Adoption

On Vacation!
Feb 18, 2005
Hello I have recently married a Dominican lady we have been together for over 2 years and have built a house on the north coast. She has a young daughter that i would like to adopt so we can apply for papers to move back to Canada. How should i go about this.
Thank you

Rick

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Hello I have recently married a Dominican lady we have been together for over 2 years and have built a house on the north coast. She has a young daughter that i would like to adopt so we can apply for papers to move back to Canada. How should i go about this.
Thank you

Rick
Rick, I'm fairly certain you don't need to adopt your step-daughter to have her come to Canada with her mother.

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Rick:

My advise is to contact your Canadian Embassy about the possibility of taking your "step-daughter" back to that country and ask what the requirements are for entry and eventual Canadian Citizenship for Wife and Step-child.
You would probably need Dominican passports for both your wife and your step-daughter with the equivilent of a "Green Card" Visa for both if you intend to apply for Citizenship for both, once back in Canada.
That's the way the US law reads, not sure about Canadian Law, but would certainly check it out with the Embassy first.
Saves a lot of head/heart-ache later on if you do it that way.

Texas Bill

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
Private adoptions are no longer possible under the new adoption statute. The process for a couple wishing to adopt a child related to them is the same as for adopting an unknown child.

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Adoption in Progress(??)

Sr. Guzman;

I applied to adopt my wife's three sons over a year ago. To date we have complied with all requrements and have been waiting for the Agency (Dominican Gov.) to contact us for the final interview for over 3 months. Thats thalast timewe visited the Agency in Santo Domingo.
Isthaere any way to find out when that interview is/will be scheduled and the process can be completed. This has been going on for over two years as of now. What can be doneto get them off their collective A$$es and act?
Would a phone call to the Agency be appropriate? And what is the phone number of the Jefe, along with his name. I assume he will be able to converse in English.

Texas Bill

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Thank you

Rick

If the father(sperm donor) is not on the girls birth certificate ie "father unknown" This makes things a little easier because then the child is your wife's only. You can apply to have then both come to Canada with you as landed immigrants. As long as there are no medical issues...etc, the process takes approx 8 months to a year. You have to prove that you can support them in Canada and you prove that with your last years income. The application explains everything you need and what level of income...etc. My wife and stepson have been in Canada for 6 years, and we brought my mother-in-law up last year.