Comparona

Status
Not open for further replies.

cuas

May 29, 2006
sometimes when you mind your own business you are called comparona. if you do not talk to the tigueres del barrio you are called comparona.
it is not only one definition

May 31, 2005
sometimes when you mind your own business you are called comparona. if you do not talk to the tigueres del barrio you are called comparona.
it is not only one definition

Exactly. That is why it is when you think you are better than everyone else and like Miguel said, a show off. Also MAR said a key word: conceited.

We can come up with many examples why someone would be called a comparona.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
a first time american guy who shows off in the disco buying drinks for every chica he sees.....comparona ? i see them all the time.....

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
a first time american guy who shows off in the disco buying drinks for every chica he sees.....comparona ? i see them all the time.....

That first time american guy would need a sex change to be a comparona.lol:eek:

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Spanish/English Equivalents-

Perhaps the meaning of this word may not be clear because of its uniqueness in the sense that it's a true Dominicanismo. More generic terms in Spanish include: presumido/a, engreído/a, and fanfarrón/a. These are the equivalents that I would give if asked for an equivalent meaning of comparón/comparona. It is not even registered in the dictionary but the synonyms I listed should clearly convey the meaning combined with the various meanings already provided in the thread.

'a show off'- presumida, fanfarrona
'conceited'- engreída
'one who thinks that s/he is better than everyone else'- presumida

In my opinion these three examples are the best thus far in the thread and the English equivalent meaning should suffice to explain how it would be used.

An additional grammar point:
Just on a side note for those of you who may be interested in morphology (word formation). 'Comparón' is a classic example of how the meaning can be deciphered if you understand the components of the word. Compar- ón. The suffix -ón added to the root of a word has several meanings in Spanish and one of them is to denote a character trait of a person. Other examples: llorón, criticón, mandón etc.

-LDG.

What are some of these examples?

bonao99

Jun 11, 2005
Comparar=compare

I've always thought that comparona was somebody that like to compare
to somebody better.

Bonao99

Status
Not open for further replies.