What about Malaria

A

Ariel

I've heard about cases of malaria. Can anybody tell me if i have to take any vaccine for that. What is the real situation in Punta Cana? Any chances of getting malaria or dengue?

J

J

I just spoke to the Texas State Health Dept in Austin, Texas last week. I spoke to the man who is over the epidemiology and travel dept (and he has been for 20 + years). He said the Dept of Health and the CDC are usually very conservative. However, there have been reports in the past few months of European travelers becoming infected with Malaria. These people were staying at resorts also, not even close to the Haiti border. So now they are suggesting that you take Chloroquine (Aralen). This is a prescription you will have to get from your medical doctor. You need to start taking it one week before you go. They also say you need to get an updated Tetanus shot and a Hepatitis A shot. We are going to the DR and got our shots today!

E

ECH, M.D.

There seems to be an abnormal fear about Malaria. I have obtained this up to date information from the CDC (Centers for Disease Control)Atlanta and hope it will answer questions and dispell fears.

MALARIA: Transmission and Symptoms Malaria is a serious disease that is transmitted to humans by the bite of an infected female Anopheles mosquito. Symptoms may include fever and flu-like illness, including chills, headache, muscle aches, and fatigue. Malaria may cause anemia and jaundice. P. falciparum infections, if not promptly treated, may cause kidney failure, coma, and death. Malaria can often be prevented by using antimalarial drugs and by using personal protection measures to prevent mosquito bites. However, in spite of all protective measures, travelers may still develop malaria. Travelers who become ill with a fever or flu-like illness while traveling in a malaria risk area and up to one year after returning home should seek prompt medical attention and should tell the physician their travel history.

Malaria Risk by Country Haiti: All areas. Dominican Republic: Rural areas with highest risk in provinces bordering Haiti. No risk in resorts with the exception of those in the Altagracia Province, (particularly in the Bavaro Beach area), in the southeastern part of the country. There is no risk for malaria on the other islands.

Prevention Chloroquine / brand name Aralen ? is the drug of choice for travelers to risk areas. Directions for use ? The adult dosage is 500 mg (salt) chloroquine phosphate. ? Take the first dose of chloroquine 1 week before arrival in the malaria-risk area. ? Take chloroquine once a week while in the malaria-risk area. ? Take chloroquine once a week for 4 weeks after leaving the malaria-risk area. ? Chloroquine should be taken on a full stomach to lessen nausea. Chloroquine side effects Although side effects are rare, nausea and vomiting, headache, dizziness, blurred vision, and itching can occur. Chloroquine may worsen the symptoms of psoriasis. Preventing Insect Bites Protect yourself from mosquito bites. Prevent mosquito bites by wearing long-sleeved shirts and long pants; apply insect repellent to exposed skin. Mosquitoes that transmit malaria bite between dusk and dawn. Use insect repellents that contain DEET. When using repellent with DEET, follow these precautions ? Always use according to label directions. ? Use only when outdoors and wash skin after coming indoors. ? Do not breathe in, swallow, or get into the eyes. ? Do not put on wounds or broken skin. ? Use a concentration of 30% to 35%. Spray living areas and sleeping areas with an insecticide to kill mosquitoes. If not sleeping in well-screened or air-conditioned housing, use a mosquito bed net. For greater protection, spray clothing with and soak bed nets in the insecticide permethrin. Permethrin will repel insects for several months. Portable mosquito bed nets, repellents containing DEET, and permethrin should be purchased before traveling and can be found in hardware, camping, and military surplus stores. For more travel health information: ? View CDC?s website on the Internet- <A HREF="http://www.cdc.gov/travel">http://www.cdc.gov/travel</A>/ ? Call CDC?s toll free voice information system at 888-232-3228 ? Order a copy of the CDC booklet Health Information for International Travel by calling the Superintendent of Documents, U.S. Government Printing Office, Washington D.C. at 202-512-1800