MALARIA EN PUNTA CANA urgente!!!

L

Luz

I've heard about cases of malaria. Can anybody tell me if i have to take any vaccine for that. What is the real situation in Punta Cana? Any chances of getting malaria or dengue?

M

Me

There are occassional cases of malaria in the DR. There were also 2 cases reported in New York last month! Denghue is more of a danger than malaria. It is recommended that one take precautions against mosquitoes in all of the Western Hemisphere. Bring a good repellent with you. I use a mosquito net at night. But don't panic. I do think the government could do better at mosquito control than it is doing, and hope they organize and make an attempt to minimize the mosquito population by going after breeding grounds, some spraying, and educating the people how to eliminate breeding grounds on their properties...not have pools of standing water, and covering the barrels that hold their water, etc.

J

J

I just spoke to the Texas State Health Dept in Austin, Texas last week. I spoke to the man who is over the epidemiology and travel dept (and he has been for 20 + years). He said the Dept of Health and the CDC are usually very conservative. However, there have been reports in the past few months of European travelers becoming infected with Malaria. These people were staying at resorts also, not even close to the Haiti border. So now they are suggesting that you take Chloroquine (Aralen). This is a prescription you will have to get from your medical doctor. You need to start taking it one week before you go. They also say you need to get an updated Tetanus shot and a Hepatitis A shot. We are going to the DR and got our shots today!