Aristy's visa revoked

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
I read this in todays DR1 News. Does anyone know why Aristy's visa was revoked?

Aristy: I have no regrets
Secretary General of the Dominican Municipal League and PRSC leader Amable Aristy Castro thanked PRD president Ramon Alburquerque for his solidarity in the case of the US Embassy announcing the cancellation of Aristy's non-immigrant visa. Alburquerque had warned that the morals and innocence of any Dominican citizen must be preserved because when public figures are accused without sufficient proof, democracy is affected. In a letter to Alburquerque, a copy of which is on file at El Caribe, Aristy Castro states that he has nothing to regret.
Meanwhile, Listin Diario reports that PRSC president Federico Antun Batlle and the Mayor of Santiago, Jose Enrique Sued, have asked the United States Consulate to explain their reasons for revoking Aristy's visa. One of the most influential men in the eastern part of the country, Aristy has expressed his interest in running for President on the PRSC ticket. Aristy's daughter is the major of Higuey.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
When this was first reported a couple of weeks ago, the US Consulate's decision was said to be linked to the fact that Aristy Castro had been mentioned in connection with the false official passport scandal that broke several months ago, even though he was not one of the named suspects.

Tordok

Bronze
Oct 6, 2003
Does this guy have any relation to the Trujillo Era Cabinet Secretary Ramon Marreno Aristy?

I don't know to which degree of relation, but Marrero Aristy was born in San Rafael de Yuma, Higuey and this dad-daughter Aristy political duo is certainly from Higuey.

BTW, Marrero Aristy was much more than just a Trujillo cabinet member. He was also an author of works of fiction, including "Over" which for years has been standard reading material in DOminican schools. He had been a labor movement organizer but soon was entrapped by the corrupt charm of Trujillo, for whom he worked on several high profile roles before "falling into disgrace" with the old chief, who had him die in a car " accident".

- Tordok

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
From this article today I surmise that his problems with his US visa will not effect him being the next president of the DR in 2008.

Rick

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Rick it seems that the reason for the visa's revocation is still a bit muddled. Any up to date info of the " real reason" why the US took this step.

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
The first article from this and this archived DR1 new is interesting for those that may be interested in past history. As too is this CNN news in review and another here. They all geal with Aristy.

Nal?s you might be interested in this.

Try as I might I can?t find anything from the State Department or the embassy concerning his visa. I think we will have to wait and see if anything is forth coming.

Rick

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
The first article from this and this archived DR1 new is interesting for those that may be interested in past history. As too is this CNN news in review and another here. They all geal with Aristy.

Nal?s you might be interested in this.

Try as I might I can?t find anything from the State Department or the embassy concerning his visa. I think we will have to wait and see if anything is forth coming.

Rick

Interesting articles. I believe in the first link (DR1 archives) it was stated that one of the requirements to hold the position of Secretary General of the Dominican Municipal League the person must have a college degree. How true is this? Is there access to a list of the requirements to be able to qualify for this position.

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
A.Hidalgo,

I deleted your duplicate post and hope you don't mind.

I don't know what the prerequisites are but I doubt very seriously that a college degree is one of them. Having said that then allow me to also add that acquiring a lot of degrees are comparatively easy here when compared to countries like the US. As you have asked the question I will investigate it unless another board member has the answer.

Rick

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
After researching the Dominican constitution the only government position that state a required degree are for Judges of the Supreme Court and other Judges, ( Ser licenciado o doctor en Derecho), General Prosecutor and the Camara de Cuentas.

These positions require the normal citizenship as well as a residency requirement, the college degree and time spent as a lawyer prior to taking the position.

The position of Justice of the peace and prosecutors require they be lawyers but put no stipulation about having a college degree as the other position did. Strange!!

Rick

something_of_the_night

Has left the building...
Feb 7, 2006
Hidalgo,

Firstly, since that article was published, Mr. Aristy acquired a law degree, although one is not required to lead the LMD. Secondly, all judicial positions--juez de instrucción; juez de primera instancia; etc.--require the officeholder to be a licensed attorney. The office of the Juzgado de Paz has to be a licensed attorney if he/she heads the province office, but in the municipalities, said requirement is not necessary if a licensed attorney is not available.

Also, some degrees are harder to acquire in the DR than in the US, and vice versa.

-The Kid

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
I am wondering if there's a relation between the fact that the east is now the main platform for drug trade, and the fact that the east is Amable's kingdom, and finally that Amable's visa for the US has been revoked... ?????

Sep 20, 2003
I am wondering if there's a relation between the fact that the east is now the main platform for drug trade, and the fact that the east is Amable's kingdom, and finally that Amable's visa for the US has been revoked... ?????

That's what I have thought from the beginning of all of this.

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
I guess I?m just too slow on the pick-up but I think that you might be on to something. As this link states that visa ?revocation is ?more or less a solution" applied to some foreigners ?so that they don?t use the United States as base for their criminal activities and corruption", ?, and as his and his daughter?s providence seem to be the area of preferable choice for drug import it would stand to reason that the US is applying a sort of preventative maintenance in their war on drugs.

Though this article gives no indication that there is a connection between it and Aristy the fact remains that there may be a connection or that similar connections do exist.

If there is some sort of connection between him and drug trafficking and or money laundering or who knows what else then I wonder if that would in fact have any bearing in his running for president in 2008? Or is there the possibility that regardless of any connection his chances of running and possibly winning in 2008 are a reality?

Rick

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Amable has no chance whatsoever to sit in the Palacio in 2008...

Leonel should be smart enough to keep the seat for "at least" another 2 years (after this term), maybe 6 if he is a bit pushy...

PLD's boys are anyway, regardless of what Leonel decides, much more in favor, I would say Jaime David would make a good prez'...

Of course, Danilo is also on the starting blocks...

But the Reds are "dead men walking"... Amable don't stand a chance... Quique Antun would like to make a move also, however, el PRSC esta moribúndo...

:)

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Please excuse me for getting off subject but......................

?Seek and ye shall find? !

Interesting news hit the airways in regards to lawyers and in Spanish here.

Rick