Noise Reduction?

B

batich

Motoconcho?

Much more noise polution is caused by motoconchos. But I cannot see any practical way of fighting this national and cultural phenom.

skyblue

Mar 20, 2006
how about they worry about corruption amoung themselves:rambo:
to me it's all hype - they just want to extort foreign business owners. this will turn into the dominican mafia soon.:chinese:

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
I guess we both missed it. In addition, I'm trying to figure out where the smiley-face selection came from.;)

The CHINESE mafia?

skyblue

Mar 20, 2006
I have a hard time understanding how you get from noise pollution to extorting foreign business owners. Yes, I think I'm slow today, but the connection escapes me ... :laugh::laugh:

closing noisy entertaimnet centers is not the solution to the problem, it's a way to get the business owners to pay them more money in bribes ultimately.

cracking down on noisy cars will allow them to take the cars away from the people driving them along with the equipment that they will now own (worth lots of $$$). the politicians/government officials that took the noisy cars away from the people, will now have them in their hands to use during their next election to get re elected, by parading those same noisy cars thru our streets and neighborhoods.:pirate: it's a all a vicious circle. supposing they don't take the cars away and just fine them, then they will be paid in cash and pocket the money. ;) sorry just rambling again. tough morning.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
how about they worry about corruption amoung themselves:rambo:
to me it's all hype - they just want to extort foreign business owners. this will turn into the dominican mafia soon.:chinese:

Either you live in the DR and are mad because you have to go home early, or you know nothing about noise abuse in the DR. I think that Leonel is on the right track in closing bars early and significantly reducing the volume of the noise that surrounds those of us who live in the DR and still have our ear drums intact.

Saying it is a measure to force foreign businessmen to pay bribes is the kind of talk that you hear in the bar after people have a few under the belt.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Either you live in the DR and are mad because you have to go home early, or you know nothing about noise abuse in the DR. I think that Leonel is on the right track in closing bars early and significantly reducing the volume of the noise that surrounds those of us who live in the DR and still have our ear drums intact.

Saying it is a measure to force foreign businessmen to pay bribes is the kind of talk that you hear in the bar after people have a few under the belt.

I agree. It appears to me that Leonel has taken his anti-crime campaign from plan that turned around crime in NYC. By enforcing "quality of life" ordinances, they removed the cover that the hardened criminals operated under. Remove the 9 drunken loiterers from the street and the 10th guy who is dealing drugs will stand out.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
When I used to describe the DR in one word, I'd use "noisy".

Now what will I use? ;)

Putting a moratorium on 2-cycle motos would do wonders for both noise AND pollution.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Now what will I use? ;) QUOTE]

We're definitely in the middle of a social revolution here.............;) on the Malecon in Puerto Plata near Cosita Rica there are now two public portaloos based on the sidewalk. So the other descriptive phrase about taking public leaks could also become a thing of the past..........if people use them, that is.

No cars with strength 10 music, no public peeing.............:confused:

And yes, sweetdbt, the Chinese mafia could be bang up to date. Read Clave Digital - Haitian consul in Barahona was expelled for selling visas to Chinese immigrants.........

http://www.clavedigital.com/Portada/Articulo.asp?Id_Articulo=8058

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Now what will I use? ;) QUOTE]
on the Malecon in Puerto Plata near Cosita Rica there are now two public portaloos based on the sidewalk. So the other descriptive phrase about taking public leaks could also become a thing of the past..........if people use them, that is.

I hope people don't think they are supposed to pee on the outside walls ;)

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
I can definitely understand not allowing loud music in residential areas after certain hours. In business/bar areas noise is to be expected and if you live on top of a bar or disco you knew you would be subject to loud music while the place is open. As far as normal neighborhoods sure people should be to have parties and such in their yards during the daytime but it is normal to want some piece and quiet while trying to sleep in your house.

Concerning air pollution and physical pollution (garbage) it would be great if they could get a handle on it as the fumes of motos and cars is definitely a problem in certain areas but good luck fixing that anytime soon. It will take years of more legislation and enforcement to cut back on that.

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
I think is a great idea.

One night when I was out in Santiago, sitting at this bar, plenty of cars drove by with music BLARING!!!! you can't imagine, only if you have been to Washington Heights about 10 years ago when guys would drive around in this manner you would know what its like.

People, just imagine, those that live near the Monumento area and have to deal with this shyt, there has tobe some kind of control. You have the music from the establishment blaring plus people in the cars pumping this stuff as loud as you can imagine.

I think is the beginning of a beautiful country, the major cities in the DR are growing at a rapid rate and something needs to be done.

Last time I was in Santiago there were a few apartment buildings, now there are hundreds of them all over, the city is growing and fast.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
As was intimated before, we could be witnessing a sort of social revolution when it comes to "quality of life" issues in the DR. If this experiment works the nation would make a giant step towards a civil society.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
If it wasn't illegal to drink after midnight I'd go out and buy a cold beer personally for every Dominican cop who pulls over and tickets a vehicle for blaring the stereo too loud.

They intentionally design those things so the people outside the vehicle can hear it louder than the people inside to be intentionally annoying.

"look at the bigass stereo I bough with my mommy and daddy's money"

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
what about the people with PA systems outside the vehicle screaming crap at you to buy stuff as they drive down the road. I remember being woke up to that at 7am one morning. I was ****ed! By the time I grabbed something to throw out the window at him he was all the way down the road.