't very popular...

Archie Moore, the wonderful Light-Heavyweight Champ that came within a 1/2 inch of decapitating Rocky Marciano used to use bananas to lose weight before a fight.

Bananas, they are a "perfect fruit"....Word!

HB

Last edited: