Buying a car -or- paying for a car

jackieboo

On Vaction without a return ticket!
Mar 18, 2006
I have a question about how to actually purchase a car. I presume I will be buying the car from a dealership of some sort.

After I negociate the price of the car here are the questions:

1) Do I just write a check off of my Peso account or do I need to have some sort of 'certified check' written by the bank?

2) I understand that there's a lawyer involved somewhere. Where in the process does the lawyer come in?

3) Car insurance. Any suggestions? Do I get the insurance before buying the car or after?

I know the procedure here in the North America, but not sure what to do there. I'll be there in a couple of weeks and plan to buy a car shortly after. Marco, watch out, I am going to take you up on the lift to Moca this time and buy you that lunch and 10 cases of Presidente.

Later,
Jack

skyblue

Mar 20, 2006
I have a question about how to actually purchase a car. I presume I will be buying the car from a dealership of some sort.

After I negociate the price of the car here are the questions:

1) Do I just write a check off of my Peso account or do I need to have some sort of 'certified check' written by the bank?

2) I understand that there's a lawyer involved somewhere. Where in the process does the lawyer come in?

3) Car insurance. Any suggestions? Do I get the insurance before buying the car or after?

I know the procedure here in the North America, but not sure what to do there. I'll be there in a couple of weeks and plan to buy a car shortly after. Marco, watch out, I am going to take you up on the lift to Moca this time and buy you that lunch and 10 cases of Presidente.

Later,
Jack

this part will be a nightmare. cars are very expensive. have you started to look? do you speak spanish?

jackieboo

On Vaction without a return ticket!
Mar 18, 2006
I've started looking. I've gone to super-carros.com and have looked around at what they have to offer.

I had a very nice offer from Marco to go to Moca and check out the place where he buys his cars and hope to take him up on the offer.

As far as what we're looking for; doesn't need to be new, but needs to be pratical. We're probably going to go with a Japanese car as they seem to be the most practical and the most servicable.

Any stories or advise about the buying process would be greatly appriciated.

And yes I speak enough Spanish to negociate a car deal.

Jack

skyblue

Mar 20, 2006
I've started looking. I've gone to super-carros.com and have looked around at what they have to offer.

I had a very nice offer from Marco to go to Moca and check out the place where he buys his cars and hope to take him up on the offer.

As far as what we're looking for; doesn't need to be new, but needs to be pratical. We're probably going to go with a Japanese car as they seem to be the most practical and the most servicable.

Any stories or advise about the buying process would be greatly appriciated.

And yes I speak enough Spanish to negociate a car deal.

Jack

take your friends offer. you need all the help you can get. great idea to stick to japanese cars as you will always find parts for them in DR. buying a car in DR is a mission and a half so it will be best if someone goes with you and shows you the ropes. it's very easy to get taken advantage of in dr so be careful. you might also want to consider waiting. a lot of people don't have cars in DR. if this is not an option then just proceed with caution. good luck

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Four Wheels

1. A personal check is all right.
You'll not be given the 'matricula' until the payment is received in full.
2. The sales contract is normally done by a lawyer (unless bought at a dealer's).
3. Afterwards

m'frog

Last edited:

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Just like you make sure you have a clear title when buying a house, make sure you run the VIN number through CarFax.com. If it's imported from the USA, it will give you it's history, accidents etc. It's a free service and you only have to pay US$20 to see the report if the car has problems.

I have seen so many chopped cars here. They look good, but eat tires, dangerous in accidents and have long term problems. It's just not worth it, regardless of how good the car looks on the surface. Also, ignore what most mechanics here tell you, most have no clue, just walk into any shop here and take a look around.

Post I wrote about this:
http://www.dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31810

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
If you are buying from a dealer, they would not release the car until the personal check cleared.
There is no lawyer involved, unless you are buying from a private individual.
The dealership would do the transfer for you, if you pay them to do so.
I can't speak for all the dealers, but that's how I do it with Espaillat.
In their case, as they know me well, they lend me the car for one day.
The following day if the person wants to buy the car, he needs 50% down, and the other 50% within 30 days, interest free, unless you want to go the Dominican finance plan, which is not recommended.
They would accept cash, credit cards, or certified checks.
I hope this helps clear it up.

El Diego

Apr 24, 2006
Just like you make sure you have a clear title when buying a house, make sure you run the VIN number through CarFax.com. If it's imported from the USA, it will give you it's history, accidents etc. It's a free service and you only have to pay US$20 to see the report if the car has problems.

I have seen so many chopped cars here. They look good, but eat tires, dangerous in accidents and have long term problems. It's just not worth it, regardless of how good the car looks on the surface. Also, ignore what most mechanics here tell you, most have no clue, just walk into any shop here and take a look around.

Post I wrote about this:
http://www.dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31810

Robert,
i noticed on that thread in may '04 you were looking to get a rav4,,,
were you able to get a nice, decent conditioned rav4 back then?
I might be interested maybe in buying a rav4. just want to hear your experience if you did get a rav4.

If VIN does not come up in carfax.com, that would mean that car did not come from US, right? I know even if car was in usa and never reported accidents, the car still needs to show it came from usa b/c of inspection and b/c original dealer should report it as new.

also, about 1 yr or so i went to car dealer in santiago.. the sticker said 2002 but i checked the vin the year built was 2001,,,, so a good thing for everyone to know is how to read a vin.

to read vin:

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/vin.html

Last edited:

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I ended up buying a Nissan Pathfinder. One I had access to the full service history and checked out 100% ok.

I must have looked at 8-10 late model RAV4's and they all had problems.
I ponted out the CarFax report to one dealer and he said is was BS, what an idiot! Most Dominicans when buying cars do not run the VIN, hence the place is full of chopped and junked cars/jeeps.

If the car is imported from Europe or Asia, it will not show in CarFax.

Spyderdiaz

Jul 15, 2005
US Citizen buying a car in DR

Can I purchase a car in the Dominican Republic although I don't live there and only have a US drivers license? If so, can I insure it in my name also?

Any information/recommendation you can give me would definitely be appreciated!!!

Spyderdiaz

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
Jackieboo, once you have agreed on the price, if YOU go to your bank and get a certified check, it will cost next to nothing and save you many hours of waiting for the dealer to go to your bank and get the funds, and deposit them in his bank, and then come back to give the car to you.

On insurance, if you get to know an insurance broker BEFORE you go to buy a car, then once you find the car for you, you can simply call the broker, give them the vehicle details, and they will issue you a temporary insurance coverage, and then you can drive to them to make your payment, and still be insured as you are driving.

In the DR, a Japanese vehicle is generally better, because of the parts and service availability. that doesn't mean though, that the car was actually built in Japan. Mitsubishis are built in Brazil for the DR market. Other companies may do the same.

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Acting for you

...Can I purchase a car in the Dominican Republic although I don't live there and only have a US drivers license? If so, can I insure it in my name also?

Yes twice.
You only need someone to do everything for you.
This person should have a copy of your passport or other identity.
A paper giving power of attorney would also help.

And the money of course... ;)

m'frog

Spyderdiaz

Jul 15, 2005
US Citizen buying a Car in DR

Yes twice.
You only need someone to do everything for you.
This person should have a copy of your passport or other identity.
A paper giving power of attorney would also help.

And the money of course... ;)

m'frog

I will be there to purchase it myself. I don't want to give anyone power of attorney because that means I'm giving them all rights/decisions to this vehicle which is what I don't want to do....right???