Should there a limit for the amount of immigrants going to DR?

Don Polo.

Brain Donor
May 9, 2006
I think there should be.

Leonel spoke on this issue during the last year of his first administration but of course it got stuck in congress.

A country that small can't absorb more than 50,000 immigrants a year.I think there should be a cutoff.

Naturally,those who plan on investing in the country,have a skilled job contract or relative waiting for you there there should no number limit for them.

The children of dominicans as well should be covered in that.

As well as maybe taking in a few ten thousand haitians and no mas,just out of good will(they are our neighbors after all)and maybe that will cut down illegal immigration....:tired:

Point is there should be a regulation..just 'cause you're from Germany doesn't mean you're wealthy or should be allowed to reside and get in and out of the country like your one of us..:tired:

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
I think there should be.

Leonel spoke on this issue during the last year of his first administration but of course it got stuck in congress.

A country that small can't absorb more than 50,000 immigrants a year.I think there should be a cutoff.
How do you come to that very precise number?

Naturally,those who plan on investing in the country,have a skilled job contract or relative waiting for you there there should no number limit for them.

The children of dominicans as well should be covered in that.
If they're not Dominican citizens, have no plan to invest, skilled job contract or relative waiting, why exactly?

As well as maybe taking in a few ten thousand haitians and no mas,just out of good will(they are our neighbors after all)and maybe that will cut down illegal immigration....:tired:

Point is there should be a regulation..just 'cause you're from Germany doesn't mean you're wealthy or should be allowed to reside and get in and out of the country like your one of us..:tired:
Did you put in 'Germany' there just because you thought there are no German members here and you could not handle the reactions if you would have put in 'from Canada' or 'from the US'?

Don Polo.

Brain Donor
May 9, 2006
I put in germany because I know there is a ****load of german expats in what is supposed to be my home country (but isn't.)..

I think the children of dominican citizens--biological and legal --should be allowed to immigrate to the DR as they please.

They were born into at least more than I can say for certain .."guests"..:tired:

But most dominicans would rather be with a euro than with there own people returning to visit them,shoot the kids of american side dominicans are only a step above haitians to them,so who really cares?

I don't know but judging from the countries size and population and given the figures that i've read for countries of similar size(The UK gets about 150,000 immigrants annually)so I figure the DR with 10 million and 18,000m can only handle about 50,000 a year.

I doubt it's anywhere near that for legal residents but definitley with haitians it surpasses the 100,000 mark.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Part of the discussions surrounding the Constitutional Reform now in progress will deal with Article 11 that defines Dominican citizenship. This could become a key issue since there are hospitals along the border that servie as maternity units for Haitian women. Some of these report as much as 50% of births to Haitians.

As far as the comment on "Germans" , the OP is out of line. However, this stereotype of the international crook or low-life has been accentuated by news reports of all types of European and North American nogoodniks.

Regarding immigration per se, I have never heard of any limits being placed on legal immigration to the Dominican Republic. An interesting idea, to say the least.

HB

Oh yeah, I moderate this forum so play nice now.

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Unwanted Germans

I put in germany because I know there is a ****load of german expats in what is supposed to be my home country (but isn't.)..
I do not know which your 'home country' is, but if it should be the DR:
1.Germans do not make up the largest number of expats here.
2.Foreigners have to pay for their 'residencia' biyearly.
3.Most of them are investors, employers and pay taxes and are law abiding guests (very often not treated as such).
In fact many contribute to the welfare and wellbeing of not so well-off Dominicans.

It has yet to be seen how Dominicans behave similarily in Europe.

In this respect I do support the aim of politicians and the authorities to screen immigrants more closely whether it be here or in other countries concerned.

m'frog

bilijou

Jun 13, 2006
Immigration policies should be based around the concepts of ?brain drain? and ?brain gain?. Notice how much these genie kids from the India and the Middle East are encouraged to study in the top US schools. They then go on to start companies in the US, generating wealth. The most famous example of it, the brain drain caused by the fleeing of the Jews from Germany (when people like Einstein come to the US).
Notice how much the Lebanese community has contributed to commerce, the Japanese that were brought during Trujillo and the Cocolos in the East. I?ve met a couple of very smart Haitian attending universities in DR. We should encourage this type of migration. We should encourage immigration that would inject new skills. This policy would be combined with a manual labor demand.

We should be smart about immigration? thinking up a cut off point (as the US did in the early 20th century) is not the best way to go about it. Not in the 21st century.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I am pretty sure it is US citizens leading the list.

And there is a list but i do not have the energy to go find it!!

HB

Mujermaravilla

Jun 15, 2006
guests (very often not treated as such).
In fact many contribute to the welfare and wellbeing of not so well-off Dominicans.

It has yet to be seen how Dominicans behave similarily in Europe.

m'frog

Ok Why do My post get closed sensored, deleted ETC ETC and someone can get away with saying Dominican in Europe for the most part do dot contribute to their new home !!!!!!!

1st of all the migration reasons are totaly different

2nd I don't think having a place where hookers can hang out so noble !!!! ( in some cases) (lots of cases)

I mean I get dizzy everytime I see these things... yet MY posts that bring up real issues get sensored !!! I mean gee !!!

I have a question... for the expats... not that is any of my business but...
1. Do you keep all of your money in DR banks? with DR pesos? or do you send it right back out of the country? or do you keep it in DR but in a Dollar account?

2. Do you take dollars, do you deal in only dollars? Hum?

3. why did you come to the DR to make money for yourself or to employ poor dominicans? how much of your profits do you pay out? how much taxes do you pay? Did you not come for cheap labor, low capital investment, preferable tax treatments, (or the posibility of easily cheating on taxes)

I mean be real, foreigners come spend their foreign money at stablishment owned by other foreigners the money comes right out of the DR and you are doing country a FAVOR ? .... thanks, but no thanks

shadInToronto

On Vacation....
Nov 16, 2003
Sorry, but ....

Ok Why do My post get closed sensored (sic) - censored - , deleted ETC ETC and someone can get away with saying Dominican in Europe for the most part do dot contribute to their new home !!!!!!!

I mean be real, foreigners come spend their foreign money at stablishment (sic) - establishments - owned by other foreigners the money comes right out of the DR and you are doing country a FAVOR ? .... thanks, but no thanks
I noticed .... ;)

shadInToronto

On Vacation....
Nov 16, 2003
I have a few question for you ....

I have a question... for the expats... not that is any of my business but...
1. Do you keep all of your money in DR banks? with DR pesos? or do you send it right back out of the country? or do you keep it in DR but in a Dollar account?

2. Do you take dollars, do you deal in only dollars? Hum?

3. why did you come to the DR to make money for yourself or to employ poor dominicans? how much of your profits do you pay out? how much taxes do you pay? Did you not come for cheap labor, low capital investment, preferable tax treatments, (or the posibility of easily cheating on taxes)

I mean be real, foreigners come spend their foreign money at stablishment owned by other foreigners the money comes right out of the DR and you are doing country a FAVOR ? .... thanks, but no thanks
Do you live in America, Canada, or an European Country? Would you be willing to go back to the DR to make it better? Do think you're doing better where you currently reside than if you were back in the DR? Do you really think Expats don't contribute to the DR's economy and are only interested in cheap labour? .... :cross-eye

Mujermaravilla

Jun 15, 2006
I live in USA
Go back, to make it better? too many things to fix and no laws / culture to fix it. Change starts in the mind of the people and domicians are not ready
I am doing better here, and I am greatful.
Expats do contribute but not as much as some people would like to think

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
corporanting,

I remember you. You?re the same (?) that got all belligerent about the individual looking for the best places to party on our little island.

You attacked me in the aforementioned thread and I would suggest that you don?t do it here.

Concerning your posts being edited or deleted. If you fail to follow the few rules that we have on this board then there is the possibility that the cited actions may take place.

I would also suggest that you backup and look at the OP, (original post), and read it. That should in fact give you an indication as to what should be discussed in this thread. If you should decide that you wish to discuss other matters then I would suggest that you start your own thread concerning those matters.

As your failure to spell properly is being brought out to the forefront I would also suggest that you place some effort into that also due to its serving as a headline banner to your possible education, disposition and general ability to converse in a coherent manner.

Rick

Mujermaravilla

Jun 15, 2006
ricky ricardo

I never have attacked you ... in fact I asked you to come out to dinner with me so... I actually enjoy your comments very much

Is there anywere that forbids race talks? if there is then forgive me I did not see that rule.

I Know what the OP says but I commented on what M FROG said... as far as am concerned let anybody who wants to go to the DR and live respecfuly go I don't care... as far as starting another thread I don't see the need.

as far as my spelling goes... Shad and I are working hand to hand on that situation and I think she/he has it under control... I trust that she and you if you wish will correct any mistakes I make...

As far as conversing in a coherent manner... well, I AM dominican... there is nothing I can do about that !!!!!!!

shadInToronto

On Vacation....
Nov 16, 2003
Think global, act local

I live in USA
Go back, to make it better? too many things to fix and no laws / culture to fix it. Change starts in the mind of the people and domicians are not ready
I am doing better here, and I am greatful.
Expats do contribute but not as much as some people would like to think
If you can't do anything to make things better for people in the DR, it's futile to criticize others who are trying. Unless you are willing to make personal sacrifices by giving up what you've achieved and acquired in the good ol' USA, you're just being a blow hard. The world is not fair, but it takes more than just words to make a difference :glasses:

Mujermaravilla

Jun 15, 2006
who says i am criticizing anybody

all I tried to say is that

1. M FROG said something very offensive

2. point out the fact that foreigners go to the DR in persue of their own personal gains..

I am a total capitalist. people should go where they can get the most money. where they have the most opportunity.

but let's not get confuse, is not charity. I see a lot of self-righteous individuals.