Backpacking through DR

bhisgen

Aug 12, 2006
I am Coming to DR on Thursday and I wanted to inquire if anyone has insight/ experience on backpacking through the country. For example, Can I pitch a hammock on the beaches, are there any hostels to stay at?etc. etc. I am on a serious shoestring budget. Thanks fellow travelers for advise!

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
You can pitch a hammock on the beach, but not for the night.
That would be inviting crime.
Hostels are virtually nonexistent, as there are so many cheap places to stay.
Often refered to as "habitaciones".
Depending on where you are, you can find rooms/hotels for the night from $7 to $20 US.

bhisgen

Aug 12, 2006
would someone really mess with me? I'm a fairly big guy...irregardless I wouldn't want to be blatantly, stupidly unsafe but if I'm just minding my own business and I pretty much sleep with my pack (its a pretty big hammock...made for two) would I be insane??? also what is the "rough guide"??? Thanks for your guys help!

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
You can find a room for 500 Pesos a night without mosquitos or pay a watchiman to "watch" you sleep on the beach for a little less.

bhisgen

Aug 12, 2006
alright that's pretty amazing! So can I ask has anyone compiled a list of the best good and cheap hotels? I want to go from Santa Domingo to Boca Chica, La Romania, Punta Cana, Samana , then North Coast, then Jarabacoa . Do I sound like a tourist with an internet connection to DR1 or what?

G

gary short

alright that's pretty amazing! So can I ask has anyone compiled a list of the best good and cheap hotels? I want to go from Santa Domingo to Boca Chica, La Romania, Punta Cana, Samana , then North Coast, then Jarabacoa . Do I sound like a tourist with an internet connection to DR1 or what?

Get a lonely planet guide to the D.R...........magically all your questions will be answered...

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
would someone really mess with me? I'm a fairly big guy...irregardless I wouldn't want to be blatantly, stupidly unsafe but if I'm just minding my own business and I pretty much sleep with my pack (its a pretty big hammock...made for two) would I be insane??? also what is the "rough guide"??? Thanks for your guys help!

The Rough Guides are more or less the same as the Lonely Planet Guides. Both pretty much cover the whole planet and mostly have pretty similar information. I personally think for the Dominican Republic the Rough Guide is a bit better for backpacking than the Lonely Planet, more info to plan your own trips. But go to a good bookstore and make your own comparison. You'll find a list of hotels in them, and if you wonder about a particular hotel, people here will have experiences to share.